Thread: Stop or go on.

Hybrid View

Rinkside

Stop or go on.

Hi:
    I am new here.
    I want to have your inputs on whether my daughter should stop now or move on.
    She is an intermediate skater, skated for 4 years and now is 7.5 yrs old.
    Strength: good foundation, with some Star 1 to Star 3A silver and gold reports.
    She like skating, at least I am not forcing her into it.
    Weakness: inattentive, easily being distracted by other skater in the rinks.
    don't have the initiative to push herself. Layback is the average situation of her practice.
    Don't want to give out all she had: coach knows what she can do and she just don't think that she need to give it all out, even in lesson.

Lately: started her axel and take a very slow pace in making progress. Thinking about whether she fear about fall that she always stretch her arms out instead of squeezing it tight.

I asked her: from 0 (no fear) to 100 ( scare to death), what is her rating in trying an axel in afraid the fall and pain. Her answer is 59.

Should I stop boldly now? As we all know that figure skating down the road is about how you can make it through all the pain, injuries and still can press forward.

I understand this kind of fear and I never can swim before I can conquer the fear of water, and "feet can't touch the pool ground"

Figure skating is such an every aspects ( time, money, commitment) expensive sport, I should humbly ask more of you folks in what you think.
    inputs, please.

thanks

Bill

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Welcome to Golden Skate! I hope someone will answer your question from their personal experience.

However, I would ask whether she's musically inclined, and whether she might like ice dance? If she didn't have to jump, would she love skating more? How are her basic skating skills and speed across compared to the other kids? I'm assuming good, from the reports. If she loved it more, she might focus more too.

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    Have you asked your daughter if she wants to continue? If she does and it's not a financial hardship for the family to keep her in lessons I see no problem in letting her continue. I was an extremely inattentive child on the ice and didn't really start to put all of my effort into the sport until I was about 12 or 13, but I am very glad that my parents let me continue to get past that stage of development. Does she have a similar inattention problem with other activities, because that can give you an idea of whether it's disinterest in the sport or just her personality. At 7 years old she could very well get over her fear on the axel. It's a jump that often takes time to become comfortable with it. I've known people who took two or 3 years to get it. Doris's idea of trying ice dance is a good one if she likes skating, but is genuinely afraid or just dislikes jumping. Basically it's up to you and what your child wants and what you feel is best for her. Talk to her coach as well as they know her and can probably advise you better on whether it's disinterest or just a phase.

Rinkside
    You can go youtube: Rainbow 2013 May and see her latest skate in Star 3 competition if you want to see her speed and overall performance.
    Her back spin !! and it is part of the reason she cannot pick up the axel as those who are really good in back spin.
    I afraid ice dance is not for kid of this age? At least there is no club provide ice dance for such age.
    Inattentive: it is her personality. Reading can easily miss simple words, jump another line. Public skating: easily distracted by other skater or kids.
    Part of the overwhelm feeling maybe from the day to day sit there and watch her lay back practice. Even worse is I also do a bit of figure skating and this made the feeling stronger in see her performance.
    I told her my expectation is not how fast she can gain more element, ( I look for quality than quantity and the coach understand it well) is how hard she would like to give out her efforts and attention.
    Silver.blades: thanks for your personal experience in comforting me, but really hope that I don't need to wait for another 5 years! before she really go with her heart into it.
    When she is lesson with a very firm coach, she response, efforts level is high.
    When she is with a nicer coach, she just pull back, lay back, keeps her efforts!!
    This is her situation.

Rinkside

Go on

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Yeung View Post
    You can go youtube: Rainbow 2013 May and see her latest skate in Star 3 competition if you want to see her speed and overall performance.
    Her back spin !! and it is part of the reason she cannot pick up the axel as those who are really good in back spin.
    I afraid ice dance is not for kid of this age? At least there is no club provide ice dance for such age.
    Inattentive: it is her personality. Reading can easily miss simple words, jump another line. Public skating: easily distracted by other skater or kids.
    Part of the overwhelm feeling maybe from the day to day sit there and watch her lay back practice. Even worse is I also do a bit of figure skating and this made the feeling stronger in see her performance.
    I told her my expectation is not how fast she can gain more element, ( I look for quality than quantity and the coach understand it well) is how hard she would like to give out her efforts and attention.
    Silver.blades: thanks for your personal experience in comforting me, but really hope that I don't need to wait for another 5 years! before she really go with her heart into it.
    When she is lesson with a very firm coach, she response, efforts level is high.
    When she is with a nicer coach, she just pull back, lay back, keeps her efforts!!
    This is her situation.
    Seems like she may be assuming the intellectual aspect of learning, if you can see to it she finds her own joy in it it may be a self starter. My joy is the amazing connection the moves have and how a subtle difference will change things, as she grows used to finding that amazement, she may move on to higher complexities.

I stayed at the same level but strived to increase speed, that is where subtle differences show up, when you try harder.

Rinkside
    [QUOTE=Icepaddles;743500]Seems like she may be assuming the intellectual aspect of learning, if you can see to it she finds her own joy in it it may be a self starter.

Sorry, can't understand the phrase " assuming the intellectual aspect" can you give a bit more explanation around it.
    appreciated.

Rinkside
    If she can find some move edge work she likes and pushes herself with them, she will learn the control that is required in any skating.

Rinkside
    Plus she will learn to fall on something familiar, but if she has a hard time getting through what is considered basic you could start the evaluation.