Is this a flutz? | Golden Skate

Is this a flutz?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Eh...it'd be borderline...and I think she's definitely saved by the camera angle. If there was a front-on shot I'd imagine she'd be less lucky. I saw less called yesterday.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I paused it at 3:32 and it definitely looked inside to me. I think this would get an edge call by a tech panel with replay.

Moment

Final Flight
Looks like slight inside. A truly "flat" edge in a strict sense doesn't exist in reality.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One of these days, I want to see the judges climb down from their pedestals and go inspect the ice like they used to do in the Compulsory Figures.:laugh:

prettykeys

Medalist
It's a Flutz, Mathman.

The edge is not clear from this clip...but I took a screenshot of the moment she is leaving the ice. How can she possibly be on the outside edge with such a heavy inward lean? Ankles do not bend significantly from side to side unless they are broken.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2qtcsv8.jpg

I have previously shown the same thing using her 1998 FS Lutz takeoffs.

It's hard to get the exact camera angles to show the vertical axis of skaters doing proper 3Lutzes (off the outside edge), but here are two:

Miki Ando:
http://i42.tinypic.com/sm9kjp.jpg

Oksana Baiul:
http://i39.tinypic.com/mkafc9.jpg

Notice how the other two are much straighter and not leaning towards the inside, which makes sense. Taking off from the outside edge but having to rotate opposed to it is a balancing act.

Of course, if you are still skeptical, surely you wouldn't be so bold as to call Dick Button a liar ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfgjszz_Tk&t=3m44s

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Yes, it would receive the "e", today... It looks similar to Akiko's lutz to me, with the change of edge at the last second...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That was certainly a flutz. The fact that Dick Button even pointed out that it was the slightest of inside edges means it was a definite flutz. Often when a commentator says "a slight under rotation" or a "bit of a flutz" or a "slight touchdown", they're understating the severity of the mistake, particularly if it's a skater they like.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Michelle never had a solid/deep outside edge in her lutz. It was a pushed outside edge (like someone said, very similar to Akiko's) that wasn't 100% to the inside but wasn't a solid outside either, so depending on the jump the call could go either way.

jaylee

Medalist
Michelle never had a solid/deep outside edge in her lutz. It was a pushed outside edge (like someone said, very similar to Akiko's) that wasn't 100% to the inside but wasn't a solid outside either, so depending on the jump the call could go either way.

Actually, Michelle did some really nice lutzes late in her career.

2005 Worlds SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=omqE0fv6VCk#t=259s

The lutz looks good to me--much better than in 1998.

British Eurosports also thought that it was much better there, referring to her history of taking off on an inside edge.

Oddly enough, her flip looks rather off an outside edge. I wonder if working on her lutz altered her flip.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
^^That is pretty good. :) I think the time she spent with Rafael really helped her jumps later in her career. He was known as a technical coach and judging by Michelle's jumps he did a good job...that's why I don't understand why Mao left him when she did.

Do any of Frank Carroll's students have really deep lutz edges? I know Mirai had that same shallow outside edge lutz take off when she was with him.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Chris Bowman and Bebe Liang come to mind as people that have a more definitive 3Lz entry.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Do any of Frank Carroll's students have really deep lutz edges? I know Mirai had that same shallow outside edge lutz take off when she was with him.

It's interesting you bring that up, because he was a proponent of straight (as opposed on an edge) jump entrances. A lot of European skaters and some Americans (like Bobek) would enter a 3F on a curve, but his students never did. So I imagine it would be very difficult to get the deep edge lutz when you enter the jump in a straight line. However, I think it makes for a more consistent jump seeing how popular that straight entrance is now, and even Irina having more success with the lutz when she changed to her more like Kwan's.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Actually, Michelle did some really nice lutzes late in her career.

2005 Worlds SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=omqE0fv6VCk#t=259s

The lutz looks good to me--much better than in 1998.

British Eurosports also thought that it was much better there, referring to her history of taking off on an inside edge.

Oddly enough, her flip looks rather off an outside edge. I wonder if working on her lutz altered her flip.
That was actually a very good outside edge! Yes, that was a clean lutz...

mskater93

Record Breaker
On a related but not note, Frank Carroll also is a proponent of entering a camel spin in a more open square position instead of winding up and it's about using the skating knee action to create the spin. One of my coaches worked with him for a couple years and has recently changed my camel spin entry to this technique, and low and behold! I have a consistent camel spin that's pretty fast. :) Frank Carroll also did a camp in the Chicago area over the weekend and there was a ton of great things learned by the local (non-elite) skaters.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That was actually a very good outside edge! Yes, that was a clean lutz...

Michelle's jumps overall really improved under Artunian--way at the end of her career. She was really an amazing athlete who no doubt could have adapted to the stricter scrutiny under COP.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Michelle's jumps overall really improved under Artunian--way at the end of her career. She was really an amazing athlete who no doubt could have adapted to the stricter scrutiny under COP.

I agree, but I'm glad she skated during the period she did. COP would have sucked all the creativity and innovation out of her programs (COE spiral, spinning in different directions, etc.)