Help needed for translation from non-English to English | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Help needed for translation from non-English to English

Robeye

Final Flight
bartlebooth, Sophie-Anna, FSGMT, thank you all so much. I really really appreciate it!
Huge appreciation for bartlebooth, Sophie-Anna, and FSGMT, for the translations! :yes:

I wish they would come out with truly fluent and usable universal translation programs already (I will not deign to even consider whatever it is that Google provides to be a translator. IMO, it might actually have a brighter future as an encryption device; the only problem being that it gives even more bizarre results when run in reverse :laugh:).

As an English-speaking viewer of skating, I have very occasionally seen translations of commentary from the German, French, Italian, Russian, Japanese, Korean, and various Scandinavian languages such as Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish, but I can say my cup runneth over now that I have had a taste of commentary in Czech. :)

(Actually, I haven't seen any translations from the Polish, not to mention native Kazakh, so maybe there are still things to look forward to. :cool:)

What wonderful, expressive commentary from the Italians. Thanks so much for the translation.

And from the Czech commentary, I was impressed by the remark that Kim needs much less preparation for her jumps than the other top contenders. It makes me realize how strong her technique still is. How lucky we are that she returned to skating. I hope she's enjoying this season as much as we are.

Poice

Final Flight
(Actually, I haven't seen any translations from the Polish, not to mention native Kazakh, so maybe there are still things to look forward to. :cool:)

I can try to do Polish translation but it will take some time because I'm not fluent in English ;/

Robeye

Final Flight
I can try to do Polish translation but it will take some time because I'm not fluent in English ;/
I take my hat off to you, Poice. :bow:

Please, take your time. It will be a lot faster than any attempt of mine of an English-to-Polish translation, I am sure, so I have absolutely no cause for complaint. :p

Poice

Final Flight
Ok, so I translated Polish commentary of Kim's FP. I'm not fluent in English so I hope for your understanding :) I really tried my best!

00:00 – 00:10
[They’re talking about Mao’s and Kostner’s programs, because they’re not satisfied with final standings.]
00:11 – 00:19
Osmond is at 7 place. And now the future of gold medal will be decided.
00:20 – 00:39
First after SP is starting last in LP. Olympic Champion after 2 years of absence returned and presented beautiful SP. The question is – did she pick on form? Because LP lasts 4 minutes and it requires better condition and more skills.
00:53 – 00:56
So Kostner and Asada are guaranteed medals.
01:01 – 01:08
3L-3T, good combination. Just like in SP.
01:10 – 01:11
Great start.
01:20 – 01:21
3F.
01:36 – 01:40
First spin - flying camel.
01:55 – 01:56
3S.
02:05 – 02:06
And now step sequence.
02:48 – 02:50
3Lz.
02:51 – 02:54
So long she’s heading straight for gold medal.
03:08 – 03:12
And after spread eagle 2A-2T-2R*. Bravo!
03:26 – 03:30
3S-2T.
03:58 – 04:05
And now choreography sequence preceding by layback spin.
04:21 – 04:23
2A.
04:44 – 04:52
This change foot spin is a very good highlight of this extraordinarily done program.
04:52 – 04:56
There was no 3R but probably she won gold.
04:57 – 04:59
Marek**….I beg you… [laughter :)]
05:00 – 05:46
This is absolutely… [I guess he couldn’t find proper words because of late hour (thanks to time zone);)]Today she was unreachable, despite the fact that she didn’t do 3R. She did 3Lz-3T, 3S, 3F. All jumps were of very good quality, dynamic, long, nicely landed, with no yank. She showed in every jump that she’s strong and picks on form.
05:47 – 06:00
Of course – all these elements must be placed in program. In her program there were no empty places, no hesitations before jumps.
06:02 – 06:20
Good spins, both sequences also nicely done. So…I think today was really hard to win with Korean.
06:27 – 06:30
I think she should win. Unless judges will surprise me again.
06:30 – 06:54
- I think the same as you, despite the fact that she had one triple jump less. She had six triples without 3R. But the quality of her jumps, the difficulty of them….
- I wish there will be no surprises, because one unpleasantness is enough. I’m thinking about Asada’s and Kostner’s final standings.
06:55 – 07:22
Points of Mao’s advantage in LP over Kostner were accurately counted. Kostner got extra points in PCS to secure her winning over Asada. I hope here - everything will reflect what we saw on the ice.
07:24 – 07:30
That was a really good program.
07:32 – 07:39
A lot of dynamics, confidence, she has everything that should have got a world champion.
07:40 – 07:50
Today the highest score was 134.37 and here…148! Yes, Yuna Kim won and won with huge score!
07:52 – 08:09
After two years of absence she really prepared herself. She didn’t compete in GPS, but in smaller competitions. Not coached by B. Orser but under Korean coaches. The Olympic Champion from Vancouver still is the best in the world.
08:10 – 08:33
Yes, congratulations to Yuna Kim but I really pity Mao Asada. She skated a very good program. There was a weaker moment during 3F, she hesitated, maybe she was disappointed after not quite clean 3A, but she did 3,5 turns in it.
08:33 – 09:13
- So we agree that in our opinion Mao Asada should win with C.Kostner. Kostner shouldn’t have so huge advantage in PCS.
- She shouldn’t have advantage at all. For me there is no doubt about that. Between those two skaters this is not right.
- So we’re going to make changes in final standings.
- Yes, we need eraser. :biggrin:
- In our opinion M. Asada should be second and Kostner third.
09:14 – 09:22
[They’re talking about others placements]
09:23 – 09:41
- Ok, we criticized Kostner but we should say that she bravely fought tonight. She skated a good program.
- Even better than program during European Championships where she won gold medal.
- Yes.

* Rittberger=Loop
** commentator's name ;)

That's all, I hope you enjoyed my translation :D

gourry

Final Flight
Wow, such a wonderful thread!
Thanks bartlebooth, Sophie-Anna, FSGMT, and Poice for those great translations. I deeply appreciate it! :bow:

Robeye

Final Flight
Ok, so I translated Polish commentary of Kim's FP. I'm not fluent in English so I hope for your understanding I really tried my best!

00:00 – 00:10
[They’re talking about Mao’s and Kostner’s programs, because they’re not satisfied with final standings.]
00:11 – 00:19
Osmond is at 7 place. And now the future of gold medal will be decided.
00:20 – 00:39
First after SP is starting last in LP. Olympic Champion after 2 years of absence returned and presented beautiful SP. The question is – did she pick on form? Because LP lasts 4 minutes and it requires better condition and more skills.
00:53 – 00:56
So Kostner and Asada are guaranteed medals.
01:01 – 01:08
3L-3T, good combination. Just like in SP.
01:10 – 01:11
Great start.
01:20 – 01:21
3F.
01:36 – 01:40
First spin - flying camel.
01:55 – 01:56
3S.
02:05 – 02:06
And now step sequence.
02:48 – 02:50
3Lz.
02:51 – 02:54
So long she’s heading straight for gold medal.
03:08 – 03:12
And after spread eagle 2A-2T-2R*. Bravo!
03:26 – 03:30
3S-2T.
03:58 – 04:05
And now choreography sequence preceding by layback spin.
04:21 – 04:23
2A.
04:44 – 04:52
This change foot spin is a very good highlight of this extraordinarily done program.
04:52 – 04:56
There was no 3R but probably she won gold.
04:57 – 04:59
Marek**….I beg you… [laughter]
05:00 – 05:46
This is absolutely… [I guess he couldn’t find proper words because of late hour (thanks to time zone)]Today she was unreachable, despite the fact that she didn’t do 3R. She did 3Lz-3T, 3S, 3F. All jumps were of very good quality, dynamic, long, nicely landed, with no yank. She showed in every jump that she’s strong and picks on form.
05:47 – 06:00
Of course – all these elements must be placed in program. In her program there were no empty places, no hesitations before jumps.
06:02 – 06:20
Good spins, both sequences also nicely done. So…I think today was really hard to win with Korean.
06:27 – 06:30
I think she should win. Unless judges will surprise me again.
06:30 – 06:54
- I think the same as you, despite the fact that she had one triple jump less. She had six triples without 3R. But the quality of her jumps, the difficulty of them….
- I wish there will be no surprises, because one unpleasantness is enough. I’m thinking about Asada’s and Kostner’s final standings.
06:55 – 07:22
Points of Mao’s advantage in LP over Kostner were accurately counted. Kostner got extra points in PCS to secure her winning over Asada. I hope here - everything will reflect what we saw on the ice.
07:24 – 07:30
That was a really good program.
07:32 – 07:39
A lot of dynamics, confidence, she has everything that should have got a world champion.
07:40 – 07:50
Today the highest score was 134.37 and here…148! Yes, Yuna Kim won and won with huge score!
07:52 – 08:09
After two years of absence she really prepared herself. She didn’t compete in GPS, but in smaller competitions. Not coached by B. Orser but under Korean coaches. The Olympic Champion from Vancouver still is the best in the world.
08:10 – 08:33
Yes, congratulations to Yuna Kim but I really pity Mao Asada. She skated a very good program. There was a weaker moment during 3F, she hesitated, maybe she was disappointed after not quite clean 3A, but she did 3,5 turns in it.
08:33 – 09:13
- So we agree that in our opinion Mao Asada should win with C.Kostner. Kostner shouldn’t have so huge advantage in PCS.
- She shouldn’t have advantage at all. For me there is no doubt about that. Between those two skaters this is not right.
- So we’re going to make changes in final standings.
- Yes, we need eraser.
- In our opinion M. Asada should be second and Kostner third.
09:14 – 09:22
[They’re talking about others placements]
09:23 – 09:41
- Ok, we criticized Kostner but we should say that she bravely fought tonight. She skated a good program.
- Even better than program during European Championships where she won gold medal.
- Yes.

* Rittberger=Loop
** commentator's name

That's all, I hope you enjoyed my translation :D
:points: Huge standing ovation for that translation, Poice! What? 'Not fluent in English'?!!! Nonsense! I wish some native English-speakers were as good as you! ;)

I quoted your entire translation to show the depth of my regard.

Also, although I know very little Polish ("kielbasa" and a few other words is the extent of my idiot's repertoire), it was immediately clear to me what the commentators meant by saying there was "no yank" in her jumps :)(I don't think it means she doesn't train with American coaches). There is a liquid quality to Yuna's jumps that is sui generis. You can see it in her entry. You can see it in her landings and flow out.

In the WC LP, when watching her rotations in flight, it was as if she had slowed down time, like she was some kind of future traveler who had managed to induce a localized time dilation right around her person. And I do not mean this merely as metaphor; I could literally see each and every rotation as clearly as I have ever seen anything in skating, particularly the two lutzes, the flip, and the axel. Check the video for yourselves and see if you agree with me. In this respect, the jumps were even better, IMO, than her Vancouver performance.

I believe this optical phenomenon has to do with a number of factors.

-First, her jumps are so high and wide, and she stays up so long in the air, that she literally has more time to perform the rotations.

-Second, the mechanics of her jumps are so incredibly relaxed, honed and pure and efficient, at this point, that every subcomponent becomes starkly visible. The best comparison that I can come up with is the spinning of a tire (I think the Michelle Maxxis tire commercial discussion might have been the subconscious spark for this :biggrin:). When you use a high quality tire that has been precision-manufactured, and properly mounted and aligned on an equally high-end car, watch the alloy-metal wheel when the tire spins. At some RPM, the spokes of the wheel will resolve into clear detail, and it will look like it is standing still.

On the other hand, if the tire is not perfectly made, has imperfections or bulges or wear that mar the radial symmetry, or if the metal wheel is banged up or bent, or if misalignment creates a wobble, then you don't see this optical illusion of the tire appearing to be at rest while in reality spinning at extremely high revolutions per second. On the contrary, the wheel will, very ironically (assuming that the laws of physics respect the rules of irony) appear to be rotating overly fast, almost hyperkinetic and in herky-jerky wriggling in all dimensions, if it doesn't actually fly off in a spectacular explosion of parts. In comparison to Yuna, this is the impression I get, in greater or lesser degree, when watching almost every other ladies skater.

When Yuna is in fettle, it is this sense of a relaxed yet inevitable, hugely powerful yet liquid, breathlessly fast yet with no sense of rush, mode of movement (as illustrated in this case by her jumps, but which in my view extends beyond just the jumps), which makes the term "celestial", an adjective I saw used in a Swiss article in reference to Yuna's LP skate, seem to me an apt way of describing the impression of the vast, gliding, frictionless, breathtakingly beautiful inexorability of bodies in motion, both stellar and Stella :)) Yuna's "Catholic" name).

When in such form, this is emblematic of why Yuna gets the GOE that she does.

^ I was just about to say that! (Possibly adding that the time traveller from the future with his local time dilating machine also had an anti-gravity device.)

Seriously, I think we can now close the post of the year contest. Indeed, you can just submit this paragraph (perhaps changing "fetter" to "fettle" ;) )

When Yuna is in fetter, it is this sense of a relaxed yet inevitable, hugely powerful yet liquid, breathlessly fast yet with no sense of rush, mode of movement (as illustrated in this case by her jumps, but which in my view extends beyond just the jumps), which makes the term "celestial", an adjective I saw used in a Swiss article in reference to Yuna's LP skate, seem to me an apt way of describing the impression of the vast, gliding, frictionless, breathtakingly beautiful inexorability of bodies in motion, both stellar and Stella ( Yuna's "Catholic" name).

If you want a hero's welcome, you should copy that into the thread on this topic at the (English) Yuna Kim Forum.

http://yunaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4649&st=0

By the way, this wheel thing was not so apparent in her previous performances, even the Olympics. That is why I said (on the thread about skaters who would excel in both 6.0 and IJS) that this is the finest skating performance ever -- an opinion that was not, however, universally supported on this board. ;)

What a wonderful set of paradoxes you and Robeye use to describe YuNa's skating, Math. And I love Poice's term of "no yank" in the jumps. That word is an ideal way of pointing out how effortless they are. When Fred Astaire danced (though it is known that he rehearsed each movement obsessively for weeks), it looked as if the law of gravity did not apply to him, much like YuNa. (With her, even the law about the ice being slippery doesn't seem to apply.)

The neat thing is that YuNa still seems to possess what is best about her skating. She hasn't lost anything in her time off. Maybe in some ways it's even more fun for her this time around, because she's already proved herself and can just explore the far reaches of her talent. Skaters like her make me glad to be a fan.

Poice

Final Flight
Robeye, Mathman, gourry and Olympia - thank you guys :eek::
And yes, that's exactly what commentators mean. Her jumps are effortless and so confident. About this ,,no yank" term - they also said that she doesn't hold down toe-pick (I guess it refers to her quick take-off from ice). And to be honest - for me her jumps look like in men competition (in a good way of course). They're high, long and you have no doubts about rotation. She's just unique, one of a kind.

Robeye

Final Flight
^ I was just about to say that! (Possibly adding that the time traveller from the future with his local time dilating machine also had an anti-gravity device.)

Seriously, I think we can now close the post of the year contest. Indeed, you can just submit this paragraph (perhaps changing "fetter" to "fettle" ;) )

If you want a hero's welcome, you should copy that into the thread on this topic at the (English) Yuna Kim Forum.

http://yunaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4649&st=0

By the way, this wheel thing was not so apparent in her previous performances, even the Olympics. That is why I said (on the thread about skaters who would excel in both 6.0 and IJS) that this is the finest skating performance ever -- an opinion that was not, however, universally supported on this board. ;)
Thanks very much for the catch :).

And even greater thanks for the kind words. :eek::

Also: I agree that in a lot of respects, her 2013 WC LP performance was even better than its counterpart in Vancouver. At Vancouver, there was still some tension and anxiety just ever so slightly visible in the elements and the performance. Here, none that I could discern. It was as if Yuna, having struggled to enter her personal nirvana at the Olympics, has now made a return in the manner of a skating bodhisattva, in tranquility and repose.

Edit: and yes, I also agree that this performance was, all things considered, the finest skating performance ever.

Robeye

Final Flight
Robeye, Mathman, gourry and Olympia - thank you guys :eek::
And yes, that's exactly what commentators mean. Her jumps are effortless and so confident. About this ,,no yank" term - they also said that she doesn't hold down toe-pick (I guess it refers to her quick take-off from ice). And to be honest - for me her jumps look like in men competition (in a good way of course). They're high, long and you have no doubts about rotation. She's just unique, one of a kind.
Thanks, Poice, for adding more details to the explanation. And I agree with your characterization. :yes:

(and thanks again one more time for the time and effort! :))

In the WC LP, when watching her rotations in flight, it was as if she had slowed down time, like she was some kind of future traveler who had managed to induce a localized time dilation right around her person. And I do not mean this merely as metaphor; I could literally see each and every rotation as clearly as I have ever seen anything in skating,...

I believe this optical phenomenon has to do with a number of factors...

-Second, the mechanics of her jumps are so incredibly relaxed, honed and pure and efficient, at this point, that every subcomponent becomes starkly visible. The best comparison that I can come up with is the spinning of a tire (I think the Michelle Maxxis tire commercial discussion might have been the subconscious spark for this :biggrin:). When you use a high quality tire that has been precision-manufactured, and properly mounted and aligned on an equally high-end car, watch the alloy-metal wheel when the tire spins. At some RPM, the spokes of the wheel will resolve into clear detail, and it will look like it is standing still.

Or like an egg beater. Yuna's legs are the blades. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPY-Hbn3ThI#t=0m10s