Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Thread: Skaters who can dominate both in IJS and 6.0.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Maybe it's the camera angles but her jumps look the same...actually I thought she got better height on the 3T in her combo than she does now.
    That's because her 2008 3-3 is 3F-3T and 2013 3-3 is 3Lz-3T. Her Lz is huger(huger? is this right word??) and higher than 3F. Her 3T are the same but next to 3Lz, it just looks lower. Relativity.

Quote Originally Posted by gourry View Post
    huger?
    How about "even more humongous"?

Quote Originally Posted by gourry View Post
    That's because her 2008 3-3 is 3F-3T and 2013 3-3 is 3Lz-3T. Her Lz is huger(huger? is this right word??) and higher than 3F. Her 3T are the same but next to 3Lz, it just looks lower. Relativity.
    I think back before the 2009-2010 season Yuna's Flip was "bigger" (greater distance and height) than her Lutz, but these days it appears to be the opposite. But that could be because she does the Lutz in a 3-3 combo vs. the solo Flip after the 2008-2009 season. The first triple in a triple-triple naturally has to be "big" to carry enough momentum into the second triple. Whereas a solo triple only needs enough to land smoothly.

~high art~
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    If you watch replay, every single skater prerotates their toe jumps. Bad technique would be Kimmie, who basically did toe axels. Gracie does not do that.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IU78A1ezsJA (6:01)
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=VgWWbAktR-w (5:47)

Watch her toe pick making about a quarter turn before leaving the ice.

After watching his 1989 performances from Worlds, I would like to add Christopher Bowman, if he hasn't already been mentioned, as a 6.0 skater who would likely do well (possibly better) under CoP.

Bowman would have had issues with the restrictions of IJS. He'd oftentimes change his program around as he was skating it, which was OK under 6.0, but with quantity restrictions on things, it would be a lot harder for him. Maybe if he were truly well-trained and sober, he would do well under IJS

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Bowman would have had issues with the restrictions of IJS. He'd oftentimes change his program around as he was skating it, which was OK under 6.0, but with quantity restrictions on things, it would be a lot harder for him. Maybe if he were truly well-trained and sober, he would do well under IJS
    That's true. I forgot about him changing it around. I was just impressed with his skating skills and technical elements outside of jumps.

Without doubt, he was incredibly talented blade to ice and rotational ability, just had issues with his ability to say no and to be self-disciplined.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Without doubt, he was incredibly talented blade to ice and rotational ability, just had issues with his ability to say no and to be self-disciplined.
    A heartbreaking story every time I think of it. Realistically, he'd probably have been like Oda, putting in the wrong extra jump. But if Chris had been able to buckle down and sharpen his focus, then his CoP programs would have been a sight to see, and maybe we'd have an international podium contender once more.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    A post on another thread discussing Evan L. made reference to how he was lauded as a hard worker... and how this statement would apply to every skater at this level.

Christopher Bowman is the counter-example. By all accounts, he didn't work very hard to maximize his potential in the sport. No doubt, he had charisma and flair, but he undermined himself.

I'm not sure of the specifics, but I think Nicole Bobek probably fits this description as well.

A shame in both cases.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19