Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko plans to compete in team & individual events in Sochi

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    The Pluminator.

@plushyfan - I believe there's some fan art with him as "the Pluminator", is there not? (I know you'll know where to lay your hands on it if it's still around. )
    LOL! yes, I know http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/vi...minator#p77960 Pluminator trilogy (click it in order to see the animation effect )
    "I will be back "

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    No. He is Vitaly Balikin. Plushy's off ice trainer and friend, he was a runner.
    Evgeni Plushenko says: "Do not worry, I jump carefully."
    Thanks a lot as always, plushyfan!
    I still love this Sasha! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfRJm3kIkPU
    I love love love every bit and moment of this program. Just look at gorgeous camel positions he hit at spins, and pitch-perfect straight-line step sequence. Aaaaand his angelic smile at the end! Priceless.

Tatjana Flade on FSU:
    New interview with Evgeni Plushenko here: http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/11164.html
    Keypoints:
    - FS is "Best of Plushenko", a selection of music he has used in former programs. He names "Godfather", "Adagio", "Tosca", "Tango Amore". When I was at the training camp in Italy I also heard "Sheherazade" and "Tango de Roxanne", but I don't know if that was the final version of the music. I thought that this idea is actually cool, although I usually don't like if too many music pieces are mixed together
    - he is in Sotchi at the training camp but not sure if he will take part in the test skate due to a minor foot problem and also because he needs to be careful with his back
    - he hopes to compete at Cup of Russia (Grand Prix in Moscow), Russian Nationals, European Championships and Olympic Games
    - he knows that he will have to skate the team event as well and is ready for it. But he said if he is not healthy enough to compete four programs in Sotchi he will not go to the Olympic Games as he doesn't want to let down his team. Then a younger skater should go and compete.

I'm sure, english translation of the whole article will be soon.

Custom Title
    I actually like the idea. And remembering the pieces of music...Edvin Marton did three of the four, so I'm sure what they would do is get Edvin to make an arrangement of the selected pieces, so there would be no choppy edits. The music should mesh well together.

Custom Title
    Godfather, Adagio, Tosca, Tango Amore all in one program? Sounds awful.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Godfather, Adagio, Tosca, Tango Amore all in one program? Sounds awful.
    This reminds me of what Manley did for her 1988 Olympic FS. She skated an inspired performance but the music cuts weren't very good. Plushenko will have a lot of Russian fans in Sochi so I'm sure they will appreciate this program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I actually like the idea. And remembering the pieces of music...Edvin Marton did three of the four, so I'm sure what they would do is get Edvin to make an arrangement of the selected pieces, so there would be no choppy edits. The music should mesh well together.
    It's very important they all mesh well! Not be choppy at all! But is that possible! Seems dangerous! Unified programs are in! Remember his Michael Jackson SP 2001-2002? That was a lot of different music put together! But if Marton is doing all the music then maybe he could make it a whole piece of music but incorporating all the music?? It would be a new piece but like "that's godfather influence! that's tango influence!" Not just be taking music from plushenko programs and having 20 seconds of this and 20 seconds of that and 30 seconds of that!

Custom Title
    To be honest, competing a FS of all his past programs is totally self-indulgent and not a good idea. While it's an understandable "final skate" piece for him, and the fans will certainly appreciate it, something like this is way more appropriate for an exhibition.

I doubt it will be well-received by the judges... how do you mark interpretation for a performance with 4+ different types of music?

- he knows that he will have to skate the team event as well and is ready for it. But he said if he is not healthy enough to compete four programs in Sotchi he will not go to the Olympic Games as he doesn't want to let down his team. Then a younger skater should go and compete.
    I always heard Plushy saying he's going to go to the Olympics, win it all and be proud (after all, skaters should be self-confident ) and it's probably the first time he's admitting there might be a slight chance he can't make it and won't go to the Olys. I wonder whether he started to be a bit more objective, worried or his health problems are more serious than they should be right now?
    What do you think, Plushyfan? You're the one that will know the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Cherryy View Post
    I always heard Plushy saying he's going to go to the Olympics, win it all and be proud (after all, skaters should be self-confident ) and it's probably the first time he's admitting there might be a slight chance he can't make it and won't go to the Olys. I wonder whether he started to be a bit more objective, worried or his health problems are more serious than they should be right now?
    What do you think, Plushyfan? You're the one that will know the best!
    No, you are wrong. After his surgery he was very careful in his interview. When he started the preparing seriously, he didn't gave interview. In 23 of june the doctor allowed him to jumping jumps on the ice! And he never said he will win in Sochi. He said he will do everything for that, he can skate in Russian OG, and if he can go to Sochi he will do everything for his best skating,and he would like to stand the podium. No more. He knows there are many good younger skaters, who have chance to win the OG. His health problems was very serious, but his recovery is well under way. But he had many injuries in his life and will be 31, I think he is very careful, he doesn't know what will be happen. And I think, in this case it is not just about him, he feels responsible for Russia's team, if he won't be in such a condition that he can do 4 programs, doesn't go to Sochi..

Medalist
    No, you are wrong. After his surgery he was very careful in his interview. When he started the preparing seriously, he didn't gave interview. In 23 of june the doctor allowed him to jumping jumps on the ice! And he never said he will win in Sochi. He said he will do everything for that, he can skate in Russian OG, and if he can go to Sochi he will do everything for his best skating,and he would like to stand the podium. No more. He knows there are many good younger skaters, who have chance to win the OG. His health problems was very serious, but his recovery is well under way. But he had many injuries in his life and will be 31, I think he is very careful, he doesn't know what will be happen. And I think, in this case it is not just about him, he feels responsible for Russia's team, if he won't be in such a condition that he can do 4 programs, doesn't go to Sochi..
    Yes, I remember in his first "real" post-operation interview (with Russia Radio in March), he was saying that his chance of competing in Sochi was 50:50 at that point, and that June, when the real training would start, would tell all. Back then, of course, whether he could return to the ice at all was basically completely unknown, and I think he and his team has a somewhat better sense of how things are going, though there cannot possibly be any certainties--as he is clearly well aware.

As for his new LP, I've been going on about it at other places....I was worried about whether the music can be made to work at first, but I've been thnking about it some more. People do skate "medley" programs, after all. Even in programs that aren't directly called such, but are generally seen as "unified", there are often different (though related) pieces of music being used. For instance, a movie soundtrack program may incorporate pieces from completely different parts of the movie. Editing still needs to be done to put them together.

If we only discuss the music itself, the pieces that Plushenko mentioned are mostly Marton's (except Adagio). In other words, most of the music were the works of one single composer, during a period of less than a decade, for one particular friend of that composer's, and one type of purpose. And from what I understand, that same composer is (very likely) doing the task of putting them together. (Admittedly, Godfather and Tosca were adaptations of other music, but Marton's handprints were pretty strong on them.) Theoretically, and just from the point of view of trying to make it sound unified and not jarring, I am not certain that overall, it really is harder to imagine than the more general "medley" situations.

As for being "self-indulgent": *shrugs* We have very little information right now, pretty much only the concept. I can imagine a scenario where it would indeed be directly "about" himself, his own past. Autobiographical, perhaps, if one may use such words on skating programs. If that were to be the case, then certainly I can imagine some people really not liking the idea. Of course, I can imagine people not liking the program for other reasons, too. It's a risky idea (as the reactions seem to already show), which is perhaps why it took Mishin quite a while to persuade Plushy, and everyone else on their team. We'll have to see what the actual program is like.

BTW, I also want to mention that in the team-russa2014 interview that plushyfan posted above, Plushenko said a little more about the new LP. From the gist of it, it seems that he and Mishin are seeing this as something completely new, and perhaps radically unusual. One specific sentence (google translate, but perhaps there will be better translations soon):

One can not simply add up all of the programs, all the pieces of choreography, which once served - and get a new program. It's just not possible!
    He also said that it is in fact harder to choreograph this program. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Custom Title
    Well said, whitebamboo! I must confess to being rather dubious about the whole idea myself - especially initially. But Tatjana Flade - who has heard at least "a" version, whether that ends up being "the" version, is yet not known - said she liked the music arrangement. One's immediate fear is that it would end up being... choppy, and incohesive. Of course, being a Plushy uber, I'm sure that he will be able to "sell" it to me - but just looking at it, "in cold blood", so to speak, the notion did not immediately appeal. The rumour has been kicking around for a while, and it feels to me as we fans have been regarding it with... cautious silence. At least I haven't seen many reactions when it was first mentioned, which I think I would have had it been either universally loved - or disliked - among fans. It's as everyone has been holding off until one were sure that it really was what he was going to skate to. But as always, the proof will be in the pudding, and we will simply have to wait and see.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Well said, whitebamboo! I must confess to being rather dubious about the whole idea myself - especially initially. But Tatjana Flade - who has heard at least "a" version, whether that ends up being "the" version, is yet not known - said she liked the music arrangement. One's immediate fear is that it would end up being... choppy, and incohesive. Of course, being a Plushy uber, I'm sure that he will be able to "sell" it to me - but just looking at it, "in cold blood", so to speak, the notion did not immediately appeal. The rumour has been kicking around for a while, and it feels to me as we fans have been regarding it with... cautious silence. At least I haven't seen many reactions when it was first mentioned, which I think I would have had it been either universally loved - or disliked - among fans. It's as everyone has been holding off until one were sure that it really was what he was going to skate to. But as always, the proof will be in the pudding, and we will simply have to wait and see.
    LOL, I remembered a little while ago, I was going on in another thread how one of my primary hopes for Plushy is that he'll be able to continue taking "artistic risks". I am starting to get a bit of the suspicion that I got my wish, possibly more than I had the guts for...

Custom Title
    One can not simply add up all of the programs, all the pieces of choreography, which once served - and get a new program. It's just not possible!
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebamboo View Post
    He also said that it is in fact harder to choreograph this program. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
    Shouldn't be an issue as I don't think he'll be taking the choreography of those programs anyways, and will have newer choreography to fit IJS standards.

I do like the thought of Marton arranging it... that to me seems like it could be a little more cohesive.

Last edited by dorispulaski; 08-29-2013 at 02:29 AM.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast