Siblings who share the skating "gene" | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Siblings who share the skating "gene"

bltracy

Spectator
Javier Fernandez's elder sister Laura was the first lady to compete in Europeans for Spain, in 2005 (finished 28th in SP). There used to be a youtube video of her doing ice show years ago, but no longer available now.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

gkelly

Record Breaker
Javier Fernandez's elder sister Laura was the first lady to compete in Europeans for Spain

She was not the first lady to compete in Europeans for Spain.

But I don't know if any of the previous Spanish ladies who competed at Europeans (most of whom seem to have been named Marta) had skating siblings.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Sarah and Emily Hughes both went to the Olympics in singles, with Sarah even winning an OGM.

Yipes, we forgot the Hughes girls? Yipes. Let me check back.

Yes, until you pointed it out, they weren't mentioned. At least we saved our honor by bringing up Michelle and Karen Kwan earlier.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
the Duchesnay's, The Garrasinos, The Shibutanis, Sarah and Emily Hughes and to a point Michelle and Karen Kwan and Mao and Mai asada seemed to have the skating gene:) the Baldwin brothers seemed to have more money than gene.

Sarah and Emily Hughes both went to the Olympics in singles, with Sarah even winning an OGM.

Yipes, we forgot the Hughes girls? Yipes. Let me check back.

Yes, until you pointed it out, they weren't mentioned. At least we saved our honor by bringing up Michelle and Karen Kwan earlier.

Repeating names is no crime, as far as I'm concerned.
But for the record, Skater Boy was the first to mention the Hughes sisters -- on June 12 in post #34 above. :)

This thread has endured for over two weeks, so it is understandable that some of the same names have been posted more than once. ;)

heyang

Record Breaker
I'm really sorry that Tiffany couldn't gain a foothold. She was such an interesting skater. I was really hopeful when she switched to ice dance. Was it just bad luck with partners? Does anyone know where she is today?

Last I recall, Johnnie quit skating to go to college and work at the family car dealership. I think this might be the auto dealership's website

http://www.autostiegler.com/

There is a Stephanie Stiegler with a sister named Tiffany on Facebook and they both 'like' several varied skating pages, but without 'friending' them, you can't determine what they are up to now.

JLPL

Spectator
Kris Wirtz (pairs partner and husband of Kristy Seargeant) was coached by his brother, Paul Wirtz (now deceased) and Kirs' nephew Sean Wirtz was also a pair skater.

Kristy also had a sister who was 1990 Canadian champion, Lisa Sargeant.

Last I recall, Johnnie quit skating to go to college and work at the family car dealership. I think this might be the auto dealership's website

http://www.autostiegler.com/

There is a Stephanie Stiegler with a sister named Tiffany on Facebook and they both 'like' several varied skating pages, but without 'friending' them, you can't determine what they are up to now.

Thanks, Heyang. That's more than I'd heard of them in years. Tiffany was very impressive.

What about brother and sister Eduoard Engelmann Jr. and Christa (Engelmann) von Szabo?

Engelmann won the European Championship three times, 1892, 1893, and 1894. But in the first ISU judging scandal, his 1893 victory was vacated by the 1895 ISU Congress. He also built the first artificial ice rink and was three-time German champion at unicycling.

Engelmann had three daughters, Edi, Henene, and Christine, who all skated. Christine married seven-time world champion Karl Schaefer.

Christa von Szabo was a two-time world medalist in pairs. Her daughter was Herma Szabo, who won five world championships in singles and two in pairs. :)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Peter and Kitty were both adopted, so it was unusual they'd both be world class pair skaters. How close were they in age. Anyone know interesting factoids about them?

BTW: "The eldest son of 1984 Olympic silver medalist Kitty Carruthers-Conrad, Brett ("B.J.") Conrad skated competitively until he was a freshman in high school, finishing eighth in intermediate men at the 2010 U.S. Junior Championships and ninth as a novice at the 2011 Midwestern Sectional Championships. Brett, who just turned 18, plans to take his senior free skate test this summer."

More about Kitty Carruthers-Conrad's son and about other second-generation skaters is in this new IN article:

Children of champions follow parents onto the ice
Offspring have met with varying levels of success

By Sarah S. Brannen, special to icenetwork.com
(06/24/2013)
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130624&content_id=51624368&vkey=ice_news

Thanks to all who continue to contribute to this thread. :)

ETA:

p.s. Old, but cute, tweet from Kitty Carruthers ‏@KittyC8084:
My cable company doesn't carry universal sports who knows if I can watch worlds from my ipad #want2listen2mybro
7:35 AM - 13 Mar 13
https://twitter.com/KittyC8084
She apparently now lives in Katy, Texas (near Houston). She tweeted several times earlier this year about her involvement in a charitable event supporting adoption.​

Viktor and Vladimir Petrenko. Both won Junior Worlds--Viktor in 1984, Vlad in 1986. At 1988 senior Worlds, Viktor was 3rd and Vlad 10th. Vlad also twice won bronze medals at Skate America.

The same IN article above mentions "the nephew of 1992 Olympic champion Viktor Petrenko, Daniel, who placed 10th in novice men" at U.S. Nationals in Omaha. Vladimir is Daniel's father.​

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Speaking of Australia, Danielle and Stephen Carr, 19 time nationals pairs champions. Four more for Stephen as a single skater.

This reminds me of another Danielle and Steve, Danielle and Steve Hartsell, the 1999 U.S. Pairs Champions. I don't think they've been mentioned.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Repeating names is no crime, as far as I'm concerned.

What a relief :biggrin:

Maybe not that strange with skating siblings or siblings doing other same sports. Often with one or both parents having done the sport. Families still tend to do things together :)

Belgium: Jorik Hendrickx and little sister Loena.

Originally competing for Sweden, Justus and Kalle Strid. At Nebelhorn Trophy in September Justus is going for an Olympic spot for Denmark with Kalle as his coach.

Sweden: In addition to the Helgesson sisters and their coaching mom Christina,

Alexander Majorov and little brother Nikolaj with father Alexander coaching and mom Irina choreographing and making costumes,

Isabelle and Angelica Olsson with coaching mom Susanne,

Taljegård sisters: Josefine, Maria(now Josefine's coach) and Malin,

Michelle and Richard Lundberg skated pairs. Sadly Michelle had an injury that stopped her carrier in 2012 after they qualified for Europeans. Richard is still training seeking another partner.

The twins Isabelle and Amanda Nylander(17th at world's 2006) They finished competing because of injuries.

Norway: the Gjersem twins Camilla and Anne Line (new thread? .... twins who share the skating "gene" :cool: )

The fun pair from Slovakia: Olga and Jozef Bestandig (7th at Euros in 2001).

Finland: Beata, Bela, Benjamin and Bettina Papp with coaching mom Ulla,

Susanna Pöykiö and Heidi, who later became her coach.

Come to think of it, didn't Viktoria Pavuk from Hungary also have a skating sister that later became her coach?

I used to smile to myself about how look-alike Susanna and Heidi were and Viktoria and her sister too.

US: Wasn't Ashley's brother also a competitive skater?

She was not the first lady to compete in Europeans for Spain.

But I don't know if any of the previous Spanish ladies who competed at Europeans (most of whom seem to have been named Marta) had skating siblings.

I remember only one Marta, namely Andrade. She competed at many Europeans, Worlds and was also an Olympian twice :clap:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't think Anastasia and Isabella Cannuscio have been mentioned yet

The Cannuscio sisters are in the first post of this thread -- which I started because of a brand-new (at the time) ice-dance.com article about them.
The link to the article is in the OP. :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Stretching the boundaries of the topic: Parent/child coaching situations.

Surya Bonaly and her mother... Suzanne? Was that her name? Although that may not be a genetic connection... Surya was adopted, wasn't she? Wow, I've walked myself into a corner... I don't think they are blood kin for reasons that should be obvious.

I coached my son on his golf team, and that was hard enough. I can't imagine coaching my child at a world class level in any sport.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Stretching the boundaries of the topic: Parent/child coaching situations.

Surya Bonaly and her mother... Suzanne? Was that her name? Although that may not be a genetic connection... Surya was adopted, wasn't she? Wow, I've walked myself into a corner... I don't think they are blood kin for reasons that should be obvious.

I coached my son on his golf team, and that was hard enough. I can't imagine coaching my child at a world class level in any sport.

Thanks for broadening the topic, Tonto. :) And for posting about the Bonalys.

In the thread title, I purposely put "gene" in quotation marks -- in an attempt to be metaphorical. ;)

At the risk of getting mocked again (I am not trying to be some kind of thread police): family connections that are not blood ties are perfectly welcome in this thread, IMHO.