Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 50

Thread: wishes and dream for podium/top six

  1. #31
    Custom Title Cherryy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    239
    it's always nice to see different opinions

    Men:
    1. the one that skate's lights out. It would be nice to see Chan skating cleanly and proving he's excellent, but I wouldn't like the judges to hold him up even a tiny bit
    2. Yuzuru or Fernandez, preferably Fernandez, since skating in his homecountry could benefitted more rather than skating in Japan if Yuzuru gets silver
    3. Plushenko (cause the only Olympic medal he's lacking is bronze)
    4. Yuzuru or Fernandez
    5. Joubert
    6. Denis Ten

    Ladies
    1. Mao, she deserves it and I'm still telling myself that's quite possible.
    2. Yuna
    3. Caroline Zhang (alright, here I know it's not going to happen)
    4. Akiko Suzuki
    5. Tuktamysheva
    6. Kostner

    Pairs
    1. Volosozhar/Trankov
    2. Savchenko/Sholkowy
    3. Pang/Tong
    4. Bazarova/Larionov
    5. Duhamel/Radford
    6. Moore-Towers/Moscovitch

    Ice Dancing
    This year's worlds result would be fine, except that it would somehow imply this discipline being boring at the Olympics, I wouldn't like it to be this way

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    220
    Ladies:
    1st - Asada
    2nd - Czisny
    3rd - Kostner

    Men:
    1st - Takahashi
    2nd - Chan
    3rd - Fernandez

    Pairs:
    1st - V & T
    2nd - S & S
    3rd - D & R

    Dance:
    1st - D & W
    2nd - V & M
    3rd - S & S
    & Would love to see C & B place in the top 10!

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    820
    Wow - this is hard. Strictly and "in your heart" dream list?

    Men:

    Chan
    Abbott
    Weir

    Women:

    Gold
    Suzuki
    Wagner

    Dance:

    Charlie and Meryl
    (don't care who comes in second and third)

    Pairs:

    Don't care about the position but would love to see Denney and Coughlin on the podium.

    I saw Ice Dreams in Oakland yesterday and the whole audience was blown away by Johnny Weir's black swan Swan Lake. I've watched him from the beginning and have never seen him skate as well. He didn't back off from any of his jumps (did 3 or 4 triple axels that were a thing of beauty) his spins were tight and fast, and he actually played to the audience. Max Aaron on the other hand looked like a young Elvis Stojko. He has very short legs and a long torso so his spins are awkward looking with no apparent line. His choreography was very Stojko reminiscent - trying to do dance moves when you can't dance. I think the only way he's going to win Nationals again or place at the Olys if he has alot of help from the other men. In other words, he'd have to be the only one that skated clean!

  4. #34
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,667
    I think I'm just going to do medalists for some of the disciplines because Top 6 is too hard..

    LADIES - I'd like Yu-Na to win as I think she deserves it, and Mao and Ashley both to be on the podium in some order. I do not dislike Kostner, but I do not want to see her on the podium with a flawed performance.

    PAIRS - S/S to win, V/T second and either D/R or MT/M third so there's a Canadian team on the podium.

    DANCE - D/W to win (so they get their chance), V/M second, and P/B third.

    MEN - Daisuke wins, Chan 2nd IF HE DOESN'T FALL, then.. uh.. I'll say Joubert even though I doubt that's gonna happen. This is 'dream', right? lol.

  5. #35
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    1,590
    Ladies:

    1. Mao (many would have given up trying for the gold medal in her shoes and play it safe to get a medal. Just the fact that she will try 8 triples sends shivers down my spine. She has a true heart of a champion)
    2. Caro (because I love her even when she was an awkward looking 15 year old, Bambi on ice)
    3. Yuna (because she is one of the greatest skater ever. I know she's likely winning and I would be happy if she does)
    4. Sotnikova (to silence all haters)
    5. Murakami (to get "hungry" and stay after Sochi)


    Men:
    1. Daisuke
    2. Plushy(this is the first time I am not wishing for one of my old time favorite to win the gold)
    3. Javier (how charming can he be?)
    4. Kozuka, because of his beautiful, quiet skating
    5. Yuzuru

    Pairs:

    1. S/S
    2. V/T
    3. M-T/M (fell in love with them at Worlds)
    4. P/T
    5. K/S


    Ice dance

    1. D/W (too good to retire without an Oly gold)
    2. V/M (because they already have an Oly gold)
    3. P/B (because they are my sentimental favorites and had too many downs in their career. Time for some ups!)
    4. C/L (how cruel of me to wish them another 4th place, but on the other hand beating the Russians would be exciting)
    5. B/S

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by vera01 View Post
    Off-topic, but designs for Sochi 2014's medals were unveiled today:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BLgFUS9CEAAEs-3.jpg:large
    Woo. Very Russian.
    Though, my favourite up to date is still the last Vancouver medals, which looked big, chunky, shiny & DELICIOUS. I wonder why they didn't make chocolate medals out of them as part of the Olympics souvenir collection.

    ==

    As for the podium, Yuna deserves no less than what she's going for; Chan, while controversial, is worth a Gold or Silver in a good condition - otherwise, I'm rooting for Ten and Yuzuru, and maybe Takahashi in the mix. Also, I secretly hope Mirai would climb back to where visible, although less likely, and if not for the podium, then in top 5.

    ...Now that I look at it, this is so Asian. Therefore, I'd like to mention that I am always rooting for dear Czisny too.

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    Ladies:

    1. Mao (many would have given up trying for the gold medal in her shoes and play it safe to get a medal. Just the fact that she will try 8 triples sends shivers down my spine. She has a true heart of a champion)
    2. Caro (because I love her even when she was an awkward looking 15 year old, Bambi on ice)
    3. Yuna (because she is one of the greatest skater ever. I know she's likely winning and I would be happy if she does)
    4. Sotnikova (to silence all haters)
    5. Murakami (to get "hungry" and stay after Sochi)


    Men:
    1. Daisuke
    2. Plushy(this is the first time I am not wishing for one of my old time favorite to win the gold)
    3. Javier (how charming can he be?)
    4. Kozuka, because of his beautiful, quiet skating
    5. Yuzuru

    Pairs:

    1. S/S
    2. V/T
    3. M-T/M (fell in love with them at Worlds)
    4. P/T
    5. K/S


    Ice dance

    1. D/W (too good to retire without an Oly gold)
    2. V/M (because they already have an Oly gold)
    3. P/B (because they are my sentimental favorites and had too many downs in their career. Time for some ups!)
    4. C/L (how cruel of me to wish them another 4th place, but on the other hand beating the Russians would be exciting)
    5. B/S
    to the above placements. I especially love your reasonings, which are very sweet, Mirunna! I would put Brian for Mens bronze instead; Javi is still young and has 2018. I have my own sentimental favorites in my heart, too, though not all of my dreams for them may not come true.

  8. #38
    can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,800
    This is fun. I'm taking out YuNa because I'm too overwhelmingly biased for her. Let's pretend she changed her mind and retired after the 2013-2014 Grand Prix. Haha!

    Ladies:
    1) Mao Asada
    2) Carolina Kostner
    3) Akiko Suzuki
    4) Mirai Nagasu :P
    5) Kanako Murakami

    Men:
    1) Daisuke Takahashi
    2) Evgeni Plushenko LOL
    3) Javier Fernandez
    4) Patrick Chan (stay around for PyeongChang!)
    5) Denis Ten (you too!)

  9. #39
    Custom Title christinaskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    1,462
    1. Yu-Na Kim
    2. Akiko Suzuki
    3. Carolina Kostner


    1. Daisuke Takahashi
    2. Patrick Chan
    3. Evan Lysacek

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,867
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    This is fun. I'm taking out YuNa because I'm too overwhelmingly biased for her. Let's pretend she changed her mind and retired after the 2013-2014 Grand Prix. Haha!

    Ladies:
    1) Mao Asada
    2) Carolina Kostner
    3) Akiko Suzuki
    4) Mirai Nagasu :P
    5) Kanako Murakami

    Men:
    1) Daisuke Takahashi
    2) Evgeni Plushenko LOL
    3) Javier Fernandez
    4) Patrick Chan (stay around for PyeongChang!)
    5) Denis Ten (you too!)
    Chan is definitely retiring regardless how he does, but 4th place for him would be my wish too.

  11. #41
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,890
    My current wish is for Javier Fernandez to keep his Chaplin LP, skate it perfectly, and win the Gold. That program is an unbelievable masterpiece and I can't see it being topped. The way Fernandez incorporates 3 Quads into the program, with fluid transitions before and after all of them AND while staying in character, really pushes it into the stratosphere. Nobody else is able to do that.

    The choreography creates a real story and range of emotions, with a brilliant array of full-body movement and emoting directly to the music. It's sublimely delightful, which is a particularly difficult feeling to express. Programs like this can easily veer into being little too cutesy, a little too broad, or too insubstantial, but this one completely nails the essence of Chaplin and that joyful-yet-sad point of view which so deeply characterizes the human experience. This is what Fernandez was born for.

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    The choreography creates a real story and range of emotions, with a brilliant array of full-body movement and emoting directly to the music. It's sublimely delightful, which is a particularly difficult feeling to express. Programs like this can easily veer into being little too cutesy, a little too broad, or too insubstantial, but this one completely nails the essence of Chaplin and that joyful-yet-sad point of view which so deeply characterizes the human experience. This is what Fernandez was born for.
    Oh Blades, I just love your wording to describe Javi's Chaplin program and his wonderful ability to pull it off. Since my earlier lurker time on GS Forum, I have always and truly enjoyed your posts with such depth in knowledge on figure skating not only as a competitive sport but also an art on ice (and no doubt as seeing your avatar ) and your wording to describe with intricacy and lyricism into such details like the above! I wish my English someday will be half as good as yours, hopefully before the 21st century ends.

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,155
    In the Euros' FP, even his little stumble was Chaplin-esque.

  14. #44
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,890
    Thanks deedee.

  15. #45
    Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    822
    Ok, I'll play:

    Men Singles: Plushenko, Lysacek, Aaron

    Women Singles: Gold, Korpi, Li

    Dance: D/W, Italians, someone else

    Pairs: No podium, as this event has been discontinued.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •