Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pushing the artistic boundaries of skating

Custom Title
    The Kerrs haven't been mentioned in this thread yet but their programs have often been referred to as innovative ones. For example their Enigma free skate seems to me quite unusual for ice dancing. And they had the Linkin Park free dance in the olympic season which is something that not many skaters would risk I guess. I love these programs and their other ones too.

Custom Title
    Wouldn't it make sense that sibling pairs/dance couples would have to push the artistic boundaries more often because a whole genre that makes up probably 80% of programs is closed to them? (ie, romance?)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Wouldn't it make sense that sibling pairs/dance couples would have to push the artistic boundaries more often because a whole genre that makes up probably 80% of programs is closed to them? (ie, romance?)
    It does make sense of course. However it's still something new to the spectators regardless of the reason why they choose themes like those.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    What an interesting thought! That never occurred to me, but the minute you mentioned it, it makes such good sense. Sometimes a limitation in one direction brings innovation in another--much the way that the Hays censorship code in Hollywood created such imaginative movie love stories. The Duchesnays are another example of expressiveness achieved by a couple who couldn't skate romantically because of the "squick" possibilities.

Another thing that strikes me is that often the most innovative skaters aren't the ones at the very top. They are a little less invested in pleasing the judges, perhaps, so they don't mind losing points by trying something new. (Of course there are exceptions, such as Torvill and Dean and John Curry.) I'm thinking of people such as Rahkamo and Kokko, Norbert Schramm, and Igor Bobrin.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3