Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Skaters who can dominate both in IJS and 6.0.

Rinkside

Skaters who can dominate both in IJS and 6.0.

Are there skaters who do you think can dominate in both of systems?
    That skaters have to have all of these - consistency, high quality jumps, high-difficulty jumps, artistry etc etc.

Here are another topics.
    Who do you think are most friendly skater with IJS, and most weak or having the disadvantage under 6.0 ? Or who do you think are most friendly skater with 6.0 system, and most weak or having the disadvantage under IJS?

Great thread! Welcome to GS, torren.

OK, I'll start with the obvious one: Yuna Kim at her current level would dominate under any system of scoring.

Custom Title
    Patrick chan.
    He has shown his mettle on IJS.

With his beautiful skating skills he could easily dominate 6.0

Others who could do equally well would be Jeffrey Buttle, Dai and Hanyu.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Midori Ito. Her WC performances from nearly 25 years ago would be extremely competitive even now.

Speed, power, and incredible jump technique. Yeah... that would translate to CoP.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    Patrick chan.

I REALLY don't want to drag this thread into another Chan bash/defend festival, but under 6.0 Denis Ten would be World Champion right now.

6.0 favored consistency. To win, skaters had to do well in both Short and Long. Although, of course, everyone wanted to win every phase of the competition, you were still master of your fate if you could finish the SP in the Top 3.

Custom Title
    Plushenko won worlds under 6.0 and almost 2 Olympics under COP so its safe to say him who did! Arakawa did too! Worlds under one and Olympic under the other!

Akiko Suzuki
    Yu-Na Kim
    Mao Asada
    Ashley Wagner
    Miki Ando

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Yes, but how many would have done well in the school figures as well?

Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    Patrick chan.

The title is who can dominate....

Hm. I disagree with Chan and Buttle. Patrick can't skate clean programs, he has too many mistakes, and under the 6.0 the skaters made a little mistake and lost the comnpetition. The skating skills weren't so important.

Jeff had no quad.

Custom Title
    Yagudin is the first one that comes to mind. Ito would be an excellent IJS skater, too (same with Yamaguchi). Kwan would likely get high PCS which would make up for edge calls/URs that she would get under IJS (she was on the decline just after the system was introduced, so we'll never know). Kim is an obvious choice for dominating under 6.0.

It's a little unfair to say Chan couldn't skate clean programs when if he had to do 6.0-friendly programs with reduced difficulty between the elements, he'd probably have much cleaner programs (it's like saying Takahashi/Mao/Kostner wouldn't be a strong 6.0 skater because of their mistakes, even though they'd probably skate cleaner with less intricate programs). Not to mention there have been (compared to 6.0) very few *programs* skated under IJS that have had excellent technical difficulty (including quads) executed cleanly, but also with considerable difficulty and intricacy in choreography/spins/footwork. There's no male skater I can think of post-IJS who has consistently had both, and I can only think of select performances -- Daisuke's 2008 4CC, Ten's 2013 Worlds, Chan's 2011 Worlds, Javier's 2013 Euros, Plushenko's 2012 Euros, etc. (of course, Hanyu/Fernandez/Ten have more mileage, so we'll have to see if they can dominate). As for the ladies, Yu Na is the only skater that I would call a consistently solid IJS skater.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    I REALLY don't want to drag this thread into another Chan bash/defend festival, but under 6.0 Denis Ten would be World Champion right now.

6.0 favored consistency. To win, skaters had to do well in both Short and Long. Although, of course, everyone wanted to win every phase of the competition, you were still master of your fate if you could finish the SP in the Top 3.
    Yes but if it was 6.0 Patrick's program would have been much easier so he wouldnt have made the mistakes!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    The title is who can dominate....

Hm. I disagree with Chan and Buttle. Patrick can't skate clean programs, he has too many mistakes, and under the 6.0 the skaters made a little mistake and lost the comnpetition. The skating skills weren't so important.

Jeff hadn't quad.

Exactly. That is why I nominated Chan. He has not been off the podium for 5 years.

If Jeff was in 6.0 maybe he would have got a consistent quad.

I think Yagudin should also be on my list.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Yes, but how many would have done well in the school figures as well?
    We know for a fact that Chan was brought up on figures so I am sure he would have been fine there!

Custom Title
    Joannie Rochette, Ashley Wagner besides the obvious Yuna Kim would fair well. V and T would probably do better than Ssquared since the Germans rarely skate cleanly. Michelle Kwan would be fine under both - though some her simple moves wouldn't get the scores under IJS. V and M might gain a bit under 6.0 over D and W for their innovation. I am not sure how Ten would do; his quality may hold him back, not to mention lack of reputation until now LOL. We have seen jumpers not do well under 6.0 or held back ie. bonaly but there are many lesser skaters who had multiple triples or whatever and never really were a contender.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    V and T would probably do better than Ssquared since the Germans rarely skate cleanly.
    To be fair, S/S at their peak have been quite clean, and it's not like V/T have had a boatload of clean international competitions themselves (SP+FS collectively).

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast