Why no progress on GP prize money? | Golden Skate

Why no progress on GP prize money?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Why no progress on GP prize money?

Although no longer on the skating beat after her departure from The Detroit Free Press, @JoAnnBarnas posed the question yesterday:

Hey ISU: @Meryl_Davis+@CharlieaWhite, + Virtue/Moir, + others, have competed Sr. GP Series since '06+ prize money the same. Why no progress?

Her tweet has received no replies. But surely GS members will not be shy to express their opinions here. ;)

tulosai

Record Breaker
:thumbsup: simple as that. Also, while it is very expensive to skate in general, and boy do I know it, considering that the skaters travel and lodging to the competition are paid for, the prize money is far from insubstantial- I might go so far as to say it is fair (even if it was the same in '06).

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
ITA with Mathman. How can you expect the prize money to go up if the popularity of the sport continues to go down? Empty arenas, lost sponsors...face it: figure skating is a dying sport and if these same issues continue (waning interest, bad/incomprehensible judging, etc.) I'm thinking it won't be around in another 15 years or so...

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Yes, the ISU has no important sponsors and it has no money, compared to other federation of other less expensive sports. FS is one of the most expensive disciplines (ice time, coach(es), choreographer(s), costume(s), skates...) and, luckily, skaters can earn money with the shows and (but only the very high-level ones) sponsors. The ISU earned most of its money during the 90s because of the contracts with the American and Canadians TVs, that now are almost non-existent, compared to those years... :(

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's true that the ISU gave away the world team trophy!! Maybe it tried to get money for it but couldn't so that adds to the motif of ISU not really having money to adjust the prize money to inflation. Just inflationary adjustment. All the years of people saying the new scoring system favored corruption by hiding judges took a toll. And as the system still hides judges its always the same. I was going to say that ISU gives prize money for Amateurs! Don't expect lots of money to go to Amateurs! But the issues is that there is no money because the big contract money from the US no longer exist and ISU is giving away the WTT for most of the world because theres no takers. And that skating has taken such a terrible beating from a scoring system that doesn't understand figure skating at all!!! The scoring system totally excludes basic feelings of "this is great!" and "that stunk!!!" that existed for decades and decades and decades and now people have to be all "they fell or whatever but still got the base value and that step sequence had tons of hard one foot 3 turns and twizzels so deserves level 4 and that spin is magnificent because they hit 8 revolutuions in 2 different positions!!"

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
ITA with Mathman. How can you expect the prize money to go up if the popularity of the sport continues to go down? Empty arenas, lost sponsors...face it: figure skating is a dying sport and if these same issues continue (waning interest, bad/incomprehensible judging, etc.) I'm thinking it won't be around in another 15 years or so...

It will, because the IOC needs figure skating every four years. But I think it will become, if it hasn't already, a sport people only care about during the Olympics.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
the answer is very obvious unless every competition were to be held in Japan/Korea