Who is/are Your Favorite Choreographers? | Golden Skate

Who is/are Your Favorite Choreographers?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
My favorite choreographers are:

David Wilson
Sandra Bezic
Lori Nichol
Christopher Dean
Shae-Lynn Bourne
and of course I must add:
Jeff Buttle's name to the list.

Of course, there are many other names I could add here, but I always enjoy programs created by these choreographers.

deedee1

Record Breaker
For me, Alexander Zhulin, Evgeni Platov and Kenji Miyamoto! :biggrin:
I guess I forever belong to the minority on GS Forum...in every way...I know! ;)

I wouldn't have thought of Zhulin, but the minute you mentioned him, I remembered that great Kurt Browning "Summertime" program that I think Zhulin choreographed. For the rest, I agree with Ladskater that Wilson, Bezic, Nichol, and Dean top my list.

I'd also like to add dance choreographer Lar Lubovich, who made several fine programs for various skaters through the years. There was one Paul Wylie program (whose name I can't even remember) that was especially appealing.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
My list is:
1) Lori Nichol
2) David Wilson
3) Pasquale Camerlengo
4) Jeffrey Buttle
5) Cristopher Dean

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wilson, Dickson, Camerlengo, Ward, Allen, Farris (hehehehehehe).

Most disliked: Nichol, Tarasova

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
Ellen Burka.... choreographed for Toller and others.
Slavka Kohout.... choreographed for Janet Lynn and others including Mark Mitchell (1993 LP).
John Curry.... choreographed for himself, his Ice Ballet, Janet Lynn (1982 Blue Danube) and others.
Sandra Bezic.... choreographed for Dorothy Hamill, Brian Boitano, Kristi Yamaguchi and numerous female singles skaters and even pairs - Underhill & Martini (as professionals).
Tamara Moskvina... she has created numerous masterpieces for her pair teams (and some experimental failures too).
Barbara Flowers... choreographed for Rosalyn Sumners (1983) and Tonya Harding (1991). RIP. Her strength was bringing out the individual skater's talents and showcasing them. Look at how different Rosalyn and Tonya were, but look at their wonderful programs highlighting their abilities.
Ricky Harris....choreographed for Scott Hamilton and numeorus ice shows.
Sarah Kawahara....enough said. She choreographed for EVERYONE from Dorothy to Scott H. to Michelle Kwan ...
Martin Skotnicky.... he has done wonders with numerous Dance teams
Toller Cranston... his SP for Kadavy in the 1988 Olympics is a wonderful example of his talents.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I agree with many of these choices (particularly David Wilson and Lori Nichol). I also loved a few of Abbott's self-choreographed programs.

mskater93

Record Breaker
deedee-you linked my reply versus the youtube video. :) If you youtube "Braden Overett" it's the one in the black costume. The step sequence at the beginning of the program is just perfectly fitting to POTC (and I hate that overused music). It's clever and plays to his strengths as a skater. If I was near his current grounds in CA, I would seriously consider having him choreograph for me!

gkelly

Record Breaker
I'd also like to add dance choreographer Lar Lubovich, who made several fine programs for various skaters through the years. There was one Paul Wylie program (whose name I can't even remember) that was especially appealing.

He did two programs for Wylie ca. 1996-97 IIRC. One was to "Touch Me" by the Doors and the other to a Bach piece.

I can't find either of them on youtube. :(

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I think almost everything Tamara Moskvina has touched has been brilliant.
Sandra Bezic was a favorite of mine, especially her work with Kristi and Brian.
As a huge Sasha fan I would have to give credit to Tatiana, Nikolai, Marina, Brian Wilson, Lori Nichol and Mr. Nicks all who contributed to her amazing presentation. Sasha is a perfect example of skaters needing to expand their horizons working with different choreographers.
Also, Jill Trenary's 1990 LP with Renee Roca, as well as "These Boots Were Made for Walking" with Christoher Dean.
I'm sure I am missing someone....

meem

On the Ice
I only have two: Lori Nichols and Pasquale Camerlengo. IMO they know what to do with a skater's hands, arms, head (i.e., nothing excessive, thank God!)