Which music would you love to see skated to (& by who)? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Which music would you love to see skated to (& by who)?

LRK

Record Breaker
That's a good question, LRK. I've often wondered why skating folk don't explore music more aggressively. Many skaters (and presumably their coaches and choreographers) seem to like what they hear but don't seem to hunt up anything on their own. One exception was Lori Nichol during the Kwan years. I think the Taj Mahal program was set to the music of an Azerbaijani composer, for example, and of course the Salome was from the Richard Strauss opera (with bits from a movie soundtrack and from Ippolitov-Ivanov's Caucasian Sketches). I think Sandra Bezic is intrepid about music. I'm always a bit disappointed in Tarasova's choices, which are almost invariably warhorses. I mean, even just looking at other works by the composers she always uses would net her some unusual and powerful pieces of music for programs. For example, Rachmaninoff wrote three symphonies in addition to his piano works, plus an absolutely heart-melting cello sonata, plus the elegiac trios. (Lori Nichol used a bit from Rachmaninoff's first Elegiac Trio, if I'm not mistaken, in that great 1998 short program for Michelle.) Even the much-used Tchaikovsky has barely been touched except for a few central works and has many surprises available.

As for movie soundtracks, there are heaps of untouched ones, including major works such as Field of Dreams and Legends of the Fall by James Horner, and some lovely passages by John Williams. Here's one of the best sections of the Harry Potter soundtracks, Mischief Managed from the third movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUGtOHqpS-A

And then there are Williams' more obscure movies, such as Hook, which give us this buoyant score, which I actually prefer to Harry Potter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xekV12yTKOQ

Not to mention Miklos Rozsa's splendid score for The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, which any "woman of mystery" could skate to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G2eEdznS2I

Some of my favourite Harry Potter pieces come from the second Deathly Hallows movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfU_sC7m2cA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_efSI5_UCxo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOdhEcOASuY

Who would make a good Harry Potter, do you think? Yuzuru?

Talking of famous - and John Williams - has anyone ever skated to Star Wars?

Definitely Yuzuru would make a great Harry. Do you remember that Swiss ski jumper whom everyone called Harry Potter in 2002 or 2006, Simon Ammann? He looked a lot like Yuzuru.

I don't know if anyone has ever skated to Star Wars. I can't recall anyone, but someone must have during all this time. It would be heaps of fun to see.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As for movie soundtracks, there are heaps of untouched ones, including major works such as Field of Dreams and Legends of the Fall by James Horner, and some lovely passages by John Williams.

IIRC, Dan Hollander & Liz Manley skated to music from Legends of the Fall. Vanessa Gusmeroli, too!

:love: John Williams' soundtracks & Olympic music (especially Summon the Heroes - done with the Boston Pops for the 1996 Atlanta Summer Olympics)

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
I can't access Youtube right now since I'm at the library, so I can't post specifics, but:

I'd love to see someone use the music from JAG. They put out a soundtrack with the score and it's so powerful. I'm not sure who would be good or could do it justice, other than maybe someone with Paul Wylie's style.

I'd also love to see music from Mission Impossible (the TV series) and Hawaii 5-0 (Original series). Both of their scores are out as well. Brasseur and Eisler could have done a great Mission routine.

Anything by Hans Zimmer (soundtrack composer) would be terrific.

Have any skaters ever used Bond music, as in the Classical crossover group? They've got some great stuff. My favorite of theirs is Explosive.

Oh, and I would KILL to see Delta Force. It's an early 1980s hostage movie with Chuck Norris and the theme is amazing. There's some strong notes that would scream for a really powerful, high jump, a really neat fast section that would lead to a lively footwork sequence, and just some powerful notes in general that could really bring out some great expression in a skater. The best would be if somone used it for an Olympic freeskate and then won. It could really get the crowd going.

I also love the theme to Disney's Fantasmic and Indiana Jones. I'm surprised Indiana has never been used, to be honest. Maybe one day.

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
Has anyone ever skated to the LOTR soundtrack? It's odd if no one has.

Todd Eldredge used music from the first movie, Fellowship, for his last LP, 2001-2002. Also Dorota Zagorska and Mariusz Siudek used it for 2002-2003. And Galit Chait and Sergei Sakhnovski did a blend of Fellowship and Nightmare from Lord of the Dance the same year. It's too bad Heather Gibson took down her LOTR website - she had a video of each of these routines on it. <www.shanfan.com>

gkelly

Record Breaker
A lot of the action soundtracks are pretty popular with boy skaters at the lower levels.

Have any skaters ever used Bond music, as in the Classical crossover group? They've got some great stuff. My favorite of theirs is Explosive.

Quite a few. The most famous being Yagudin's Winter

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Since we are on film soundtracks, here are 2 of my favourites, from 2 of the biggest films of the 90’s. Both would be brilliant as skating music.

John Williams’ “Jurassic Park Overture

Probably my favourite film score of the past 20 years. Pretty much any of the sections of this piece would be perfect as skating music. Hey, if somebody wanted to go all out with a Jurassic Park theme, they could easily get both a SP and a FS out of it!

James Horner’s “Titanic Suite

Just to warn you, this link is to the full-length orchestral version. NOT the Celine Dion “My Heart Will Go On” shortened version.

Last year, I went to a concert that the Ulster Orchestra held at the shipyard where the Titanic was built. They were due to play both of these pieces, but because of things over-running, they did not have enough time to perform the “Jurassic Park Overture”. But, they did perform the “Titanic Suite” in full, and it just sounds amazing live!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Tonya Harding skated to Jurassic Park.

Tonya was before my time (I only started watching figure skating this side of the millennium), so I had to look it up. It was the Olympics performance of her 1994 FS I watched. Very good skate, especially after all the drama that came before it.

The Drama
The Performance

But, personally, I didn't like the music she used. Yes, they used some of the main Jurassic Park theme in the middle, but it would have been a lot better if they had used it for the entire programme. Frankly, the music at the start and end was boring.

But, that is just my opinion.

As for Titanic, there are quite a few gala performances with Celine Dion singing along, e.g. Akiko Suzuki, Jennifer Jones, Juliet Feinman (to name but a few of the results on the first page of the YouTube search for "Titanic Skating").

But, my favourite was this performance by Savchenko and Szolkowy.

S/S were skating along to live music provided by André Rieu and an orchestra. André was actually standing on the ice playing, so I was particularly impressed by the fact that niether skaters nor violinist got in each other's way, nor did they put each other off their performance. Talk about a perfect example of professionalism!

CaroLiza_fan