Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Which music would you love to see skated to (& by who)?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuan View Post
    I would like to see someone skate to my favourite Kreisler piece Tambourin Chinois. This is a version of David Garett
    It is great piece for a young Mao or a young Yuna. I think a lot of speed and youthful charm and joy is necessary to perform it well. Maybe something for Li Zijun? I think it would suit her style now. Or Akiko?...Hmmm, she is older but it could be fitting as well....
    I like that piece, too. What a great idea for a skating program. Besides being an amusing, interesting piece of music, it hasn't been done to death by skater after skater.

Tripping on the Podium
    I'd love to hear more Thomas Newman.

1. Finding Nemo

Mirai, maybe?

2. A Series of Unfortunate Events

a. V.F.D.
    b. The Reptile Room
    c. Drive Away

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Mr. Holland's Opus.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelmina View Post
    I'd love to hear more Thomas Newman.

1. Finding Nemo
    The engineering and mastering of the Finding Nemo soundtrack is amazing! It sounds better on the CD than on YouTube. I wonder if this quality would come across through an arena's sound system. Some of the audio cues from the movie are a little odd, though; but those can be easily removed.

Custom Title
    Liszt Consolation #3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM4um64ZeMU
    Li, Mao, Zhang, Gao

Aaron or Mirai to It's A Jungle Out There

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdFRda62Hvo

YU-na to Ravel's La Valse
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK6gGWMnTZI

Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    Mr. Holland's Opus.

the score (and the soundtrack with the pop songs - have both)! I do remember there was a German men's skater who skated to some of the music from the score @ 1998 Worlds. His costume had some musical notes/piano keys (?) on it.

Custom Title
    Because of the waltz sections of this piece, Scherzo Fantastique by Josef Suk, I wish someone would edit to make a skating program out of it. The main melody is very haunting and reminds me of Sasha Cohen's Sentimental Waltz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj1Kh2NxGas

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Anything by Haydn, by anybody.
    Haydn's "Österreich" is one of my favourite pieces of music!!!

For those who are unfamiliar with this piece (and those who like to find out interesting things through their interest in figure skating!), here is a quick history lesson.

Haydn composed "Österreich" in 1797 specifically to provide a tune for the poem "Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser", so that it could become the Austrian National Anthem.

However, after WW1, Austria wanted to break with the past, so they abolished the monarchy. Consequently, the lyrics became obsolete, and the anthem was dropped. After a few years with a different anthem, "Österreich" was re-adopted and given new lyrics ("Sei gesegnet ohne Ende"). Eventually (after WW2) "Österreich" was replaced as the National Anthem with a piece by Mozart, which is still in use today.

Meanwhile, Germany’s monarchy was also abolished after WW1, for the same reasons. Consequently, the lyrics to it’s National Anthem ("Heil dir im Siegerkranz") also became obsolete. Another thing that didn’t help was that "Heil dir im Siegerkranz" used the same tune as the British National Anthem, and considering the 2 countries had just been at war…

So, when Germany found out "Österreich" was available, they jumped at the chance to claim it as their new anthem. An old patriotic poem was set to the music, and it became the new German National Anthem in 1922. As a result of this, "Österreich" is now better known across the world as "Deutschland über alles"!

You know, I always find it funny whenever Sebastian Vettel wins a Formula 1 race for Red Bull Racing, because it means we get to hear the OLD Austrian National Anthem back-to-back with the NEW Austrian National Anthem!

Mind you, much as I like "Österreich", I think it would be inappropriate for a current national anthem to be used as skating music.

CaroLiza_fan

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    Mind you, much as I like "Österreich", I think it would be inappropriate for a current national anthem to be used as skating music.
    OK. This is WAY WAY WAY off topic, but this reminds me of Holly Hunter's talent scene in "Miss Firecracker."

She did a hilarious tap dance/rifle twirling routine to the Star Spangled Banner. All the funnier because the character did it in earnest, and it brought the house down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_0MEABvCKE

It's worth a look if you need cheering up!

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    There are two pieces of music in particular that I have always thought would be great for skating.

The first is “Big World” by Paul Casey. I first heard it on Gerry Anderson's BBC Radio Ulster show at the end of 2011, and it just blew me away. After a few times hearing it, I started thinking "You know, that's the sort of music I can imagine Kevin van der Perren skating to…"

Unfortunately, Kevin announced his retirement shortly afterwards. So, ever since, I have been trying to think of somebody else that it would suit. At the moment I’m dithering between Daisuke Takahashi and Brian Joubert. But, I’m leaning towards Takahashi.

Unfortunately, there are only live performances on YouTube, so here is the studio version on his MySpace profile:

http://www.myspace.com/music/player?sid=88509904

Paul used to have the instrumental version available on his website, but the page with the link has now been removed. Luckily, I had saved the direct link to the music file. So if you want to listen to the instrumental version, give me a PM and I’ll send you the link.

The original version of the song is totally epic. The first time I played it to my Mum, I played it back-to-back with "Lux Aeterna" (which, as you all probably remember, a lot of skaters were using that season). Both of us thought "Big World" was far better. However, you lose a lot of the epicness in the instrumental version. So, it might be more suitable for a gala programme than a competition programme.

And now, for something COMPLETELY different.

The other piece I was thinking of is “You Can’t Stop The Beat” from the musical “Hairspray”!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K54VMAmjNSk

The video is taken from the 2007 movie version of “Hairspray”. I only saw the movie last year, and I absolutely loved it!!!

“You Can’t Stop The Beat” would be absolutely brilliant for an Ice Dance routine. Maybe even a Pairs routine. It’s a lot of fun, and would make a great gala routine, whichever category it is used in.

I can’t see this piece working as a singles routine, though.

As for who to use it, well Pechelat/Bourzat made a good go of a lively piece of music this year with Offenbach’s “Can-Can”. So, I think they could pull this one off as well!

But, if you can think of anybody better, I’d be delighted to hear suggestions!

Alternatively, I think it would also make a good finale piece for a gala. You could have the competitors from one category come on and perform individually during the first verse, and then have them all do something together doing the chorus! Then the next category's skaters could do the same fro the next verse and chorus; and so on until everybody is on for a big climax!

It could turn out to be very impressive!

CaroLiza_fan

Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    Haydn's "Österreich" is one of my favourite pieces of music!!!

...Mind you, much as I like "Österreich", I think it would be inappropriate for a current national anthem to be used as skating music.
    But turning the page... "The emperor" is Haydn's string quartet opus 76, no. 3 (2). But opus 76 no. 4 (1) would be great for skating. Plus the first two and a half minutes would work just right for a short program. Here is the first little bit. This quartet won the bronze medal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yEB6zF0YNA

Quote Originally Posted by TontoK
    OK. This is WAY WAY WAY off topic, but this reminds me of Holly Hunter's talent scene in "Miss Firecracker."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    the score (and the soundtrack with the pop songs - have both)! I do remember there was a German men's skater who skated to some of the music from the score @ 1998 Worlds. His costume had some musical notes/piano keys (?) on it.
    Andrejs Vlascenko

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I've never been fond of the twelve-tone composers, but I like your idea of something new in the way of music. Other violin concertos that might have sections to skate to are the Sibelius and the Dvorak. For some reason, I'm not fond of the Brahms, but his double concerto is a favorite of mine. YuNa or Mao could interpret any of those.
    I think concertos tend to be particularly well suited for skating -- some lush orchestral melodies, and some bravura solo passages that would work well for footwork. I am also especially fond of the Brahms double concerto.

Custom Title
    Yes, wasn't it the Dvorak cello concerto that Caroline Zhang skated to to such splendid effect last year? That first moment when the solo cello makes its appearance always gives me gooseflesh.

And then there's the Beethoven Emperor concerto, the fifth piano concerto. And the Brahms second piano concerto. Why don't choreographers listen to us? We have great ideas.

By the way, the Osterreich was also adapted as a hymn in this country at least, "Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken." I knew it was by Haydn, but it wasn't until I was an adult that I realized that it was "Deutchland uber Alles."

Custom Title
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTiI4SXFka8

When I saw this thread I immediately thought of Alissa skating to Pucinni's O Mio Babbino Caro (instrumental version, please). I even mentioned it to her in an email a few years ago. (She agreed, it's beautiful music.) But, it might not be "enough" for a competitive program (altho' I'm hoping she'll get out of competition and protect her healing body by skating in shows only from now on).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast