GP assigments 2013/2014 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

GP assigments 2013/2014

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone know why Stepanova/Bukin only got one slot?

Also, yes Cesario should have gotten the 2nd spot at SA - why on earth would Zhang be worthy of it, since Cesario was completely screwed over in favor of arm waving Radionova at JW

All the JW medalists got just one slot each: Stepanova/Bukin, Papadakis/Cizeron, Aldridge/Eaton.

Cherryy

On the Ice
How many skaters stand a chance to win every GP event? By this I mean all SA, SC, CoC, Rostelecom, TEB and NHK at least once in their career.
Mao has a chance if she wins Skate America this year. After Yuna Kim wins SC the only missing one will be NHK but she was never assigned one (for obvious reasons), so it'll be almost the case. If S/S win CoC they'll make the list, same with Pang/Tong if they win TEB.
Shen and Zhao achieved it, but who else did? I looked up several skaters and they're the only ones I found. It doesn't happen very often it seems.

venlac

On the Ice
Carolina probably has the easiest schedule. There are girls who can come close to her TES but she far outweighs everyone in PCS so as long as she skates decently, she should win with no problem.

The two newbies making the senior jump are Elena Radionova and Satoko Miyahara. Elena is a joy to watch for me :). She's a tiny little firecracker who likes to perform so she should be fun to watch. She has tough jumps but she has yet to hit her growth spurt yet so we'll have to see if she retains them. Satoko is very tiny as well. She has wonderful skating skills and transitions but her jumps get only about 6 inches off of the ice. She has the difficulty but she gets hammered on URs and DGs...I don't see her being much of a factor if she can't coax any more height and power out of her jumps.

rather than come close, they will win her in tes for sure
In the past season, in euros and Worlds, carolina had defeated to youngster in TES about 10 points..
young skaters had been usually beat her in TES by big gap...

Kuan

Final Flight
Happy for you.:)
There are some veterans and very promising newcomers in TEB indeed. Probably will be the last time to watch Yuna, Patrick, V&M and Kiira(?) skate competitively. Hope you get your tickets and enjoy their skates, Kuan.

^^ Thank you Spiky! I already have my tickets. :biggrin: The veterans I am most excited about are Yuna, Patrick, Virtue/Moir, Pechalat/Bourzat and Pang/Tong. Sotnikova and Han Yan are the only youngstars I am really a fan of.

b-man

Final Flight
I wonder why the discrepancy?

Others know the assignment rules better than I. I just know skaters, based on world's finish, or world standings, or SB list, are guaranteed 1 or 2 slots, and as a host country you also get selections for that. I think a couple of years ago the US did have 14 slots. I think the US has seven on the SB 25 list which is more than Russia or Japan.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
How many skaters stand a chance to win every GP event? By this I mean all SA, SC, CoC, Rostelecom, TEB and NHK at least once in their career.
Mao has a chance if she wins Skate America this year. After Yuna Kim wins SC the only missing one will be NHK but she was never assigned one (for obvious reasons), so it'll be almost the case. If S/S win CoC they'll make the list, same with Pang/Tong if they win TEB.
Shen and Zhao achieved it, but who else did? I looked up several skaters and they're the only ones I found. It doesn't happen very often it seems.
So we have three possible all-GP-won skaters this next season: Yu-Na will probably become the second skater to accomplish this, S/S the third, I don't know about P/T, I think that D/R could easily beat them...

Cherryy

On the Ice
So we have three possible all-GP-won skaters this next season: Yu-Na will probably become the second skater to accomplish this, S/S the third, I don't know about P/T, I think that D/R could easily beat them...

Well, with Yuna she hasn't won NHK, so it'll be an "almost" all GP winner, 5 out of 5 she ever entered but still not all of 6 GPs. There's a possibility with Mao and S/S, personally I think P/T should also not be counted out so easily.
S/S are the most likely, than Mao and P/T, I think. Is there any man who has done it? Or ice dance team? Plushenko and Joubert were close, though they're both missing one GP they weren't assigned this season and they'll retire before the next, so there's no chance, unfortunately.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Well, with Yuna she hasn't won NHK, so it'll be an "almost" all GP winner, 5 out of 5 she ever entered but still not all of 6 GPs. There's a possibility with Mao and S/S, personally I think P/T should also not be counted out so easily.
S/S are the most likely, than Mao and P/T, I think. Is there any man who has done it? Or ice dance team? Plushenko and Joubert were close, though they're both missing one GP they weren't assigned this season and they'll retire before the next, so there's no chance, unfortunately.
I meant Mao yes... :eek:: And, winning SA will obviously mean Ashley making several mistakes and Mao landing more than three ratified triples in the FS and a clean SP, just look back at what happened in 2011 with czisny vs kostner... No man nor ice dance team has ever done it, both Plushenko and Joubert need CoC, and we remember what happened during the last seasons, we could almost talk about a "CoC Joubert curse"... ;)
S/Z are the only ones for now, yes... (but we have to remember that Plushy won several times the Bofrost Cup, that now doesn't exist anymore...)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zhang/Bartholomay. I'm a little disappointed they only got 1 assignment. Most of the U.S. pairs assignments look okay, but I do question Simpson/Blackmer and Z/B both getting 1 slot instead of Z/B getting 2 slots. What is the rationale for giving Simpson/Blackmer a slot? They've been 10th the last 2 years at Junior Worlds, hardly an auspicious indication of senior success. I think it would have been better to give Z/B more exposure, just my 2 cents though.

I agree. They are the only US pair that I find remotely interesting. They're young and fresh!

ForeverFish

Medalist
Well, just some scattered initial thoughts when I looked at the assignments this morning:

1. Yuna, Mao, Carolina -- Obviously they can't be at the same events, which will make the buildup to the GPF much more exciting. I fully expect Yuna and Carolina to win both of theirs, while I'd give Mao about a 60% chance at SA and an 80% chance at NHK. Yuna will face, unsurprisingly, challenging fields at SC and TEB, although none of the ladies should pose a serious threat to her in both TES and PCS. Carolina, given the fields at CoC and CoR, should have no problem winning. Mao's greatest threat will come from Ashley Wagner at SA, but if she skates like she did at WTT, she'll also open the door for an upset at NHK by Gracie Gold's TES.

2. The Americans -- I'm rather pleased with Wagner and Gold's assignments, since they'll have the chance to compete against two of the Big 3. Both have proven that they CAN be competitive at this level, even with mistakes, so I'm optimistic about the outcome -- I expect medals for both of them, at both of their respective events (Gracie may finally get that picture with Yuna...on a GP podium!). Wagner, if she increases her tech content like she's been saying all season, *will* have a good chance to surpass Mao at SA. Unfortunately, Yuna is poised to trump her at TEB, but Ashley will likely still make the GPF with points to spare. Gracie is more of a question mark, since she wasn't the most consistent competitor this past season, but I think -- clean -- she could just barely slide past Suzuki at SC and NHK (both tough fields).

3. More Americans -- I'm worried about Gao's prospects at both SC and TEB, and frankly, I don't see her making the podium at either event. I think that she could realistically place seventh at SC (behind Kim, Gold, Suzuki, Osmond, Lipnitskaia, and Korpi) and fifth at TEB (behind Kim, Wagner, Sotnikova, and Korpi). Even if she has good skates, the strength of the rest of the field will overpower her. On the other hand, I'm pleased that Zhang will be making an appearance at SA, medal or not -- it shows that the USFSA hasn't completely given up on her yet. For the open spot at SA, I'd love to see Czisny get the nod if she's serious about returning.

4. Russians, new and old -- Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova have decent assignments; I think both have the chance of getting on at least one podium. At CoR, interestingly, it'll come down to Osmond and Tuktamysheva for the bronze, depending on who shows up in a stronger mental state. This season, Lipnitskaia may not see as much success as she did last, owing to the return of two of the Big 3. I don't think she'll have the chops to overtake Korpi, Suzuki, Gold, or Osmond at SC, nor Tuktamysheva and Osmond at CoR. Sotnikova could realistically win two bronze medals if her technical issues are fixed. Radionova and Pogorilaya are also turning senior this season; I'm excited to see where they'll fit in.

5. Kaetlyn Osmond -- The home ice advantage may get her a medal at SC, but with her inconsistency, she'll have one heck of a fight on her hands. She won't surpass Kim, and at this point, probably not Gracie Gold. She did beat a weak Suzuki at SC last season, which I still attribute to a one-time fluke. At CoR, I *think* she can skate strong enough to win a bronze medal, behind Kostner and Murakami.

6. Zijun Li -- Well, I want to see if she can beat Radionova. My gut says "No," but past results say "Maybe." She got some pretty tough assignments, but she beat Adelina Sotnikova at Worlds, so perhaps she can do so again at CoC. At NHK, she'll probably be behind Nagasu, who I've got projected for fourth place.

ETA: I was so excited about the news that I made a spreadsheet of predictions -- as of now, only the ladies. You can view it here, if you like:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtLbltV2arPkdERaX18xRVR2NjJhTFlDdm5IZGlzTmc#gid=0

gmyers

Record Breaker
Lipnitskaia can definitely beat korpi. I don't know how far along her injury was at Finlandia last season but lipnitskaia beat her and how is korpi doing with her injury?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Too soon to make predictions of any kind but I think there might be some good stuff in store. And some surprises, too.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
There's some speculation that it might be held for Alissa depending on what she looks like coming off the summer.

That's what I'm hoping. I can't see what the benefit of giving a spot to one of the other US women who is not already established on the senior level would be in an Olympic season.

Can you say what the source of the speculation is, kwanatic?

ForeverFish

Medalist
Too soon to make predictions of any kind but I think there might be some good stuff in store. And some surprises, too.

It's too soon, but it's also fun to speculate. I personally make my early predictions based on the most recent results for each skater.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Lipnitskaia can definitely beat korpi. I don't know how far along her injury was at Finlandia last season but lipnitskaia beat her and how is korpi doing with her injury?

I can't speak on behalf of Korpi's current state of health, but with Lipnitskaia's body changes, we don't know if she'll still be capable of last season's success.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ForeverFish, I love your spreadsheet. As the season gets closer, we should have an honest-to-goodness contest where we pick medalists for each GP and keep score as the season progresses.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

ForeverFish

Medalist
ForeverFish, I love your spreadsheet. As the season gets closer, we should have an honest-to-goodness contest where we pick medalists for each GP and keep score as the season progresses.

Thanks! I'd definitely interested in a Fantasy Figure Skating-esque contest, even though I'd probably lose for bias towards my favorites. :laugh:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
That's what I'm hoping. I can't see what the benefit of giving a spot to one of the other US women who is not already established on the senior level would be in an Olympic season.

Can you say what the source of the speculation is, kwanatic?

Oh I don't have an actual source or anything. I just go by what I read on the rest of the boards and then some common sense as well. :) We know Alissa has plans to come back and of the people who are eligible to occupy that spot she's probably the best one. Samantha and Courtney don't have the international cred to put that spot to good use at this point. A healthy Alissa can be a medal threat but it will all depend on what she's looking like at the end of summer... Personally I like to see her get the chance to skate before nationals, so I'm hoping she'll get that final spot but I'm guessing we won't find out until later on this summer.