Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Skate DownUnder 2013: Aug 20-22 [Sydney, NSW, Australia]

Custom Title
    Team event here we come!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_SKATES View Post
    I hope the event is still valid and that it is judged as an international, allowing skaters who earn the minimum TES to pre-qualify for Four Continents and Worlds.
    And JrWorlds also.
    It needs only to meet requrements to Officials (judges and Technical Panel).

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    If I were hosting an international event which is a first for Australia in some time, I'd be publicizing the heck out of it.
    BTW, Skate Down Under issued three media releases on Aug 13:

Each is on a separate page within the PDF above. Keep scrolling down to see all three.
    • TOP ICE DANCERS RETURN HOME FOR OLYMPIC WARM UP
    • OLYMPIC SKATING PEDIGREE BROTHER AND SISTER FIGHT IT OUT FOR A CHANCE TO REPRESENT AUSTRALIA
      Brendan Kerry (18) and Chantelle Kerry (17) from Sydney hope to follow in the footsteps of their mother, 1988 Winter Olympian, Monica MacDonald, but must fight off some tough competition.
    • AUSTRALIAN ICE SKATERS SEEK QUALIFICATION FOR SOCHI 2014
      NSW to Host International Competition - ‘Skate Down Under 2013’

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    BTW, Skate Down Under issued three media releases on Aug 13:

Each is on a separate page within the PDF above. Keep scrolling down to see all three.
    • TOP ICE DANCERS RETURN HOME FOR OLYMPIC WARM UP
    • OLYMPIC SKATING PEDIGREE BROTHER AND SISTER FIGHT IT OUT FOR A CHANCE TO REPRESENT AUSTRALIA
      Brendan Kerry (18) and Chantelle Kerry (17) from Sydney hope to follow in the footsteps of their mother, 1988 Winter Olympian, Monica MacDonald, but must fight off some tough competition.
    • AUSTRALIAN ICE SKATERS SEEK QUALIFICATION FOR SOCHI 2014
      NSW to Host International Competition - ‘Skate Down Under 2013’
    Thanks for these. It looks like they have a Twitter account set up for the event as well. I wonder if that means there will be a play by play.

#TeamAUS
    Skate Down under begins tomorrow!! I can't wait to here what happens!

Custom Title
    Must...go...to...sleep...and...not...bounce...all. ..night...with...excitement...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Must...go...to...sleep...and...not...bounce...all. ..night...with...excitement...
    Am very relieved to see karne's avator says 'offline'. Should be deep in her sweet dream by now.

To karne, GF2445 and those who plan to go and watch Skate DownUnder 2013 this week:
    Have a great time there! And we, all the rest of skating fans who can't go there this time unfortunately, are patiently waiting to hear from you guys for some report!
    If it's your first time to watch a competition live, you are gonna love it, I assure you! There is nothing like watching competitions LIVE. Don't miss even 6min warm-ups. You will be amaged how fast these elite skaters can skate. You will be fascinated how effortlessly they can change directions on the ice, how complicatedly their feet can do steps, or just hearing the beautiful sound of their baldes. You will be just blown away by the distance and height of their jumps. And at the end of 6min warm-ups, you will come to respect all these skaters more, regardless you like them or not, or whom you root for the most, and get addicted with this sport more than ever, I assure you! Enjoy!

Custom Title
    I won't be livetweeting, but I will be taking notes, which I will post here at the end of the day!

deedee1...I did get to sleep...eventually!

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Thanks for these. It looks like they have a Twitter account set up for the event as well. I wonder if that means there will be a play by play.
    I won't be livetweeting, but I will be taking notes, which I will post here at the end of the day!

deedee1...I did get to sleep...eventually!
    Yes, @IceSkatingAus is tweeting live updates.

karne, have a great time. (Love deedee's send-off message for you.)

Custom Title
    karne is going to run a nice hot bath and defrost, and then post her notes.

Custom Title
    Okay. Now karne has had a nice soak, it's notes time.

I missed notes on the Novice ladies because I was too excited and forgot and also too busy keeping an eye on the Novice lady I know.

So!

Novice Men

1st James Thompson (AUS) - 2F, 2A+, CSSp, StSq, CCoSp nice, 2Lz+, 29.93

2nd James Min (AUS) - faaabulous, reminds me of Jason Brown. 2Lz-2T(tano), 2A< 2ft, CSSp (fall), StSq wonderful, 2F<, CCoSp GREAT! 29.76

3rd William Badaoui (AUS) - 2Lz-2T, 1A, CCoSp wobbly, 2F, CSSp, StSq nice, 24.58

4th Guiseppe Triulcio (AUS) - 2F(tano) stepout, 2A 2ft, CCoSp, StSq, 2Lz-2T, CSSp

Junior Men

1st Charlton Doherty (AUS) - 2A, CCoSp, 2Lz-2T, FSSp, StSq, 2Lo, very tidy, 37.48

2nd Michael Durham (NZL) - 2Lz-2T, 2A 2ft (overrotated lol), CCoSp wobbly 2nd foot, 2Lo, StSq, FSSp nice, CCSp wobbly 2nd foot, much improved, 26.09

Disclaimer: I know very little about Dance and not very much about pairs, so what comes next is more a collection of feelings and impressions than any real technical insight, haha!

Junior Dance

1st Rhiarna Lagoutaris/Thomas Masters (AUS) - "No Speak Americano", fun, showy, lots of energy, but very sloppy, not great connection, 27.38

2nd Matilda Friend/Patrick Adderley (AUS) - Boppy, fun, good connection, fanTAStic twizzles, but quite slow, almost hesitant, 26.46

Junior Pairs

1st Marin Ono/Hon Lam To (HKG) - split 2Twist, SBS 2A very nice, good rotational hand-to-hand lift, Th2T, PCoSp, StSq, forward death sprial very nice, great program, very polished, 36.36

2nd Eliza Smyth/Jordan Dodds (AUS) - split 2Twist, she crashed the landing, rotational hand-to-hand life nice (lol Jordan is such a twig how is he doing this), SBS 2Lo she stepped out, backwards death spiral gorgeous, Th2T, StSq, PCoSp, beautiful program, 30.60

Senior Pair

1st Paris Stephens/Matthew Dodds (AUS) - split 2Twist, SBS 2Lz she put a hand down, backwards death spiral YIKES SHE'S LOST IT but he hauls her back, Th1Lo (popped), hand to hand rotational lift good positions, PCoSp nice, StSq, 26.24 and karne now understands why the death spiral is called the death spiral and also has a new appreciation for Matthew Dodds' strength.

Junior Ladies

1st Kailai Craine (AUS) - 3S<-2T, 3Lo<, FSSp WITH AN AMAZING LOOP ENTRY HOWWWWW, StSq, CCoSp, 2A, LSp++!, girl brought it, 41.53

2nd Renee Hambly (AUS) - LADY GAGA! - 2A++ AMAZING!!!!!, 2Lz-turn-2T, LSp just ok, 2Lo, FSSp, CCoSp, StSq, great animation, incredible jumps (lots of power), 35.84

3rd Taylor Dean (AUS) - Once Upon a December, very pretty dress! - 2A<<, FSSp, LSp+, StSq, 2Lz-2T, 2Lo, CCoSp+, lovely program, 34.98

4th Yancey Chan (AUS) - 1A (oops), StSq, 2Lz-2T, CCoSp+, Rippon 2Lo (could have been 3Lo, not sure)+, LSp+, fantastic, 33.00

5th Tiffany Lau (HKG) - FSSp, 1A, LSp nice, StSq, 2Lo+, 2F-1T oops, CCoSp, very polished, lovely, 32.98

6th Marin Ono (HKG) - 2Lo<, 3S<<, FSSp, StSq, CCoSp, 2A<, LSp+, very nice, a bit lacking in power, 32.75

7th Kristen Secola (AUS) - 2A<, 2F-1T, FSSp, 2Lo+, LSp++, StSq, CCoSp+, great spins, 32.07

8th Madelaine Parker (NZL) - 2A fall, FSSp+, 2Lz< fall, 2Lo+, CCoSp erk not so great, StSq, LSp travelling, please don't cry you weren't that bad, 30.14

9th Tracey Danbrook (NZL) - 2Lz-2T<<, LSp+, Axel fall er idk what happened there but she's wiped out, FSSp wobbly, StSq with stumble, uhoh, fullstop, what's happened here? Music's stuffing up. Continue - 2Lo lovely, CCoSp, please don't cry, 28.10

10th Sarah MacGibbon (NZL) - 2Lo, 2F<-turn-2T<, 2A<<, CCoSp very wobbly in Y position, StSq, FSSp, LSp started nice then overbalanced, good fight, 26.31

11th Kirsten Hargreaves (AUS) - 2F< fall, LSp slow, 1A, FSSp, StSq, 2Lo nice, CCoSp, 26.18

12th Tahli Gill (AUS) - CCoSp very nice, 2Lo(tano), StSq, 2A stepout, LSp yuck, 2Lz-2T< fall, another spin I missed, this dress is not good. 25.93

13th Joanna So (HKG) - 3S<-2T<, random fall, 1A<<, FSSp touched down, 2Lo+, StSq, LSp++, CCoSp+, gorgeous spins, shame about the jumps, 25.82

14th Yi Ching NG (SIN) - 2Lz<<, LSp+, 2A<<, CCoSp, StSq, 2Lo (tano), FSSp, good fight, kept fighting for it, 23.82

15th Serena Xu (AUS) - 2A< fall, CCoSp, 2Lz< fall, FSSp+, StSq, 2Lo turn out, LSp all over the place, nice in places, 23.24

Okay. So that's today's competition.

Custom Title
    Junior Ladies

1st Kailai Craine (AUS) - 3S<-2T, 3Lo<, FSSp WITH AN AMAZING LOOP ENTRY HOWWWWW, StSq, CCoSp, 2A, LSp++!, girl brought it, 41.53
    Protocols say 3S<<+2T< instead of 3S<-2T, see http://isa.org.au/Results/SDU2013/SD..._SP_Scores.pdf

Custom Title
    http://isa.org.au/Results/SDU2013/index.htm
    Live (really live) results and protocols.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post
    Protocols say 3S<<+2T< instead of 3S<-2T, see http://isa.org.au/Results/SDU2013/SD..._SP_Scores.pdf
    Thanks, I gave her the benefit of the doubt, but obviously the replay showed otherwise.

These are just notes I made observing, they're not hard-and-fast results.

Custom Title
    I saw a quad! I saw a quad! My very first ever live quad!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast