Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is this a flutz?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Do any of Frank Carroll's students have really deep lutz edges? I know Mirai had that same shallow outside edge lutz take off when she was with him.
    It's interesting you bring that up, because he was a proponent of straight (as opposed on an edge) jump entrances. A lot of European skaters and some Americans (like Bobek) would enter a 3F on a curve, but his students never did. So I imagine it would be very difficult to get the deep edge lutz when you enter the jump in a straight line. However, I think it makes for a more consistent jump seeing how popular that straight entrance is now, and even Irina having more success with the lutz when she changed to her more like Kwan's.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    Actually, Michelle did some really nice lutzes late in her career.

2005 Worlds SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...0fv6VCk#t=259s

The lutz looks good to me--much better than in 1998.

British Eurosports also thought that it was much better there, referring to her history of taking off on an inside edge.

Oddly enough, her flip looks rather off an outside edge. I wonder if working on her lutz altered her flip.
    That was actually a very good outside edge! Yes, that was a clean lutz...

On a related but not note, Frank Carroll also is a proponent of entering a camel spin in a more open square position instead of winding up and it's about using the skating knee action to create the spin. One of my coaches worked with him for a couple years and has recently changed my camel spin entry to this technique, and low and behold! I have a consistent camel spin that's pretty fast. Frank Carroll also did a camp in the Chicago area over the weekend and there was a ton of great things learned by the local (non-elite) skaters.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    That was actually a very good outside edge! Yes, that was a clean lutz...
    Michelle's jumps overall really improved under Artunian--way at the end of her career. She was really an amazing athlete who no doubt could have adapted to the stricter scrutiny under COP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Michelle's jumps overall really improved under Artunian--way at the end of her career. She was really an amazing athlete who no doubt could have adapted to the stricter scrutiny under COP.
    I agree, but I'm glad she skated during the period she did. COP would have sucked all the creativity and innovation out of her programs (COE spiral, spinning in different directions, etc.)

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I agree, but I'm glad she skated during the period she did. COP would have sucked all the creativity and innovation out of her programs (COE spiral, spinning in different directions, etc.)
    Amen! Preach!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2