Help needed for translation from non-English to English | Golden Skate

Help needed for translation from non-English to English

Hamil

Rinkside
Hello, I have enjoyed Laura Lepisto's commentary a lot that was translated by Glam
a month ago. I'd like to thank you again Glam for your time and effort. :)

I have another set of Yuna's videos in non-English that I'd like to be
translated to English. Hopefully this allows people like me who can understand
only English to get a glimpse of how she is regarded in non-English speaking
countries. Also, the translated videos might serve future figure skating lovers
to get a chance to be introduced to one of the greatest.

I hope this doesn't cause too much trouble for the kindhearted person who
is willing to help. :biggrin: I would appreciate all your help. And thank you in advance.

1. German, 2013 Worlds Short
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJpiGcCe_8Q&feature=player_embedded

2. Italian, 2013 Worlds Short
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=z3jlYDZHtqE

3. Spanish, 2013 Worlds Short
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7jAG6uUmhA&feature=player_embedded

4. Spanish, 2013 Worlds Gala
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXUOTzIBS1w&feature=player_embedded

On a side note, if you want to help, would you please put some timestamps
(like minute and second) in your translation. This is for the case
your translation is added to the video as subtitles. Thank you again!!!

If you still try some more, here you go.

5. Russian, 2013 Worlds Free Skate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xESAdxIlML8&feature=player_embedded

6. Italian, 2013 Worlds Free Skate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqUDKJePu7s&feature=player_embedded

7. French, 2013 Worlds Free Skate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ubEPE5TEuU&feature=player_embedded

8. German, 2013 Worlds Free Skate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K54XFPAWs&feature=player_embedded

9. Polish, 2013 Worlds Free Skate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUmAwwmWLqs&feature=player_embedded

10. Czech, 2013 Worlds Free Skate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=194DkjX9cCg&feature=player_embedded

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Here's my translation of Kim's SP with Italian commentary (2 on your list). I hope it will be useful.

00:02-00:38 Kim Yu-na, the Olympic champion, is coming back after a break: she didn't compete at World Championship for nearly 24 months. During this season she entered some Senior B competitions, last December she won at Dortmund , where she showed her programs: let's see her Worlds comeback short program, “The Kiss of the Vampire”.

00:50- 01:06 She starts with a triple lutz-triple toeloop combination, a fabulous one, it hasn't got any worse since when Kim dominated world stage, some time ago.

01:12-01:24 Here is the step precending her triple flip, that gave her some small problems, not with the flow out or overall quality of the jump, but with the taking-off edge.

01:27-01:51 She wasn't perfect in entering her flying camel, either, she probably lost some points: actually, you have to reach your basic camel position within two turns since the landing to make the feature count.

01:52-01:57 Then, double axel, so three perfect jump elements as for the landing.

02:09-02:18 Level 3 Layback spin, but this one was intended to be a level 3.

02:54-03:32 Her last element is a combination spin; anyway, a helluva comeback, even if she was probably expecting some points more, as she stated after the competition. She wasn't happy about losing a level in her flying camel spin, but honestly – we saw many videos these days - she wasn't perfect on it; as for her layback spin, honestly she couldn't have got a level four because she's missing a feature.

03:33-04:14 Yes, her layback spin was intended to get level 3, and level 3 it got; her flying camel was intended to get level 4, but in my opinion her landing wasn't perfect, so she hit camel position some turns later, and therefore lost a feature. It was a pardonable error, not a gross nor a very noticeable one, nonetheless it was a mistake, so it was a reasonable call by the technical panel.

04:15-04:27 Her performance is excellent, first and foremost this combination, entered with incredible speed, that will get her a lot of positive GOEs.

04:28-05:17 On the other hand, we must say that her flip got wrong edge calls even before her sabbatical, even though it's not an outside nor a proper inside edge: it's more a flat edge, and according to new rules a wrong one, as it was called. Old rules where more lenient, but Kim got some edge calls even under those, so it was nearly inavoidable. Other than that, judges may give it a good evaluation, because the jump had great quality, so much speed going in and out of it, good air position and preceding steps.

05:18-05:42 Her combination, instead, had great speed but it was obtained without transitions, many crossovers preceding it, and this is true both for her short and long program. To speak frankly, she's always done that before her lutz, even with the solo lutz in her long program: it's an acceptable choice.

05:43-06:12 Furthermore, that problem with the flip is well-known to Kim's staff, because she used to do triple flip-triple toeloop combinations, then she switched to lutz combinations in order to preserve the base value: it was some years ago. Her score is remarkable: as for the components, she got more than 33.18 only once. Will it be enough? This season Asada scored more than 70 points, but with a ratified triple axel.

Joubabe

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thank you, Bartlebooth for the translation. Very interesting to hear what commentators from other countries have to say. I wish US commentators were this informative!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I was going to do the Italian-english translation when I noticed that Bartlebooth had already done it... :laugh:

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Well, you're welcome for your thanks and thank you for your welcome!
I've been a long time lurker, and now I'm happy to give some contribution to this board.
So, now I translated Italian commentary of Kim's FP (6 on the list):

00:04- 00:34 Here comes the last athlete on the ice, Korea's Yu-na Kim. She's the great favourite after winning the short program with some margin, but she has to skate well, because Mao [Asada] and Carolina [Kostner] both scored very high, and both were really competitive, in spite of minor mistakes.
She chose to skate to Les Misérables.

00:58 Triple lutz-triple toeloop
01:19 Triple flip
01:30 Kim's reverse on her camel position is spectacular
01:53 Triple salchow
02:42 Second lutz – Fabulous triple lutz
03:06 Double Axel-double toeloop-double rittberger[loop]
03-23 Second salchow – triple salchow-double toeloop
04:20 Double axel; Kim's doing a perfect program

04:35-05:00 Audience is already clapping; I have goosebumps. The Olympic champion is back: where are we going to put her in the overall all-time classification? She belongs to the top three, and arguably she's the best. She's a prodigy! Nothing to add to this. Excellent! The whole Budweiser Garden Arena is giving a standing ovation to the coming-back queen, Kim Yu-na.

05:01-05:21 She comes back with two perfect programs, with confident [jump] landings, breathtaking speed, after two years her quality remained the same, she's still the queen, all we have to do is wait for her score. She needs 127.93 to win, and I can't believe she won't get more.

05:22-05:38 She did two impressive triple lutzes, one of them in combination with a triple toeloop, and if it doesn't take +3 GOE, then no combination will, two good triple salchows, two double axels, one preceded by Ina [Bauer], the other one by spiral [he's meaning “by spread eagle”].

05:39-06:16 Yes, yes, she's really extraordinary; her triple flip may be called “wrong edge”, but it isn't the worst case, in my opinion it's a fairly good flip, even if we didn't see it from the best camera angle. Well, sure she doesn't take off an outside edge, more a flat one, so according to this year's rules it's a wrong edge, but then you've to consider... well, the SP call was correct, but in my opinion her flip doesn't warrant strongly negative GOE.

06:22-06:33 Here we see again her first spectacular combination. But then, look at her grace and elegance! That's really rare, she can be compared to the likes of [Katarina] Witt.

06:34- 07:11 Yes, to be considered the best of all time, she needs a second Olympic gold medal, and she came back to get it. Witt competed many years ago, Kim has obviously more triple jumps, no doubt about it, we're talking about two different sports. We can only compare results, because on a technical level Kim is much better than Witt.

07:12-07:38 So let's discuss: is Kim going to beat Kostner on PCS? It's not easy to tell, because Kostner got a terrific PCS score, and Asada didn't even come close to her, she got more than two points less than her.

07:43-08:14 Wow, how much did she get? Well, Kim beats Kostner on PCS and, to be fair, today her performance was way better than everyone else's. She got 150 points at the Olympics, and back then a program contained more elements: you had a spiral sequence that was worth more than the choreo sequence. An extraordinary score for an extraordinary performance.

08:15-08:25 So, what was the most beautiful program at these WC? Chan's SP, Davis/White's FD, Volosozhar/Trankov's FP, and now we have Kim's FP.

08:26-09:03 It's hard to pick one, but Kim really didn't put a foot wrong, whereas Trankov fell in an otherwise breathtaking performance, Chan's quad in his SP wasn't landed perfectly, D/W were perfect, but perhaps Kim's comeback takes the cake: her program was marvellous! As I said before, she didn't put a foot wrong. Now we're going to re-watch her program ten times in a row.

09:04-09:31 Kostner was very good, too, and then Mao Asada... It was a great FP for the ladies, it's been a long time since the level was so high. Kim was missed, Ladies'skating needs her, she will push other skaters to take more risks, and it will be great for the competition.

Italy Eurosport commentators are Massimiliano Ambesi and Angelo Dolfini, a former skater. They are competent, insightful, although a bit biased. They are definitely IJS enthusiasts, so they are more into nowadays's skating and recent past than skating history. IMHO, they are pleasant to listen to if they are commenting on a favourite of theirs, much less if they are commenting on the performance of somebody they don't like. They're quite professional, though.

Sorry for the long post, but I chose to post the whole translation at a time.

Thanks so much, Bartlebooth! It's great to have these translations, and also your explanation of who the commentators are.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I was going to do the Italian-english translation when I noticed that Bartlebooth had already done it... :laugh:

I'd hate for you to miss the chance to translate some Italian for us, FSGMT!
I'd love to know the translations from Italian for:

Davis & White FD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2auou58sUa0

Cappellini & Lanotte FD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP_ISFLWuBE

Agafanova & Ucar SD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bSc6kr921E

(I hope they explain the music penalties this team got)

jaylee

Medalist
Thank you bartlebooth for taking the time to translate! I really enjoyed reading the Italian commentaries.

Hello, I have enjoyed Laura Lepisto's commentary a lot that was translated by Glam
a month ago. I'd like to thank you again Glam for your time and effort. :)

I have another set of Yuna's videos in non-English that I'd like to be
translated to English. Hopefully this allows people like me who can understand
only English to get a glimpse of how she is regarded in non-English speaking
countries. Also, the translated videos might serve future figure skating lovers
to get a chance to be introduced to one of the greatest.

Fan translations of the German, French, and Russian Eurosport commentaries have been posted here: http://yunaforum.com/wiki/all_commentaries_-_2013_worlds

:) One fan even did a translation of the Swedish commentary of Yu-Na's 2013 Worlds FS performance off of their own recording, as the video isn't available anywhere online. Even though one can't hear their voice, one can read the commentary and see how moved they were.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
1. It is translation from the Czech TV:

0:03-0:18-The audience is welcoming Kim Yu-na with enthusiastic applause. She is a hero of the Vancouver Olympic Games and Korean star. Many Korean fans are here in Canada to support her.
0:23-0:39-Even though she doesn´t train under Canadian coach Brian Orser now, she has got many fans in Canada. And Yu-na Kim with her Korean coaches wants reaches the top positions.
0:40-0:45-The music is from musical Les Miserables by Claude-Michel Schonberg.
0:46-0:48-Kim is on the first place after the SP.
1:00-1:02-triple lutz, triple toeloop
1:20-triple flip
1:54-triple salchow and look at this beautiful exits of jumps.
2:47-triple lutz
3:10-double axel, double toeloop, double loop
3:26-triple salchow, double toeloop
4:21-double axel
5:00-We´ve seen a new world champion.
5:06-5:24-Olympic champion from Vancouver came back after a long break, just with one competition in this season (before Worlds) and now she´s winning with a huge lead.
5:26-5:33-Her free program was definitely the highlight of this evening and it´s one of the highlights of this World Championships.
5:36-5:54-With this program we can compare just free dances of Davis/White and Virtue/Moir, both programs of Volosozhar/Trankov and maybe Patrick Chan´s short program, but Korean skater Kim Yu-na is a phenomenon in ladies category.
5:58-It was a program, which has got everything.
6:07-It was a program, where we could see a beautiful, high, light jumps with 100% exits, perfect spins, beautiful step and choreo sequence. Look at this incredible certainty in jumps.
6:27-Triple lutz, triple toeloop combination, the most difficult combination in ladies figure skating and she landed it as one of the best tonight.
6:42-Unlike Kostner and Asada, there aren´t long preparations before jumps.
6:58-And moreover the beautiful music, which is perfect for interpretation of 22-years old Kim Yu-na.
7:13-She has to earn 127 points to win, but Kim will attack mark on another level.
7:28-Maybe, she will attack the highest winning at this World Championships. The highest winning of Volosozhar/Trankov from Russia is winning over 20 points.
7:45-148.34 points! It is just a little less than her personal best and world record, but it´s the clear gold medal. Winning with 218.31 points and she´s the only, who attack 200 points tonight.
8:12-Her rivals can look at her only with respect and maybe little envy. Korean skater, which is sometimes called the Queen, is back on the world throne.

^ Thank you for the translation, Sophie-Anna, and welcome to the forum. Post often, post long! :)

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'd hate for you to miss the chance to translate some Italian for us, FSGMT!
I'd love to know the translations from Italian for:

Davis & White FD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2auou58sUa0

Cappellini & Lanotte FD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP_ISFLWuBE

Agafanova & Ucar SD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bSc6kr921E

(I hope they explain the music penalties this team got)
The translation for D/W FD:
0:00-0:10 (They're talking about C/L) Absolutely... Very good, for now it's excellent, let's see what happens in the ranking now. Very good.
0:10-0:49 Now, the battle for the gold. [D/W] They're first in the ranking [after the SD] with a good score of 77.12, 73.87 for V/M. Meryl Davis/Charlie White: they have all the record scores in Ice Dance. This program is fantastic... (F. Bianconi talks now) Now, Arianna, let's try not to cry because the emotions here are too much, three pairs like this [in a row]... This has already made us cry in front of a screen, imagine now live... (A. Secondini again) And they present this beautiful program on the music of Notre Dame de Paris by Riccardo Cocciante.
1:12 Fantastic: she did a flying camel and she then was able to turn [her upper body]
4:59-5:49 (They talk to each other now, Bianconi and Secondini with Scali) This program goes right to your heart! What intensity! Really incredible! And look at them: [they're] really satisfied, they gave everything they could, too. They felt that this arena didn't cheer for them, but this audience clapped at them. (Scali) And look at the standing ovation! (Secondini) And there are obviously a lot of American flags; really beautiful, this program is really wonderful. (Bianconi is looking at the panel screen) There were a lot of reviews called, but all the levels 4 are confirmed, except the DiSt.
5:50-6:20 This program is beautiful from the beginning of the season, we're not ashamed to admit that we cried the first time we saw it. (Bianconi) Yeah, and seen live... (Secondini) it's an emotion that takes you... (Scali) and there's such an energy (he means intensity)... (Bianconi) she's as soft as a butterfly on the ice, and he stands out with that personality and that skating ability that is really impressive!
6:21 Look at how beautiful they're, even in the interpretation... He really, as Massimo [Scali] said before, talks with his body, his whole body talks and "tells" the music, and even in the technical moves, when he has to "handle" her, look at how many transitions when he's able to be elegant and precise...
6:54 This score is growing, I say it to you, it's really going up. (Bianconi) We'll have to see if... (Secondini) It's really a battle where they have a strong lead after the SD with 77.12 against V/M's 73.87. They need 107.93 or more to be in first position and hope to win the gold. They won silver last year, the gold two years ago and the silver in 2010.
And then they basically read the scores...

Hamil

Rinkside
bartlebooth, Sophie-Anna, FSGMT, thank you all so much. I really really appreciate it!

Hamil

Rinkside
Thanks a lot, Jaylee for the information. I took a look at the site and
found out it had lots of excellent English translations, but looks like it's
still lacking some out of those mentioned in my original posting.

For short and Gala, below are the ones that are still waiting for English translation.

3. Spanish, 2013 Worlds Short
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7jAG...layer_embedded

4. Spanish, 2013 Worlds Gala
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXUOT...layer_embedded

So, help from a Spanish speaker is still greatly appreciated.

FYI, the site that Jaylee mentioned has English translations for Free Skate
for the following languages.

French
French Eurosport
Japanese Fuji
German Eurosport
Norwegian Eurosport
Radio Canada
Russian EuroSport
Russia 2
Spain
Swiss
Swedish Eurosport

And the site also has a Gala translated from German to English.