Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Siblings who share the skating "gene"

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Wow, I am learning a lot from this thread. So many gems of information in the collective memory of GS members.

e.g.,
    What a delicate situation for the Helgessons and their mother.
    And I love the stuff about the James twins.

Going back to the Gilles family:
    Occurs to me that the twins Piper and Alexe both are skating for Canada now instead of the U.S. That must be a unique scenario?
    (Dunno if Todd has officially retired from skating.)

p.s. Dylan Moscovitch and his sister used to be partners, right? ETA: Speaking of pairs, the Carruthers sibs.

Custom Title
    There used to be a lot more sibling pairs skaters, especially in the U.S. Karol and Peter Kennedy were the first American world champs. These days the style of skating has changed enough, in both pairs and ice dancing, that music interpretation can be limited by the sibling relationship. So I imagine that brother-sister duos don't generally do as well in partner skating. Of course, there are always exceptions, such as the Kerrs.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    And I love the stuff about the James twins.
    You know that video I posted the link to. Well, I just had a look through that user's other videos, and there is another video of Vanessa and Melyssa skating together, but this time under the spotlights in 1999:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OWJ2IocsKc

Love the way that they are wearing different coloured dresses in this video, so that you can keep track of which twin is which! The only problem is, they don't tell us which twin is in which coloured dress!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ffionhanathomas View Post
    And, wow, Vanessa James started skating when she was 11! That's pretty late, in terms of World Championship standard isn't it?
    Yeah, 11 is pretty late to start, given that we have 16 year olds competing for medals in singles skating.

But, I'm not sure if the title meant that that was the twins' first time in a competition, or their first time competing as a partnership. Like, they could have been skating on their own for a long time before that. And just remember that Vanessa in particular had a pretty successful career as a singles skater (British Senior Ladies Champion in 2006, no less)

At the end of the day, if you're good enough, you'll catch up quickly enough!

Quote Originally Posted by ffionhanathomas View Post
    Anyway, I love her skating and her and Morgan Cipres are great together IMO.
    I too love Vanessa and Morgan skating together. But, I thought Vanessa and Yannick were good together as well. Haven't really decided yet which partnership I prefer, though.

CaroLiza_fan

Peter and Kitty were both adopted, so it was unusual they'd both be world class pair skaters. How close were they in age. Anyone know interesting factoids about them?

Custom Title
    Uspenski brothers Russia were 5th and 6th in 2008 at the nationals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtsmith12 View Post
    She's very beautiful!

Custom Title
    Some more examples:
    - Alexandra and Roman Zaretsky (ice dance)
    - Nicholas Buckland's brother, Joseph is a junior ice dancer. He skates with Olivia Smart.
    - Rachel and Dmitry Epstein are twins who are a junior pair skating team for the Netherlands.
    - Michal Brezina and Eliska Brezinova

Custom Title
    Annette and Veronika Dytrt. They skated together at the 1999 Euro Gala.
    Annette won three different nationals : 1999 Czech nationals, 2003 French nationals (as an invited skater, only Didier and Calvez in the field), and German nationals five time (2003-2006 and 2009).
    Veronika skated at German nationals until 1998 and then was either bronze or silver medalist at Czech nationals from 1999 to 2002.

Kitty and Peter Carruthers

Custom Title
    Viktor and Vladimir Petrenko. Both won Junior Worlds--Viktor in 1984, Vlad in 1986. At 1988 senior Worlds, Viktor was 3rd and Vlad 10th. Vlad also twice won bronze medals at Skate America.

Medalist
    Sandra Bezic and her brother Val were Canadian pairs champions from 1970 to 1974.

Custom Title
    Just thought of another--Isabelle and Veronique Delobel. Twin sisters who both competed at the senior level in ice dancing for France. Veronique competed in the early 2000s with Olivier Chapuis.

And, speaking of ice dancing siblings, we can't forget Isabelle & Paul Duchesnay.

Custom Title
    Australia trumps most of you - the four Dodds brothers, Matthew, Andrew, Jordan and Ryan, three of whom ALSO skate pairs in addition to singles!

Here is Jordan: his FP at JGP Lake Placid

With his partner Eliza Smyth at Lake Placid, SP, two hours after the Men's SP in which he also competed. I saw this program live tonight, and it was just beautiful. The video really doesn't do it justice. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Matthew and Ryan also do pairs and Ryan, let me tell you right now, is absolutely gorgeous. Really expressive, great connection with his partner.

Custom Title
    Speaking of Australia, Danielle and Stephen Carr, 19 time nationals pairs champions. Four more for Stephen as a single skater.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast