Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Which music would you love to see skated to (& by who)?

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Since all the skaters have already settled on their music for the incoming season, let's pick music for the season after! This means you can pick songs with lyrics for all the disciplines, since there will be no deduction for them then. Here are my picks:

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Is This Love
    for Jason Brown. I'm sure Jason (and Rohene Ward) can do something soulful and lovely with this song, which epitomizes soulful and lovely. And he can do something interesting with the shuffling gait of the reggae rhythm, too.

The Doors - Break on Through (To The Other Side) for Yuzuru Hanyu. It'd really be more ideal for a more mature artistic skater like Daisuke Takahashi or Jeremy Abbott, but I'm sure they'd be retired by then. Yuzuru, though, might be able to capture the swirling intensity and wildness in the song. The famous song kicks into high gear barely 20 seconds in, which is about the time when high level skaters like to do their first jump. Also, the original album version of the song is already the perfect length for a short program, no editing required!

The xx - Islands for Adelina Sotnikova. The cool, seemingly easy-flowing song with an undercurrent of sensuality and obsessive passion would be perfect for Yuna Kim. But again, I'm sure she'd be retired by then. I think Ms. Sotnikova would be able to pull it off, if she puts just a touch more self-possession into her skating. Also, the song is practically short program length, with minimal editing required.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Yes! I really liked his performance @ those Worlds, & was thrilled to hear the score music from Mr. Holland's Opus! Thanks for the link!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Taan View Post
    I want YUNA to skate to OTONAL by Raul di Blasio , so perfect for her!!!!
    That Music belongs to Maria Butyrskaya and Maria interpreted it so beautifully so I don't think Yu Na should skate to that

To me Otonal belongs to Johnny -- his 2005 Nationals win.

Custom Title
    I think of Johnny and Maria with that music, and I have to say I like it only for its association with them, not as a song in itself, so I wouldn't like to see YuNa use it. But that's my personal taste, not any objective judgment.

If we're going to start thinking of vocal music, let me trot out my favorite pop songs.

I like Sophie B. Hawkins' "As I Lay Me Down." It's got both a wonderful melody and an incredibly catchy rhythm, both regular and irregular at the same time, with the potential for both smoothness and quickness at different parts of the program:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EjpKoMy6Bs

There are a few really old rock songs that have such sweetness and yearning to them, plus an easy rhythm that could accompany both glide and leaps. One of my favorites is the Drifters' "This Magic Moment." The center has a stretch of orchestral strings that could be a great background for a spin.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFckIZxob-8

I've always wanted to see someone skate to the original "Stand by Me," by Ben E. King, which also has that great lush string interlude in the middle. The basic beat is a cha-cha, like "This Magic Moment," so it isn't as driving as the typical rock song beat. It could work well for transitional steps before and after jumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbg7YoXiKn0

Then there's opera! Goody; people can finally skate to the Flower Song from Lakmé. It's slow but so rich.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf42IP__ipw

And heaps of Russian opera. This piece is one of Levko's songs from Rimsky-Korsakov's May Night. It starts slow but really gets going. The singer is Sergei Lemeshev, one of my heartthrobs. He was unknown in the West—even in Eastern Europe—Stalin wouldn't let him travel at all. Even my opera buff friends, even my friend who was a professor of music, had never heard of him. I found him on YouTube a few years ago. It's moments like these that I give thanks for YT for bringing us the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOxcDdwf1xY

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I think of Johnny and Maria with that music, and I have to say I like it only for its association with them, not as a song in itself, so I wouldn't like to see YuNa use it. But that's my personal taste, not any objective judgment.

If we're going to start thinking of vocal music, let me trot out my favorite pop songs.

I like Sophie B. Hawkins' "As I Lay Me Down." It's got both a wonderful melody and an incredibly catchy rhythm, both regular and irregular at the same time, with the potential for both smoothness and quickness at different parts of the program:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EjpKoMy6Bs

There are a few really old rock songs that have such sweetness and yearning to them, plus an easy rhythm that could accompany both glide and leaps. One of my favorites is the Drifters' "This Magic Moment." The center has a stretch of orchestral strings that could be a great background for a spin.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFckIZxob-8

I've always wanted to see someone skate to the original "Stand by Me," by Ben E. King, which also has that great lush string interlude in the middle. The basic beat is a cha-cha, like "This Magic Moment," so it isn't as driving as the typical rock song beat. It could work well for transitional steps before and after jumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbg7YoXiKn0

Then there's opera! Goody; people can finally skate to the Flower Song from Lakmé. It's slow but so rich.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf42IP__ipw

And heaps of Russian opera. This piece is one of Levko's songs from Rimsky-Korsakov's May Night. It starts slow but really gets going. The singer is Sergei Lemeshev, one of my heartthrobs. He was unknown in the West—even in Eastern Europe—Stalin wouldn't let him travel at all. Even my opera buff friends, even my friend who was a professor of music, had never heard of him. I found him on YouTube a few years ago. It's moments like these that I give thanks for YT for bringing us the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOxcDdwf1xY
    Actually, Lemeshev was very famous in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe and still is. He was brilliant and got many prizes. However, while it is true that he did not sing in the US, he performed in China, Germany, and other European countries. Russian/Soviet opera singers generally are just not well known in the West (unlike Italian/Spanish singers) which is probably why your opera friends have not heard of him.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the extra info. Everything I read said that he was really restricted geographically, which I thought was such a shame. Gorgeous voices like that should be shared. I can see that in the fifties and sixties he might have gone to China, but in the early peak of his career, in the thirties, he probably was far more restricted, because the Soviet Union was so closed in. Then during the War, of course, everything came to a halt. Also, Lemeshev got TB and was very ill for awhile. The fact that he had such a long career (and then followed his operatic retirement with a second career singing with a folk orchestra) was just about miraculous.

Have you ever seen the movie he was in in the thirties, A Music Story? (One Google entry says that the title in transliterated Russian is “Muzykalnaya istoriya.") At one point they had the whole film on YT in installments, and I was enthralled. He was obviously a good actor as well as a wonderful singer. His costar in the movie was Zoya Fedorova, and now I understand the fuss about her; such a naturalistic actress.

Any other information you have, let me know! If you don't want to be OT on a thread, send me a PM. As you can see, I'm a music geek and especially love Russian opera, not that I understand a word of what's being sung, but the music speaks volumes.

Custom Title
    I'd love for Alissa to have skated to Rhapsody in Blue. It is more powerful than the music she skates to yet "broad" enough to be in her comfort zone.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    I love all your musical suggestions Olympia. Sophie B. Hawkins has been a long time fave of mine. She made great alternative pop with lovely melodies. I think "As I Lay Me Down" would be a great song for many of the skating girls that will be around in the 2014-2015 season to skate to. It's not too adult/mature for them, since they're all so young (in fact, I forewent a bunch of potential songs because I didn't think there are any woman skaters adult enough for them). The song is a tribute to her deceased father. Ben E. King's "Stand by Me" is, of course, undeniable. Although it'd take a certain amount of gravitas to skate to. The pure bliss of the Flower Duet is probably an easier fit.

Here's a song that isn't necessarily a favorite (although I do like it), but mainly I'm aghast none of the junior ice dancing team skated to it in the recent season when hip-hop was one of the rhythm options:

Kanye West and Jay-Z - Paris (not the official video, but this one has even better production values, and is less likely to give people seizures). I mean seriously, how could they not skate to it? It's the only popular song in the last few decades that directly mentions figure skating, via samples of dialog from the film Blades of Glory. And ideally, a skater should be French, black and full of the proper swagger to skate to it. That means Florent Amodio, if he's still competing then.

Custom Title
    After gawking over Zijun Li's past program to Lee Holdridge's Scenes of Summer. I think Mirai could really do it justice. Though Tara Lipinski's should be mentioned (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEuQ2p8TM8Q), I don't love her programs cuts.

For Mirai's other program, I hope a rendition of Sorceror's Apprentice and Holst's Uranus maybe with exciting Bebe Liang choreo.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    This may be random, but I'd love to see Yuna skate to "Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy." It's not an easy piece to interpret, since it's soft and lyrical and graceful throughout, but Yuna is one of the few ladies who could pull it off with finesse.
    I think classical ballet would be the worst choice Yuna could make. Dynamic music is much more suited to how she moves. Les Mis was in the right direction even though it has been used so very much.

Quote Originally Posted by russell30 View Post
    That Music belongs to Maria Butyrskaya and Maria interpreted it so beautifully so I don't think Yu Na should skate to that
    Disagree Maria had the penultimate skate to Otonal but one of her better performances. Don't think it will do much for Yuna. Another Bond soundtrack would suit her-there are many, and it would make people connect with her snazzy winning SP in Vancouver. I think she should do another homage to Kwan. Aranjuez is over used but something Latin with strong melody and places for her giant jumps. I think Wilson likely has considered so much music for her. Someone wanted to see her do Carmen, but to me that would be like she was copying Debi and Witt. I wish I knew more music to suggest an LP that hasn't been done, but she needs fast paced dramatic music as she uses her arms and hands a lot, as they all do these days, to excess.

I trust Wilson will find her suitable music that has not been done to death. She really can't lose if she skates clean. But soft, slow, adagio type sequences will be rare. That just isn't her forte. It will be very exciting to see what all the top ladies choose for Olympic season. I am very interested to see what Caro chooses and Wagner. Also Akiko. Besides Mao, I think these ladies have the most tpo offer in interpretation, along with Osmond. She is such a fabulous skater/performer, I am hoping she has the programs of her young life. The Russian girls still leave me cold. I didn't really like any program that much last year. I hope the performance side catches up to the technique with the top girls. Liza already has a distinct style, which some find very overdone. I hope she is able to pull together good music, choreo and costume. I really am not a fan of what I saw last season. Sadly, CoP does not lend itself always to beautiful programs. I am not looking forward to cookie cutter spins. Wagner and Caro and Akiko, along with Mao still manage to convey classic lines, detail and beauty in parts of their programs.

I find myself watching more 6.0 older programs. I really liked seeing slow sections, and beautiful spirals. Gee, skating has changed so much. I want to see someone sakte like Janet Lynn to Debussy. I guess that's over.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    This may be random, but I'd love to see Yuna skate to "Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy." It's not an easy piece to interpret, since it's soft and lyrical and graceful throughout, but Yuna is one of the few ladies who could pull it off with finesse.
    She could do this, but only if she used the Deviations Project version of it (Gracie Gold used it for her SP in Juniors) as it's clever and different in how it's constructed.

As it is, I wish someone WOULD use something else from Deviations Project. They have a piece called "Medication" which is their version of "Meditation" by Thais which I really think could be amazing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    For Mirai's other program, I hope a rendition of Sorceror's Apprentice and Holst's Uranus maybe with exciting Bebe Liang choreo.
    Which reminds me, back when she was 15 I wanted to see her skate a Goldilocks-themed program using Dvorak's Humoresque for the walking through the forest part. I figured it would have to be someone of that age and Mirai at 14 had the right sense of energy and mischief -- afterward there's too much pressure to prove one is "mature" and ready for seniors.

But all grown up now, it'd be great to see that side of her again, which your music suggestions could bring out.

Custom Title
    I'd love to see the Shibs skate to Simon & Garfunkel's Sound of Silence.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast