What humans will look like in 100,000 years | Golden Skate

What humans will look like in 100,000 years

Oboy. I'm glad I live here in the past.

Fascinating to hear that our skull shape has changed just in the last 500 years or so.

I doubt that the discussion of the golden ratio in that article takes into account the out-of-proportion eyes. Is anyone familiar with Egypto-Roman paintings of the second century or so? Classical Greek and Roman statuary kept the face in what they considered harmonious proportion (realistic in the case of Roman sculpture, idealized in the case of Greek), with no feature emphasized at the expense of another. By the second century in the southern Mediterranean, the faces showed the soul as well as the body, and they were noted for their large, liquid eyes. Classical proportions had gone bye-bye.

Natural selection has given us eyes that have at least some chance of protection by the shape of our skulls. Do you trust science to do as good a job? Not by the looks of it.

Roman statues (very realistic and humanistic)

https://www.google.com/search?q=sta...74&bih=691&facrc=0;roman statues head&imgrc=_

Greek statues (idealized)

https://www.google.com/search?q=sta...mages%2FRights-Managed%2FDAE-11051950;375;476

Egypto-Roman portraits

https://www.google.com/search?q=sta...2Fbook%2Fshow%2F2291816.Ancient_Faces;313;400

Johar

Medalist
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I doubt humans or earth are around in 100,000 years.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I doubt humans or earth are around in 100,000 years.

That was my 1st thought, too, Johar. Of course, if we have living descendents they may have moved to a different planet, in which case I like the look 20,000 years from now!;)

The interesting thing is that these changes will occur not by natural selection but by deliberate engineering.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This is an extremely ethnocentric "research" and projection by using a pair of specimens most of today's humans do not look like.

It took millions of years for humans to diversify into different races through slow migrations into different geographic regions, but we are on our way merging back into one human race, which I believe will happen in about 200 years. Maybe a projection from representations of such a race will more accurately portray the probable future appearances.

SF, you make a great point, and I actually remember a picture projection based on exactly that idea. For some reason, I think it may have been in Time Magazine. For myself, I hope that diversity remains, even after we move closer genetically to one another. I like it that we each bring something different to the dance.

Johar, I'm still giggling over the Bratz dolls comment.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Oof. Those eyes ARE quite unnerving. However, it's very interesting to know that we can scientifically predict we will towards "fundamentally" appealing traits based on the golden ratio. Makes me wish I'd chosen a different career path. :laugh:

SF, you make a great point, and I actually remember a picture projection based on exactly that idea. For some reason, I think it may have been in Time Magazine. For myself, I hope that diversity remains, even after we move closer genetically to one another. I like it that we each bring something different to the dance.

Here is the Time Magazine cover that merged different racial features into one person.

I agree, though. As beautiful as this lady is, I hope the future will have room for all different kinds of people, like now.

http://race.iheartsociology.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Time_Fall_1993-2.jpeg

That's the one, Math. Thanks! Glad my memory wasn't playing tricks. As for everyone ending up looking somewhat alike, I kind of prefer the Star Trek motto IDIC: infinite diversity in infinite combinations. I do hope that this is our future, not some homogeneous fabric with every thread the same.