Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 83

Thread: Very early top 10 predictions per discipline for Sochi

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147

    Very early top 10 predictions per discipline for Sochi

    We are 9 months out from the Games. What would your early top 10 and podium predictions be for the Games. Here are mine:


    Men:

    Gold- Fernandez
    Silver- Takahashi
    Bronze- Hanyu
    4th- Chan
    5th- Aaron
    6th- Ten
    7th- Abbott
    8th- Reynolds
    9th- Joubert
    10th- Amodio



    Ladies:

    Gold- Kim
    Silver- Kostner
    Bronze- Suzuki
    4th- Asada
    5th- Wagner
    6th- Gold
    7th- Lipnitskaia
    8th- Sotnikova
    9th- Osmond
    10th- Murakami




    Dance:

    Gold- Davis & White
    Silver- Virtue & Moir
    Bronze- Capellini & Lanotte
    4th- Weaver & Poje
    5th- Bobrova & Soloviev
    6th- Chock & Bates
    7th- Pechalat & Bourzat
    8th- Ilinykh & Katsapalov
    9th- Hubbel & Donahue
    10th- Paul & Islam


    Pairs:

    Gold- Volosozhar & Trankov
    Silver- Barazova & Larionov
    Bronze- Pang & Tong
    4th- Savchenko & Szolkowy
    5th- Duhamel & Radford
    6th- Moore Towers & Moscovitch
    7th- Kavaguti & Smirnov
    8th- Denney & Coughlin
    9th- Peng & Zhang
    10th- Berton & Hotarek




    This will be a fun thread to look back on 9 months from now and see who did the best predicting the results early on.

  2. #2
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,545
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    We are 9 months out from the Games. What would your early top 10 and podium predictions be for the Games. Here are mine:


    Men:

    Gold- Fernandez
    Silver- Takahashi
    Bronze- Hanyu
    4th- Chan
    5th- Aaron
    6th- Ten
    7th- Abbott
    8th- Reynolds
    9th- Joubert
    10th- Amodio



    Ladies:

    Gold- Kim
    Silver- Kostner
    Bronze- Suzuki
    4th- Asada
    5th- Wagner
    6th- Gold
    7th- Lipnitskaia
    8th- Sotnikova
    9th- Osmond
    10th- Murakami




    Dance:

    Gold- Davis & White
    Silver- Virtue & Moir
    Bronze- Capellini & Lanotte
    4th- Weaver & Poje
    5th- Bobrova & Soloviev
    6th- Chock & Bates
    7th- Pechalat & Bourzat
    8th- Ilinykh & Katsapalov
    9th- Hubbel & Donahue
    10th- Paul & Islam


    Pairs:

    Gold- Volosozhar & Trankov
    Silver- Barazova & Larionov
    Bronze- Pang & Tong
    4th- Savchenko & Szolkowy
    5th- Duhamel & Radford
    6th- Moore Towers & Moscovitch
    7th- Kavaguti & Smirnov
    8th- Denney & Coughlin
    9th- Peng & Zhang
    10th- Berton & Hotarek




    This will be a fun thread to look back on 9 months from now and see who did the best predicting the results early on.
    Why do you think Suzuki will make such a big leap in Sochi? Particularly over Asada?

  3. #3
    ~high art~
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    636
    Akiko outskated Mao at the NHK Trophy and 4CCs this season and placed behind. I expect the same thing to happen in Sochi.

  4. #4
    Custom Title christinaskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,467
    i really think Kim will win Gold. Silver-4th places (Asada, Suzuki or Kostner).

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    256
    Ladies
    gold-Yuna
    silver-Sotnikova (with home advantage, and because i can't convinced Caro's consistency)
    bronze-Mao
    4th-Carolina
    5th-Zijun
    6th-Gold
    7th-Murakami
    8th-Akiko
    9th-Wagner
    10th-Tuk

    Mens
    Gold- Fernandez (is most consistency on quad with high quality in recent men's field)
    Silver- Hanyu
    Bronze- Chan(his consistency..)
    4th- Takahashi
    5th- Aaron
    6th- Ten
    7th- Joubert
    8th- Reynolds
    9th- Takahito Mura
    10th- Ross Miner

    Ice Dance (top 3)
    Gold- Davis & White / Virtue & Moir
    Silver- Virtue & Moir / Davis & White
    Bronze- Ilinykh & Katsapalov (my hope.. though it's unrealistic)

    Pairs (top 3)
    Gold- Volosozhar & Trankov
    Silver- Savchenko & Szolkowy
    Bronze- Pang & Tong

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,494
    1. Plushenko
    2. Chan
    3. Aaron
    4. Fernandez
    5. Hanyu
    6. Takahashi
    7. Miner
    8. Ten
    9. Amodio
    10. Joubert


    I still think Plushenko's unbreakable mental strength could be the decisive factor.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    560
    Ladies
    Gold-Yuna
    Silver-Carolina
    Bronze-Mao
    4th-Adelina or Gracie
    5th-Adelina or Gracie
    6th-Ashley
    7th-Akiko or Kanako
    8th-Akiko or Kanako
    9th-Zijun
    10th-Liza or Kaetlyn

    Ice dance
    Gold:Virtue/Moir(It's just my wish, but I don't think it's unlikely to happen, so...)
    Silver:Davis/White
    Bronze:Bobrova/Soloviev
    4th:C/L
    5th:W/P
    6th:C/B
    7th:P/B
    8th:I/K
    9th:S/S or H/D
    10th:I'm not sure, but possibly, third Russian ice dance team.

    Men
    1st:Fernandez
    2nd:Chan
    3rd:Hanyu
    4th:Takahashi
    5th:Aaron
    6th:Reynolds
    7th:3rd Japanese skater
    8th:Brezina
    9th:Amodio
    10th:Joubert

    Pairs(top 5)
    Gold:V/T
    Silver:S/S
    Bronze:D/R
    4th:M-T/M
    5th:P/T

  8. #8
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Ladies':
    Gold - Kim
    Silver - Kostner
    Bronze - Asada
    4th - Wagner
    5th - Gold
    6th - Murakami
    7th - Suzuki
    8th - Sotnikova
    9th - Tuktamysheva
    10th - Osmond
    11th - 3rd American lady

    (Disclaimer: The only prediction in which I currently have more than 70% confidence is Kim's. Kostner and Asada aren't exactly known for their consistency, and while they seem to be managing their nerves better, who knows what the pressure of the Olympics could bring? For Asada, this won't be like Vancouver, where she and Kim were by and large the biggest contenders for 1st and 2nd, in some order. As for Kostner...I'm just hoping that she can give a performance like 2012 Worlds, rather than the 2010 Olympics. But if either/both of them miss the target, we could be seeing an American (or two!) on the podium for the first time since 2006.)

    Men's:
    Gold - Fernandez
    Silver - Hanyu
    Bronze - Chan
    4th - Aaron
    5th - Takahashi
    6th - Reynolds
    7th - Kozuka/Mura
    8th - Joubert
    9th - Brezina
    10th - 3rd Canadian man

    Dance (top 6):
    Gold - D/W
    Silver - V/M
    Bronze - C/L
    4th - B/S
    5th - W/B
    6th - I/K

    Pairs (top 3):
    Gold: V/T
    Silver: S/S
    Bronze: P/T

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,622
    Ladies
    1-Yuna Kim
    2-Mao Asada
    3-Miki Ando
    4-Carolina Kostner
    5-Akiko Suzuki
    6-Gracie Gold
    7-Julia Lipnitskaia
    8-Ashley Wagner
    9-Zijun Li
    10-Kira Korpi

    Men
    1-Patrick Chan
    2-Yuzuru Hanyu
    3-Denis Ten
    4-Javier Fernandez
    5-Daisuke Takahashi
    6-Kevin Reynolds
    7-Max Aaron
    8-Brian Joubert
    9-Artur Gachinski
    10-Takahiko Kozuka

    Pairs
    1-Volosozhar/Trankov
    2-Duhamel/Radford
    3-Savchenko/Szokowy
    4-Bazarova/Larionov
    5-Pang/Tong
    6-Moore Towers /Moscovitch
    7-Denney/Coughlin
    8-Berton/Hotarek
    9-Sui/Han
    10-Stolbova/Klimov


    Dance
    1-Davis/White
    2-Virtue/Moir
    3-Weaver/Poje
    4-Chock/Bates
    5-Pechalat/Bourzat
    6-Cappelini/Lanotte
    7-Bobrova/Soloviev
    8-Shibutani/Shibutani
    9-Riazanova / Tkachenko
    10-Zhiganshina / Gazsi

    Team
    1-Canada
    2-United States
    3-Russia
    4-Japan
    5-France
    6-Italy
    7-China
    8-Germany
    9-South Korea
    10-Spain

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Why do you think Suzuki will make such a big leap in Sochi? Particularly over Asada?
    Since when she skates well (WTT last year) she is often better than Mao "usually" skates these days. She is just so inconsistent but I have a funny feeling next year will be her glory season. She will win the Olympic bronze, and then aided by home ice upset Kostner and Asada (with Kim likely skipping Worlds) for the World title.

  11. #11
    Custom Title mary01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Since when she skates well (WTT last year) she is often better than Mao "usually" skates these days. She is just so inconsistent but I have a funny feeling next year will be her glory season. She will win the Olympic bronze, and then aided by home ice upset Kostner and Asada (with Kim likely skipping Worlds) for the World title.
    WOW that's quite some expectations for Suzuki, unfortunately I doubt she will even make the Olympic team now that Miki is returning. but it sure will be interesting to see which of the two is going to make the team.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,524
    IF Miki returns, she will have been away from competitive figure skating for 2.5 years. JSF has said she must compete at Regionals to qualify for Nationals, and that means no GP or Senior Bs until she does. JSF has also said she must WIN Nationals to qualify for Sochi. Even if Miki wins silver or bronze at Nationals and beats Suzuki, Miki won't be going to Sochi, but Suzuki might, especially if she makes the GPF again.

  13. #13
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    I think she will most likely make the team. But predicting that she will upset for an Olympic medal and pull off a win at Worlds afterwards is a bit much. I don't remember Akiko being able to maintain consistent performances in two back to back competitions. She will usually do very well in one than bomb or put out a subpar performance in the next one. And unfortunately, she seemed to let the nerves get to her at the bigger competitions (GPF and Worlds). If an upset does happen, I actually think it will be one of the younger skaters because usually one of them will put out a fearless, go for all performance a la Mirai in 2010.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,622
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    IF Miki returns, she will have been away from competitive figure skating for 2.5 years. JSF has said she must compete at Regionals to qualify for Nationals, and that means no GP or Senior Bs until she does. JSF has also said she must WIN Nationals to qualify for Sochi. Even if Miki wins silver or bronze at Nationals and beats Suzuki, Miki won't be going to Sochi, but Suzuki might, especially if she makes the GPF again.
    Yeah but they can change their minds if she wins silver or bronze.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    WOW that's quite some expectations for Suzuki, unfortunately I doubt she will even make the Olympic team now that Miki is returning. but it sure will be interesting to see which of the two is going to make the team.
    I dont see Miki making the team at all, especialy given that the JSF has said she has to win Nationals to make it, and I definitely dont see her doing that. Even if Miki did somehow make the team, why would it be Suzuki she bumps off. It could easily be Murakami as well.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •