Beautiful or exciting blast from the past | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Beautiful or exciting blast from the past

BlackPack

Medalist
A belated welcome, BlackPack. Sorry I missed your first posts. Thanks for joining and for your contributions to the board. :)

Thank you very much, Mathman. :yay:

BTW, I may not have responded to each and every suggestion in this thread, but rest assured that I have enjoyed and admired these skaters. It's so good to know they're not forgotten.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I have a soft spot for Marina Kielmann from Germany. With this performance at 1993 Worlds, she moved up from 10th in the sp to 5th overall. I loved her final jump combination (2axel-1loop-1loop-2loop-1loop-2loop), so perfectly choreographed to the music. That's something you'll never see under COP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHA091VZyo0
Oh, she was a roller skater, I didn't know it! But you can really tell it watching this program: the combo that you meantioned is the kind of combination that we (roller figure skaters I mean) usually do, and that "reverse" camel at the end is very common on roller skates, it's actually the second most difficult spin of all in our SOV...

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Haven't seen Peggy Schwarz and Mirko Müller mentioned much at Golden Skate. The masters of side-by-side spins :clap:

Sadly they often did a mistake or more either in the Short and/or Long program. Their best competition is World's 1998 where they won bronze.

Taj Mahal, their Long Program at Nagano olympics, where they finished 8th, 9th overall.

In 1998/99 they did a program about a violent relationship. Rare for skaters to have such a serious theme. I think they were engaged in an organization that helped abused women.

Cute program from season 1999-2000 to the film Patch Adams ("Laughter is the best medicine") Their last competition(?).

Peggy went to three olympics with her former partner Alexander König. They competed together 1986-1994. Best placement 3rd at Europeans. In 1995 Peggy had a son. Haha, he could be a junior skater by now. But I guess not. Maybe he does some sport though. His father is/was a football player if I remember correctly. Peggy then teamed up with Mirko and started competing again in 1996. I liked their skating in spite of the not always clean programs. They were equals, no big height difference, looked like great friends and did lovely interesting programs with an afterthought.

The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best :yes:

Cherryy

On the Ice
I think this skate suits to this category.
Shizuka's 2005 SP, probably forgotten by many, is in my opinion her best program, the one that has moved me the most. There's a beautiful entry to the 3Lz-2L and also an exquisite backwards CoE spiral. Lovely :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abWMNSQl_sE

The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best :yes:

I think that quote should be cited in all GS threads. It's a wonderful way to remind us that there are some splendid skaters who will not be at the top of the rankings, even though they give us some unparalleled experiences. My philosophy about skating is that we're not trying to weed good skaters out, we're trying to bring good skaters in. Otherwise, we might as well have stopped with Sonja Henie.

BlackPack

Medalist
Moskvina and Mishin in 1968. They were quite successful and at one point beat the Protopopovs. They were fast, had excellent unison, and had some very interesting moves. Moskvina had such flair. I definitely saw how the Protopopovs' elegance influenced their skating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-c0RmNtfR4

Silver1998

Rinkside
Agreed! Tonya was such an energetic, exciting skater. I've always loved this performance from the 1991 Skate America competition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOP3Dj0DraQ&noredirect=1
She was on fire and that triple axel in the beginning was exquisite! She beat the reigning World Champion and looked like a contender for gold in Albertville, but the wheels came off within just a few months. She looked like a completely different skater by January of 1992.

Silver1998

Rinkside
Another one of my favorite blasts from the past will always be Tanja Szewczenko's silver medal winning LP at the 1997-1998 Champions' Series Final. She had struggled mightily with injuries and numerous issues, but this skate was so stirring and genuinely moving. I was so excited for her!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj9q7UOqwQ8

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I love Yukari. She was so beautiful, every move so elegant. What happened with her career? Did injury end it? Such a shame if so. Japan has so many excellent skaters and I think Yukari was as beautiful a skater as any of my faves. So hard to even pick my favorite Japanese Lady...Yuka? Yukari? Mao? Akiko? Miki? Shizuka? They have it all, work ethic, body type. I am really enjoying this thread as I have not seen many of these skates. TY again.