Which music would you love to see skated to (& by who)? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which music would you love to see skated to (& by who)?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mr. Holland's Opus.

:love: the score (and the soundtrack with the pop songs - have both)! I do remember there was a German men's skater who skated to some of the music from the score @ 1998 Worlds. His costume had some musical notes/piano keys (?) on it.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Anything by Haydn, by anybody. :)

Haydn's "Österreich" is one of my favourite pieces of music!!! :biggrin:

For those who are unfamiliar with this piece (and those who like to find out interesting things through their interest in figure skating!), here is a quick history lesson.

Haydn composed "Österreich" in 1797 specifically to provide a tune for the poem "Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser", so that it could become the Austrian National Anthem.

However, after WW1, Austria wanted to break with the past, so they abolished the monarchy. Consequently, the lyrics became obsolete, and the anthem was dropped. After a few years with a different anthem, "Österreich" was re-adopted and given new lyrics ("Sei gesegnet ohne Ende"). Eventually (after WW2) "Österreich" was replaced as the National Anthem with a piece by Mozart, which is still in use today.

Meanwhile, Germany’s monarchy was also abolished after WW1, for the same reasons. Consequently, the lyrics to it’s National Anthem ("Heil dir im Siegerkranz") also became obsolete. Another thing that didn’t help was that "Heil dir im Siegerkranz" used the same tune as the British National Anthem, and considering the 2 countries had just been at war…

So, when Germany found out "Österreich" was available, they jumped at the chance to claim it as their new anthem. An old patriotic poem was set to the music, and it became the new German National Anthem in 1922. As a result of this, "Österreich" is now better known across the world as "Deutschland über alles"!

You know, I always find it funny whenever Sebastian Vettel wins a Formula 1 race for Red Bull Racing, because it means we get to hear the OLD Austrian National Anthem back-to-back with the NEW Austrian National Anthem!

Mind you, much as I like "Österreich", I think it would be inappropriate for a current national anthem to be used as skating music.

CaroLiza_fan

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mind you, much as I like "Österreich", I think it would be inappropriate for a current national anthem to be used as skating music.

OK. This is WAY WAY WAY off topic, but this reminds me of Holly Hunter's talent scene in "Miss Firecracker."

She did a hilarious tap dance/rifle twirling routine to the Star Spangled Banner. All the funnier because the character did it in earnest, and it brought the house down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_0MEABvCKE

It's worth a look if you need cheering up!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
There are two pieces of music in particular that I have always thought would be great for skating.

The first is “Big World” by Paul Casey. I first heard it on Gerry Anderson's BBC Radio Ulster show at the end of 2011, and it just blew me away. After a few times hearing it, I started thinking "You know, that's the sort of music I can imagine Kevin van der Perren skating to…"

Unfortunately, Kevin announced his retirement shortly afterwards. So, ever since, I have been trying to think of somebody else that it would suit. At the moment I’m dithering between Daisuke Takahashi and Brian Joubert. But, I’m leaning towards Takahashi.

Unfortunately, there are only live performances on YouTube, so here is the studio version on his MySpace profile:

http://www.myspace.com/music/player?sid=88509904

Paul used to have the instrumental version available on his website, but the page with the link has now been removed. Luckily, I had saved the direct link to the music file. So if you want to listen to the instrumental version, give me a PM and I’ll send you the link.

The original version of the song is totally epic. The first time I played it to my Mum, I played it back-to-back with "Lux Aeterna" (which, as you all probably remember, a lot of skaters were using that season). Both of us thought "Big World" was far better. However, you lose a lot of the epicness in the instrumental version. So, it might be more suitable for a gala programme than a competition programme.

And now, for something COMPLETELY different.

The other piece I was thinking of is “You Can’t Stop The Beat” from the musical “Hairspray”!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K54VMAmjNSk

The video is taken from the 2007 movie version of “Hairspray”. I only saw the movie last year, and I absolutely loved it!!!

“You Can’t Stop The Beat” would be absolutely brilliant for an Ice Dance routine. Maybe even a Pairs routine. It’s a lot of fun, and would make a great gala routine, whichever category it is used in.

I can’t see this piece working as a singles routine, though.

As for who to use it, well Pechelat/Bourzat made a good go of a lively piece of music this year with Offenbach’s “Can-Can”. So, I think they could pull this one off as well!

But, if you can think of anybody better, I’d be delighted to hear suggestions!

Alternatively, I think it would also make a good finale piece for a gala. You could have the competitors from one category come on and perform individually during the first verse, and then have them all do something together doing the chorus! Then the next category's skaters could do the same fro the next verse and chorus; and so on until everybody is on for a big climax!

It could turn out to be very impressive!

CaroLiza_fan

Haydn's "Österreich" is one of my favourite pieces of music!!! :biggrin:

...Mind you, much as I like "Österreich", I think it would be inappropriate for a current national anthem to be used as skating music.

:) But turning the page... "The emperor" is Haydn's string quartet opus 76, no. 3 (2). But opus 76 no. 4 (1) would be great for skating. Plus the first two and a half minutes would work just right for a short program. Here is the first little bit. This quartet won the bronze medal! :rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yEB6zF0YNA

TontoK said:
OK. This is WAY WAY WAY off topic, but this reminds me of Holly Hunter's talent scene in "Miss Firecracker."

:points:

gkelly

Record Breaker
:love: the score (and the soundtrack with the pop songs - have both)! I do remember there was a German men's skater who skated to some of the music from the score @ 1998 Worlds. His costume had some musical notes/piano keys (?) on it.

Andrejs Vlascenko

I've never been fond of the twelve-tone composers, but I like your idea of something new in the way of music. Other violin concertos that might have sections to skate to are the Sibelius and the Dvorak. For some reason, I'm not fond of the Brahms, but his double concerto is a favorite of mine. YuNa or Mao could interpret any of those.

I think concertos tend to be particularly well suited for skating -- some lush orchestral melodies, and some bravura solo passages that would work well for footwork. I am also especially fond of the Brahms double concerto.

Yes, wasn't it the Dvorak cello concerto that Caroline Zhang skated to to such splendid effect last year? That first moment when the solo cello makes its appearance always gives me gooseflesh.

And then there's the Beethoven Emperor concerto, the fifth piano concerto. And the Brahms second piano concerto. Why don't choreographers listen to us? We have great ideas.

By the way, the Osterreich was also adapted as a hymn in this country at least, "Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken." I knew it was by Haydn, but it wasn't until I was an adult that I realized that it was "Deutchland uber Alles."

meem

On the Ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTiI4SXFka8

When I saw this thread I immediately thought of Alissa skating to Pucinni's O Mio Babbino Caro (instrumental version, please). I even mentioned it to her in an email a few years ago. (She agreed, it's beautiful music.) But, it might not be "enough" for a competitive program (altho' I'm hoping she'll get out of competition and protect her healing body by skating in shows only from now on).

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Since all the skaters have already settled on their music for the incoming season, let's pick music for the season after! This means you can pick songs with lyrics for all the disciplines, since there will be no deduction for them then. Here are my picks:

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Is This Love
for Jason Brown. I'm sure Jason (and Rohene Ward) can do something soulful and lovely with this song, which epitomizes soulful and lovely. And he can do something interesting with the shuffling gait of the reggae rhythm, too.

The Doors - Break on Through (To The Other Side) for Yuzuru Hanyu. It'd really be more ideal for a more mature artistic skater like Daisuke Takahashi or Jeremy Abbott, but I'm sure they'd be retired by then. Yuzuru, though, might be able to capture the swirling intensity and wildness in the song. The famous song kicks into high gear barely 20 seconds in, which is about the time when high level skaters like to do their first jump. Also, the original album version of the song is already the perfect length for a short program, no editing required!

The xx - Islands for Adelina Sotnikova. The cool, seemingly easy-flowing song with an undercurrent of sensuality and obsessive passion would be perfect for Yuna Kim. But again, I'm sure she'd be retired by then. I think Ms. Sotnikova would be able to pull it off, if she puts just a touch more self-possession into her skating. Also, the song is practically short program length, with minimal editing required.

I think of Johnny and Maria with that music, and I have to say I like it only for its association with them, not as a song in itself, so I wouldn't like to see YuNa use it. But that's my personal taste, not any objective judgment.

If we're going to start thinking of vocal music, let me trot out my favorite pop songs.

I like Sophie B. Hawkins' "As I Lay Me Down." It's got both a wonderful melody and an incredibly catchy rhythm, both regular and irregular at the same time, with the potential for both smoothness and quickness at different parts of the program:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EjpKoMy6Bs

There are a few really old rock songs that have such sweetness and yearning to them, plus an easy rhythm that could accompany both glide and leaps. One of my favorites is the Drifters' "This Magic Moment." The center has a stretch of orchestral strings that could be a great background for a spin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFckIZxob-8

I've always wanted to see someone skate to the original "Stand by Me," by Ben E. King, which also has that great lush string interlude in the middle. The basic beat is a cha-cha, like "This Magic Moment," so it isn't as driving as the typical rock song beat. It could work well for transitional steps before and after jumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbg7YoXiKn0

Then there's opera! Goody; people can finally skate to the Flower Song from Lakmé. It's slow but so rich.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf42IP__ipw

And heaps of Russian opera. This piece is one of Levko's songs from Rimsky-Korsakov's May Night. It starts slow but really gets going. The singer is Sergei Lemeshev, one of my heartthrobs. He was unknown in the West—even in Eastern Europe—Stalin wouldn't let him travel at all. Even my opera buff friends, even my friend who was a professor of music, had never heard of him. I found him on YouTube a few years ago. It's moments like these that I give thanks for YT for bringing us the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOxcDdwf1xY

DianaSelene

Medalist
I think of Johnny and Maria with that music, and I have to say I like it only for its association with them, not as a song in itself, so I wouldn't like to see YuNa use it. But that's my personal taste, not any objective judgment.

If we're going to start thinking of vocal music, let me trot out my favorite pop songs.

I like Sophie B. Hawkins' "As I Lay Me Down." It's got both a wonderful melody and an incredibly catchy rhythm, both regular and irregular at the same time, with the potential for both smoothness and quickness at different parts of the program:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EjpKoMy6Bs

There are a few really old rock songs that have such sweetness and yearning to them, plus an easy rhythm that could accompany both glide and leaps. One of my favorites is the Drifters' "This Magic Moment." The center has a stretch of orchestral strings that could be a great background for a spin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFckIZxob-8

I've always wanted to see someone skate to the original "Stand by Me," by Ben E. King, which also has that great lush string interlude in the middle. The basic beat is a cha-cha, like "This Magic Moment," so it isn't as driving as the typical rock song beat. It could work well for transitional steps before and after jumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbg7YoXiKn0

Then there's opera! Goody; people can finally skate to the Flower Song from Lakmé. It's slow but so rich.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf42IP__ipw

And heaps of Russian opera. This piece is one of Levko's songs from Rimsky-Korsakov's May Night. It starts slow but really gets going. The singer is Sergei Lemeshev, one of my heartthrobs. He was unknown in the West—even in Eastern Europe—Stalin wouldn't let him travel at all. Even my opera buff friends, even my friend who was a professor of music, had never heard of him. I found him on YouTube a few years ago. It's moments like these that I give thanks for YT for bringing us the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOxcDdwf1xY

Actually, Lemeshev was very famous in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe and still is. He was brilliant and got many prizes. However, while it is true that he did not sing in the US, he performed in China, Germany, and other European countries. Russian/Soviet opera singers generally are just not well known in the West (unlike Italian/Spanish singers) which is probably why your opera friends have not heard of him.

Thanks for the extra info. Everything I read said that he was really restricted geographically, which I thought was such a shame. Gorgeous voices like that should be shared. I can see that in the fifties and sixties he might have gone to China, but in the early peak of his career, in the thirties, he probably was far more restricted, because the Soviet Union was so closed in. Then during the War, of course, everything came to a halt. Also, Lemeshev got TB and was very ill for awhile. The fact that he had such a long career (and then followed his operatic retirement with a second career singing with a folk orchestra) was just about miraculous.

Have you ever seen the movie he was in in the thirties, A Music Story? (One Google entry says that the title in transliterated Russian is “Muzykalnaya istoriya.") At one point they had the whole film on YT in installments, and I was enthralled. He was obviously a good actor as well as a wonderful singer. His costar in the movie was Zoya Fedorova, and now I understand the fuss about her; such a naturalistic actress.

Any other information you have, let me know! If you don't want to be OT on a thread, send me a PM. As you can see, I'm a music geek and especially love Russian opera, not that I understand a word of what's being sung, but the music speaks volumes.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'd love for Alissa to have skated to Rhapsody in Blue. It is more powerful than the music she skates to yet "broad" enough to be in her comfort zone.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I love all your musical suggestions Olympia. Sophie B. Hawkins has been a long time fave of mine. She made great alternative pop with lovely melodies. I think "As I Lay Me Down" would be a great song for many of the skating girls that will be around in the 2014-2015 season to skate to. It's not too adult/mature for them, since they're all so young (in fact, I forewent a bunch of potential songs because I didn't think there are any woman skaters adult enough for them). The song is a tribute to her deceased father. Ben E. King's "Stand by Me" is, of course, undeniable. Although it'd take a certain amount of gravitas to skate to. The pure bliss of the Flower Duet is probably an easier fit.

Here's a song that isn't necessarily a favorite (although I do like it), but mainly I'm aghast none of the junior ice dancing team skated to it in the recent season when hip-hop was one of the rhythm options:

Kanye West and Jay-Z - Paris (not the official video, but this one has even better production values, and is less likely to give people seizures). I mean seriously, how could they not skate to it? It's the only popular song in the last few decades that directly mentions figure skating, via samples of dialog from the film Blades of Glory. And ideally, a skater should be French, black and full of the proper swagger to skate to it. That means Florent Amodio, if he's still competing then.

icellist

On the Ice
After gawking over Zijun Li's past program to Lee Holdridge's Scenes of Summer. I think Mirai could really do it justice. Though Tara Lipinski's should be mentioned (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEuQ2p8TM8Q), I don't love her programs cuts.

For Mirai's other program, I hope a rendition of Sorceror's Apprentice and Holst's Uranus maybe with exciting Bebe Liang choreo. :biggrin: