Advice on the "flat-footed" Axel | Golden Skate

Advice on the "flat-footed" Axel

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
I keep flat footing my axel! I don't have this problem on any other single jumps, or my under rotated double loop. I don't feel scared to do the axel at all, and it's rotated to my knowledge, but I just can't get rid of this bad habit!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to avoid flat footing?
Thank you in advance :)

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Try concentrating on pointing your toes in the air. You could also try leading with the top of your free foot as you kick it through instead of the toe. Think of reaching your toes to the ice. Take the landing as opposed to letting the ice come up to you. There is also a possibility that you don't have enough height and are therefore flat footing the landing because you don't have the time to fully extend the foot. It makes sense that the other singles aren't a problem. The axel is much more similar to a double than a single and a 2L without the toe pointed rarely works.

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
Thank you again for your help I tried that and it really did help. I now land them on my toe, however, they're really 'hoppy' if you know what I mean? I land on the toe but it's not a smooth landing, I hop around loads and often nearly fall over! But I'm pleased the flat footing has stopped as it really hurt my back.

I was thinking that I perhaps need more height or maybe just practice!

Thank you in advance :)

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
Thank you, I went this morning & the more I practiced the better I felt the landing was. More speed and height also helped.

Thank you so much for your help, I'm so grateful :)