Kim promises no regrets as Koreans gear up for Sochi | Golden Skate

Kim promises no regrets as Koreans gear up for Sochi

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SEOUL (Reuters) - Kim Yuna will not be around when the Winter Games come to Pyeongchang in 2018, but the South Korean figure skating queen has promised to give her all in the defense of her Olympic title in Sochi next year.

More

Yay!

Kim may not compete in Pyeongchang, but she will be all over the 2018 Games even so. Someone has to light the torch, right? ;)

Plus, she'll be schmoozing with heads of state, drumming up support for UNICEF. mentoring young athletes -- you name it. They will have to set up a special television network just for her public appearances -- all Yuna, all the time.

Last edited:
Yay!

Kim may not compete in Pyeongchang, but she will be all over the 2018 Games even so. Someone has to light the torch, right? ;)

Plus, she'll be schmoozing with heads of state, drumming up support for UNICEF. mentoring young athletes -- you name it. They will have to set up a special television network just for her public appearances -- all Yuna, all the time.

It couldn't happen to a better person, could it?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Mathman, there is a word in your post that is missing a letter ... and now it's a completely different word.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I think she will be back for Pyeongchang. It's possible she could win there too. She'll still only be 27 years old.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I'll be very surprised if she doesn't win this time around.

I can't wait to see Yuna as THE face of the 2018 Games.

Ven

Match Penalty
I think she will be back for Pyeongchang. It's possible she could win there too. She'll still only be 27 years old.

I don't think she will compete at Pyeongchang.

1) She has said she won't, and I believe her.

2) Why would she risk it? She would be at the very, very end of her career, risking losing in her own country. Why would anyone go up against that pressure?

Edit: by the way, I don't doubt Yuna could win. I'm just saying why would it even be worth the risk or worth dealing with the pressure?

venlac

On the Ice
I don't think she will compete at Pyeongchang.

1) She has said she won't, and I believe her.

2) Why would she risk it? She would be at the very, very end of her career, risking losing in her own country. Why would anyone go up against that pressure?

Edit: by the way, I don't doubt Yuna could win. I'm just saying why would it even be worth the risk or worth dealing with the pressure?
Dont you remember in 2010 worlds, korean fed did forced her to compete? 2014 World, even also 2018 Olympics, korean fed can do such a thing to her. I guess.
They always want a lot of things from her, even though there is not much what they did for her

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Dont you remember in 2010 worlds, korean fed did forced her to compete? 2014 World, even also 2018 Olympics, korean fed can do such a thing to her. I guess.
They always want a lot of things from her, even though there is not much what they did for her

I thought she'd said before the 2010 Olympics that she was going to compete at 2010 Worlds no matter the result she got at the Olympics.

Krislite

Medalist
I thought she'd said before the 2010 Olympics that she was going to compete at 2010 Worlds no matter the result she got at the Olympics.

She was "asked" to go to Worlds 2010 by the Korean Fed (for various reasons, including pressure from Cinquanta and for skipping 4CC before Vancouver).

venlac

On the Ice

Though herself, she didnt said about it or complaint, that is well-known fact due to several articles...
ETA:Sorry, rather than 'be forced', 'be pressured'

Moment

Final Flight

So true.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Though herself, she didnt said about it or complaint, that is well-known fact due to several articles...
ETA:Sorry, rather than 'be forced', 'be pressured'

Yikes. She and Park Tae Hwan seem to be on the same boat with their respective sporting Federations.

I think the same happened with Daisuke at 2010 Worlds and JSU, but it wasn't so bad for him. I guess he wasn't satisfied with his Olympic showing, and that's what made the difference.

MaureenKB

Rinkside
Yay!

And, she and Michelle will skate in the closing ceremony to "Hero".

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I'll be very surprised if she doesn't win this time around.

I can't wait to see Yuna as THE face of the 2018 Games.

Hopefully by then Korea will have another medal contender to cheer for. I really hope to see So-Youn Park or Hae-Jin Kim blossom into wonderful skaters and continue Yu-Na's legacy.

As for Yu-Na in 2018, I do think she'll be heavily involved in promoting the games so it will be nice to see her sticking so close to it. Maybe she'll get a position on one of the news networks as a special correspondent for the duration of the games? Either way, I know we'll see a lot of her.

As far as her competing, I don't think that will happen. She said she plans to make Sochi her last competition and I believe her. Not only that but by that time she will have done so much for her federation, I don't understand how they could possibly bring themselves to ask/force/pressure her to compete yet again. At some point enough is enough...

ForeverFish

Medalist
Hopefully by then Korea will have another medal contender to cheer for. I really hope to see So-Youn Park or Hae-Jin Kim blossom into wonderful skaters and continue Yu-Na's legacy.

As for Yu-Na in 2018, I do think she'll be heavily involved in promoting the games so it will be nice to see her sticking so close to it. Maybe she'll get a position on one of the news networks as a special correspondent for the duration of the games? Either way, I know we'll see a lot of her.

As far as her competing, I don't think that will happen. She said she plans to make Sochi her last competition and I believe her. Not only that but by that time she will have done so much for her federation, I don't understand how they could possibly bring themselves to ask/force/pressure her to compete yet again. At some point enough is enough...

By "this time around," I meant next year's Olympics -- 2014. I agree; I think she'll really be done after Sochi, and there isn't much more that the federation can reasonably ask of her.