Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sytycd

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post

I was surprised the both Jade and BluPrint made the cut. After their battle, I really thought the #10 spot would be given as choice between the 2 of them. Instead, they both got in. It was an awesome # they did together though.
    Yeah, I didn't really expect that either, especially since the judges have been rather critical of their "partnering abilities" and weakness in other dance styles. Curious to see how they do.

Liked that last routine with Amy (so she's in after all) and Jasmine...what styles do they specialize in? Are they contemp dancers? They made a point of mentioning everyone else's style and having them dance in it, but these were just "the last two girls."

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    Anyone watching tonight? Top 20 are revealed.

On a critical note, I'm really sick of these "Oh we don't know if you're right for the show..." hemming and hawing, followed by stunning them with the good news that they're "going to VEGAAAAAS!" or "in the top TWENTAAAAAAAY!".
    I agree 100% with your comments....it seems so childish. Another irritant of mine is Adam Shankman. His crying with no tears really makes me want to chew on glass. Years before I could hardly stand Nigel but have always been able to tolerate Mary and her hot tamale train....woooo hooo!!! I think I have a problem!!

It seems like there are some really strong dancers that are standouts so far.

So the last two females selected specialize in jazz...

The Top 20

Females

Alexis Juliano, Tap
    Amy Yakima, Jazz
    Brittany Cherry, Ballroom
    Hayley Erbert, Contemporary
    Jasmine Harper, Contemporary
    Jasmine Mason, Jazz
    Jenna Johnson, Ballroom
    Makenzie Dustman, Contemporary
    Malece Miller, Contemporary
    Mariah Spears, Hip-Hop

Males

Aaron Turner, Tap
    Alan Bersten, Ballroom
    Carlos Garland, Contemporary
    Curtis Holland, Tap
    Dorian 'Bluprint' Hector, Animation
    Du-Shaunt 'Fik-Shun' Stegall, Hip-Hop
    Jade Zuberi, Animation
    Nico Greetham, Contemporary
    Paul Karmiryan, Ballroom
    Tucker Knox, Contemporary

Interesting that the 2 "animators" made it into the Top 20. Last night America's Got Talent had an animator that put both of these 2 to shame! He got voted on into Vegas, and I hope he makes it into the finals.

That being said, I love SYTYCD and especially seeing how hiphoppers make it past the ballroom dances!

I'm wondering if viewers might get the 2 ballroom girls confused with each other. They have similar coloring, etc - the only noteworthy difference between the 2 (when not close up) is their height. I had a hard time remember which was which during their group #.

The judges did mention that they were taking risks with some of their selections for the top 20 - I assume picking personalities with good skills vs ok personality with stronger skills. It really puts the weaker dancers partners at risk, too. I'm sure FikShun is one of the riskier choices - kid's got a great deal of charisma and, for me, he seems less mature than the others.

I do think that this is a pretty strong Top 20!

Fun opening # tonight! and the amazing Travis Wall choreographed an amazing #!

The choreography of the last number with Fiction and his partner was the best. Plus the girl with the long legs -- boy does she have long legs!

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Plus the girl with the long legs -- boy does she have long legs!
    Was that with Aaron & Jasmine???

I really enjoyed the numbers from Sonja...she's really the best as well as Travis Wall.

All the Hip Hop boys (Jade, Bluprint, Fik Shun) were surprisingly good. I recall that Nigel said that Bluprint picked up choreography better than Cyrus from last season. Fik Shun definitely was not a 'kid' in his #. The judges/production did a nice job with the pairings.

I agreed with the judges and felt that Nico and ? didn't have swag in their hip hop.

I think the show tries to pull the wool over over our eyes with these male hip hop dancers. They pretend that these guys are just street dancers who never had any formal training in other styles -- then when they do ballroom, modern, etc., Nigel pretends to be astonished.

There is no reality in reality TV.

Custom Title
    Overall this top 20 is one of the strongest ever this season. The crump girl is IMO the weakest of the ladies. As for the guys, Fik-shun and Blueprint were a delightful surprise. I guess I would eliminate Jade.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    I watched this with family the other night. I think the couple that did the retro-style Broadway number were the most entertaining. I agree with the panelist who said the boy reminded him of O'Connor.

I also like the dance near the end... the boy was the tapper and seemed to be larger than the other boys. The whole feel of the piece (for me, not sure it was intended) was Louisiana bayou. Very primitive and raw. I liked it a lot.

And, like Fik-shun, whenever I want to show my serious side, I take off all my clothes and dance with a white girl. Line of the night!

Custom Title
    Just had a chance to watch the show I taped from Tuesday. Mariah (the crump girl) and Jade were my pick to leave the show and they were in the bottom 4, but for some reason unknown to me, they were saved. On to next week.

Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Just had a chance to watch the show I taped from Tuesday. Mariah (the crump girl) and Jade were my pick to leave the show and they were in the bottom 4, but for some reason unknown to me, they were saved. On to next week.
    My guess is that the judges made their decision based upon what the choreographers wanted - it's possible that a majority wanted the opportunity to work with Mariah and Jade over Brittany and the guy that was eliminated. The dance for your lives was their last chance to override the decision made by the judges and choreographers and public. If they had impressed the judges enough, it could have changed the judges' votes.

The public vote doesn't decide the elimination until the top 10.

Forgot to mention that eliminating any of the top 20 would've been tough after week 1 of competition. With the exception of Alexis and Nico, they all performed really well and Alexis and Nico weren't bad, they just weren't as good as the others from a performance (not technical) standpoint.

Right now my favorites are Fik Shun, Amy and the 2 Jasmine's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast