What *should* the US female skaters skate to next year in their SPs and LPs? | Golden Skate

What *should* the US female skaters skate to next year in their SPs and LPs?

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
What *should* the US female skaters skate to next year in their SPs and LPs?

Since you asked, I would like to recommend the theme from Downton Abbey for Alissa Czisny. Am I crazy that it would not be perfect that Czinsy, in a costume inspired by the character Lady Mary Crawley, skate to this trendy yet classy—crazy-classy—theme, as far as figure skating judges go? Don’t you think it would be awesome—AND—that the judges would eat it up for her short program?

Here’s the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ULKKJ5UpI

(Bibliography: The idea of a ladies’ program to the Downtown Abbey theme was not mine. I know someone else said this first on GS, I think maybe skateluvr, but god who knows. It was first suggested as a LP for Ashley Wagner months ago, for whom, I think, the music is too interesting.)

Here are my recommendations, matched to the artistic abilities, of other US female skaters:

For Agnes Zawadzksi, something sultry: my recommendation is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu2NzXb4x1s

For Ashley Wagner, something demographically tested and safe: my recommendation is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiGQ6zhEwWo

For Gracie Gold, something teenage emotions can understand : [link to “Call Me Maybe,” a bit hard to find on YouTube for free. Ha ha.]

Do I mean to start some debates on Golden Skate with this post? You betcha!

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
Since you asked, I would like to recommend the theme from Downton Abbey for Alissa Czisny. Am I crazy that it would not be perfect that Czinsy, in a costume inspired by the character Lady Mary Crawley, skate to this trendy yet classy—crazy-classy—theme, as far as figure skating judges go? Don’t you think it would be awesome—AND—that the judges would eat it up for her short program?

Here’s the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ULKKJ5UpI

YES! When watching Downton Abbey I always thought it would be a great program music, and it's perfect for Alissa's style. I'd love to see her skating to this. Or maybe even Li Zijun?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm still not sold on Gracie doing a program like Sleeping Beauty which requires a certain amount of grace and performance ability. At the very least they need to give her a uptempo fun number for her SP which suits her style more.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I think Gracie should do a fun and flirty piece, similar to what Flatt did in 2010 in the SP. It fits her ability. Why do something like Sleeping Beauty? I don't think she can pull it off, and if she doesn't, I hope they give 3 or 4 for IN. Not just Gracie, but everyone else who doesn't bother with interpretation and just skate through the music.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
OMG yes!! Alissa should TOTALLY be Mary Crawley and do Downton Abbey music - I love that idea!!

In terms of Gracie, one poster on GS (I'm blanking on who it was) said that she can get away with doing a pageanty Life is Beautiful, but trying to do Sleeping Beauty when the Olympics will be in a country where, as the person said, ballet is practically a religion, I don't think she can get away with that, and I'm frankly a bit disappointed in Marina Zueva.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Gracie should use the same music Midori skated to in 1988. I think it's uplifting, powerful, cheerful, and very fitting. Imagine she lands all 7 triples cleanly while skating joyfully. She would challenge for a medal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyu8GYBRIjE

I can hear the same comments for Gracie.
I must have watched this program over 100 times. The best LP by a lady ever.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Gracie should do a fun and flirty piece, similar to what Flatt did in 2010 in the SP. It fits her ability. Why do something like Sleeping Beauty? I don't think she can pull it off, and if she doesn't, I hope they give 3 or 4 for IN. Not just Gracie, but everyone else who doesn't bother with interpretation and just skate through the music.

I don't understand the Sleeping Beauty choice, either. There are classical pieces with more zing than that particular piece. I think the consensus is going to be, Sleeping Beauty--zzzzzzzzzzzz! But in IJS, maybe it doesn't matter, if she lands her jumps.

96skiluvr

On the Ice

Gracie DID a fun and flirty piece this season with Hernando's Hideaway, which is a fun tango, and was literally expressionless

ForeverFish

Medalist
Gracie DID a fun and flirty piece this season with Hernando's Hideaway, which is a fun tango, and was literally expressionless

No, not literally. This is just a regurgitation of what people have griped about all season. Watch the videos and you'll see.

In any case, I vote Ashley for the SP and Gracie for the FS.

ForeverFish

Medalist
OMG yes!! Alissa should TOTALLY be Mary Crawley and do Downton Abbey music - I love that idea!!

In terms of Gracie, one poster on GS (I'm blanking on who it was) said that she can get away with doing a pageanty Life is Beautiful, but trying to do Sleeping Beauty when the Olympics will be in a country where, as the person said, ballet is practically a religion, I don't think she can get away with that, and I'm frankly a bit disappointed in Marina Zueva.

:rolleye: Why don't we wait to actually SEE the program before commenting about how it'll be the first horse of the apocalypse?

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
Thanks for your positive reception to the idea of Czisny skating to the Downton Abbey theme, ffionhanathomas and 96skiluvr. Yay! I imagine she's already chosen her SP music (I'm just playing pretend here, after all, and am not up to date on the relevant GS thread), but in a world where she hasn't, I would hope she'd skate to that.

My other suggestions were meant in a humorous spirit, of course, though I think Zawadzki doing an exhibition to "I love the nightlife" would be classic. :) Glad it made you laugh too, snsd.

mskater93

Record Breaker
:rolleye: Why don't we wait to actually SEE the program before commenting about how it'll be the first horse of the apocalypse?

Agreed. Why does everyone think it's going to suck so bad? Marina understands this girl after having her come work with her teams a bit last fall/winter and she's put together some lovely programs for her dancers and some pair teams already, so why not for Gracie? Everyone thought Kwan was daft when they heard she was doing Salome after her previous programs until they SAW it.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agreed. Why does everyone think it's going to suck so bad? Marina understands this girl after having her come work with her teams a bit last fall/winter and she's put together some lovely programs for her dancers and some pair teams already, so why not for Gracie? Everyone thought Kwan was daft when they heard she was doing Salome after her previous programs until they SAW it.

True and at 15 some people thought Michelle was to young to do something as provocative as Salome. The rest as they say is history.