Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Who wins Olympic team event?

Custom Title
    I'm sure this question has been covered, and the answer is probably obvious, but only skaters who end up competing get medals in the team event right? And the federation makes that call? So if Canada asks Chan to compete in both the SP and FS, Reynolds wouldn't get a medal, but if they split the event they would each get one?

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    ... only skaters who end up competing get medals in the team event right? ...
    Right.

6. MEDALS/AWARDS
    The Teams ranked 1 to 3 will be awarded with the Olympic Gold, Silver and Bronze medals. Teams ranked 4 through 8 will receive an Olympic Diploma.
    Only Skaters who competed in at least one segment of the Figure Skating Team Event will receive a medal respectively a diploma as applicable.

Kind of like relay swimming.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Right.

6. MEDALS/AWARDS
    The Teams ranked 1 to 3 will be awarded with the Olympic Gold, Silver and Bronze medals. Teams ranked 4 through 8 will receive an Olympic Diploma.
    Only Skaters who competed in at least one segment of the Figure Skating Team Event will receive a medal respectively a diploma as applicable.
    Thanks for clarifying. I hope that teams maximize the number of athletes who can compete for a medal, not only because it'll give a break to skaters for their individual events but also give more athletes a chance at a medal.

Custom Title
    I would like someone like Reynolds for instance to get a gold medal if Canada wins, but unless Chan is having real problems with one of the two programs through the season- short or long, I dont see him getting a program to do. Canada wants that team gold badly, and there is just too big a gap in probable scoring of Chan and Reynolds even now (and yes I know it is placement, not score that matters, but a lower score in one program makes a lower placing and less points awared as a result more likely), and if it jeapordizes Team Canada's chances even a little bit, even if they still would probably win, then I just dont see them doing that. Even more obviously I highly doubt our 2nd women would get to do a program in place of Osmond. Can they use 2 pairs instead, I would think that is what Team Canada is more likely to do.

I think few countries in contention for a medal will switch up skaters unless they are close in ability. I could see Wagner and Gold switching and doing a program each. I could see the 2 U.S men perhaps. I could see both Russian ladies doing a program.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    I think the key will be how much the Canadian pairs beat the US vs how much the American ladies beat the Canadians.

If Plushenko skates, and I hope he does... this becomes a three-way dogfight and it will be thrilling.

Conceivably, the Japanese could win both singles placements, and still not get a medal.
    I think the Canadian pairs can beat the US pairs any day, but the American ladies (presuming that Wagner and Gold are used in the TE) both have a significant leg up on Osmond (and whoever else Canada may decide to enter), as this season has shown. Call me biased, but I'm putting my money on Wagner/Gold beating Osmond and a possible second Canadian lady by a wider margin than that between the pairs teams.

Japan is really crippled by its lack of a world-competitive pairs team (and, to some extent, dance). Even with Mao, Akiko, Kanako, Daisuke, and Yuzu as possible skaters in the TE, they could (and probably will) still fall behind the US, Canada, and maybe Russia.

Custom Title
    what i find interesting is that Patrick ripped the World Team Event, now he is excited about the Olympic Team event.
    Canada had a great chance to win the gold for the team, didn't do it for whatever reason, Patrick complained about it stating he kinda didn't want to be there so now he is fired up regarding the olympic.

i not sure. it seems he is watching his words trying to make himself look/sound good for the olympics and make up for the flak about the world team event.

Custom Title
    who wins depends on who goes and who skates in the sp/ free programs.
    anything can happen in team.
    wondering if hold up skaters who skate in both the team/individual. kinda of overlook small mistakes in individual if skates in team.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    what i find interesting is that Patrick ripped the World Team Event, now he is excited about the Olympic Team event.
    Canada had a great chance to win the gold for the team, didn't do it for whatever reason, Patrick complained about it stating he kinda didn't want to be there so now he is fired up regarding the olympic.

i not sure. it seems he is watching his words trying to make himself look/sound good for the olympics and make up for the flak about the world team event.
    I'm not a huge Patrick fan, but I can cut him some slack on viewing the Olympic Team Event as being a different animal altogether.

Granted, he should have kept his disparaging comments about WTT to himself. But surely we knowledgeable fans concede that these two events are not nearly the same in terms of prestige.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    I think the Canadian pairs can beat the US pairs any day, but the American ladies (presuming that Wagner and Gold are used in the TE) both have a significant leg up on Osmond (and whoever else Canada may decide to enter), as this season has shown. Call me biased, but I'm putting my money on Wagner/Gold beating Osmond and a possible second Canadian lady by a wider margin than that between the pairs teams.
    It is interesting to speculate about all the things that can happen. Since only placements, not CoP points, count in the end, when we say one skater can beat another by a wide margin this means that other skaters will insert themselves in between. For instance, V&S cannot separate themselves from D&R no matter how well they skate. Only S&S can help team Russia in pairs, assuming Germany even enters the competition.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    That's an example of why CoP is a more fair scoring system (when it's actually the total points that counts), if used accurately. Why should the winner of a competition be decided upon a lower ranked skater/team withdrawing or not?

Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post

No, unless Chan has a time machine, the quotes that Mathman cited above could not have been a cunning attempt to "make up" for the post-WTT controversy.
    The link that MM posted was for an article dated Mar 16 -- immediately after his three-peat at Worlds and long before WTT.

When will the skaters that are going to take part in the team event be announced? I know that definitely after nationals but is the deadline somehow regulated by ISU? Are the federations going to announce it the same day they announce all olympians? Sorry if this question has already been answered.

^^ In answer to Cherryy:

The day before the SPs or SD for the team event is the ISU deadline for federations to commit specific skaters to competing. (Whether any federation voluntarily will announce its team competitors at an earlier date is a separate question.)

If a NOC/ISU Member has 2 or 3 entries in an individual OWG competition/discipline then the NOC/ISU Member must declare the Skaters/Couples to compete in the Short Program/Short Dance of the Team Event latest at 10.00 hours (a.m.), local time on site of the OWG, the day before the beginning of the first Short Program/Short Dance of the Figure Skating Team Event. For the 5 Teams qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance of the Figure Skating Team Event the NOC/ISU Member must declare the Skater/Couple competing for the Free Skating/Free Dance immediately (latest about 10 minutes) after the conclusion of the last Short Program/Short Dance of the Team Event in order to ensure that the Team composition of all Teams are known before the beginning of the Free Skating/Free Dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    That's an example of why CoP is a more fair scoring system (when it's actually the total points that counts), if used accurately. Why should the winner of a competition be decided upon a lower ranked skater/team withdrawing or not?
    The trouble is that men get more points than anyone else. If it just went by points, a top man could score 300 points and it wouldn't matter what anyone did.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3