Thread: Prosecutor throws out Plushenko slander complaint

Hybrid View

Prosecutor throws out Plushenko slander complaint

MOSCOW, May 21 (RAPSI) – The Moscow prosecutor’s office will not to pursue a criminal investigation against a television commentator who figure skating star Evgeny Plushenko claims slandered him earlier this year, a law enforcement source told RAPSI on Tuesday.

More

Custom Title
    *shakes head* I do not understand how this case cannot go ahead. Claiming that a sportsman faked an injury is the ultimate slander. He may as well have suggested that Plushenko was on steroids. (Ooops. Better not give the NBC ideas.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Claiming that a sportsman faked an injury is the ultimate slander.
    This guy deserves a slap on the wrist at best. Paying $165,000 for a single "in my opinion" comment is hardly a suitable fine, even if such a comment was being disrespectful. Countless people have slanderously/libellously asserted that Obama is a terrorist or that he's faking his nationality and you don't find them getting sued.

If anything, suing the guy (instead of just ignoring him or dismissing it as incorrect and without grounds) just makes one question if his statement did actually hit a nerve. It's like when Joubert sued that tabloid for saying he was gay (I mean, who really cares). When you doth protest too much, it makes people actually start to wonder...

My thoughts after the Euros SP: "Well, he's in 6th, has no chance of winning and likely needs to skate close to his best to even medal. So, his pristine podium record is at stake, including his credibility and standing if he loses to Fernandez/Amodio/Brezina/Joubert or even one of his own countrymen. If he's actually injured, there's no point further injuring himself trying to get a bronze medal." I give him the benefit of the doubt and agree that he likely was too injured to compete in the FS, but I don't believe for a second 100% of what comes out of the Mishin camp -- if Plushenko weren't injured, I could totally picture them citing an injury and pulling him out for the reasons just stated.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    This guy deserves a slap on the wrist at best. Paying $165,000 for a single "in my opinion" comment is hardly a suitable fine,
    Here I agree with you. In the US in some states they jailed some people for slander.
    It's like when Joubert sued that tabloid for saying he was gay (I mean, who really cares). When you doth protest too much, it makes people actually start to wonder...
    You just revealed quite a noticable feature of yourself- cowardness. I heard from Canadians and especially from Americans that people there are afraid to act out. France is different. There if you are quiet, people can actually start wonder. Keep in mind that cultural aspect when you come with your next rant.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Here I agree with you. In the US in some states they jailed some people for slander.
    No, I'm saying that he should NOT pay $165,000 for a comment that was "in his opinion". Btw, since 2004 in the US nobody has ever been incarcerated for defamation/libel/insult. In Russia, incarceration is only in a select few cases and Russian law acknowledges this as for the most severe defamation/libel/insult (usually against government officials and important people). In Russia, one can certainly be fined for insult that "denigrates the honour and dignity of another person in an indecent form", but that usually depends on the severity of the insult and how it's directed. That television commentator was providing his own opinion and not stating a fact (and qualified it with it being his opinion due to how it was being presented in the media)... so, essentially, it's a terrible thing to say or insinuate - particularly with no evidence - but ultimately, he's stating one's opinion and prefaced it with that.

Do you think Skate Canada should sue Plushenko for his defamatory tweet that questioned their integrity by implying that their manipulation and politicking resulted in Chan's 2013 gold?

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    You just revealed quite a noticable feature of yourself- cowardness. I heard from Canadians and especially from Americans that people there are afraid to act out. France is different. There if you are quiet, people can actually start wonder. Keep in mind that cultural aspect when you come with your next rant.
    This makes absolutely no sense but I'll try to decipher your incoherent rambling. There are plenty of North Americans who are out -- especially in Canada where gay marriage is legal. In France, gay marriage is also legal, so I don't see your point that that "if you're quiet, people actually start to wonder". Yes, homophobia will be everywhere, but if somebody accuses you of being gay, if you're a sensible person you don't sue them -- you either ignore them or just say "No, I'm not" and leave it at that. Just like if somebody says you're faking an injury, you either ignore them or you make a statement that their statement is false.

Suing them puts you in a bad light -- and now that he's lost the slander complaint, I would bet some people might actually think that the TV commentator was actually correct since he wasn't successfully fined. It all adds fuel to a fire that doesn't even need to be started in the first place.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Btw, since 2004 in the US nobody has ever been incarcerated for defamation/libel/insult.
    Criminal reposnsibility is not cancelled in some states. Therefore anyone can be charged, found guilty and jailed at any time.
    In Russia, incarceration is only in a select few cases and Russian law acknowledges this as for the most severe defamation/libel/insult (usually against government officials and important people). In Russia, one can certainly be fined for insult that "denigrates the honour and dignity of another person in an indecent form", but that usually depends on the severity of the insult and how it's directed. That television commentator was providing his own opinion and not stating a fact (and qualified it with it being his opinion due to how it was being presented in the media)... so, essentially, it's a terrible thing to say or insinuate - particularly with no evidence - but ultimately, he's stating one's opinion and prefaced it with that.
    Lol to where the trolling can take the poor thing. Now he is acting as an the expert on Russian law. And is silly enough to demonstrate that the doesn't event speak Russian, not saying about knowing the legal mechanism and the procedure. None of your sentence is correct. You have zero knowledge or expertise on the subject. But you have the unlimited desire to troll. Now on Russian law.
    Do you think Skate Canada should sue Plushenko for his defamatory tweet that questioned their integrity by implying that their manipulation and politicking resulted in Chan's 2013 gold?
    Great idea! Maybe the civil court will do what ISU was supposed to do- judge fairly.
    This makes absolutely no sense but I'll try to decipher your incoherent rambling.
    Of course it doesn't make sense for you. You are not Euro, not French, not straight and not Brian Joubert. I'm at least two of those. So unlike you I can imagine how he felt and why he sued.
    In France, gay marriage is also legal, so I don't see your point that that "if you're quiet, people actually start to wonder".
    You are incorrect again. In France gay marriages became legal just a couple of days ago. There were not at the time when Brian's lawsuit took place. Stop posting incorrcet information.
    In Yes, homophobia will be everywhere, but if somebody accuses you of being gay, if you're a sensible person you don't sue them -- you either ignore them or just say "No, I'm not" and leave it at that. Just like if somebody says you're faking an injury, you either ignore them or you make a statement that their statement is false.
    If you were right, the jurisprudence wouldn't have laws on slander and defamation in the first place. But you are not.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    MOSCOW, May 21 (RAPSI) – The Moscow prosecutor’s office will not to pursue a criminal investigation against a television commentator who figure skating star Evgeny Plushenko claims slandered him earlier this year, a law enforcement source told RAPSI on Tuesday.

More
    What is this source? Do they even speak Russian? The only correct phrase is “The prosecutor’s office again quashed the decision not to institute criminal proceedings,” which corrresponds to the Russian "Отказ возбудить дело о клевете по заявлению Плющенко вновь отменен", the news that was in R-media a couple of days ago: http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20130521/663314082.html . But the meaning of it is completely the opposite than the title of this source "Prosecutor throws out Plushenko slander complaint." It means that the prosecutor again disagrreed with the police decision not to start the criminal proceeding against Zhurankov. They canceled the police decision, the second time btw, and sent the case back to police for additional examination and expertise. The criminal saga is not closed. On the contrary, it's going on. And the way how the prosecutor keeps insisting doesn't look good for Durankov.

Also, the phrase "Plushenko had attempted private prosecution" is incorrect either. Private prosecution is a separate procedure under the R-criminal code. Plu didn't file any. The remark of his lawyer was about the civil lawsuit that they intend to file.