Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Skaters' commercial endorsements for the Sochi Olympics

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    so Tuk for Samsung , does that mean she's a lock for Russian team ?

hatefor that to happen if she cant fix bombing her SP and her alarming weight issues.
    Yawn, yawn, yawn, you're at it again. Liza does NOT have "alarming weight issues". She developed CURVES. You know, something that happens to EVERY SINGLE TEENAGE GIRL EVER.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Yawn, yawn, yawn, you're at it again. Liza does NOT have "alarming weight issues". She developed CURVES. You know, something that happens to EVERY SINGLE TEENAGE GIRL EVER.
    I wouldn't bother trying, honestly. sky_fly20 has been endlessly criticizing Liza's weight since Worlds, despite the repeated attempts of myself and many other posters to correct his/her knowledge about human biology (which I, and probably others, have actually studied). I can think of three possible explanations:

1. He has never been/will never be a teenage girl.
    2. She is not yet a teenage girl.
    3. She has forgotten what it was like to be a teenage girl.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Sincere question (not intended to sound snarky):
    - Is this sentence based on comments that came directly from Yamaguchi's own mouth -- at least the part about continuing to skate as an amateur?
    - Or is it your opinion, SB?
    You are entitled to any opinion, of course. But I am curious whether Yamaguchi herself has said that under different circumstances, she might have continued to the 1994 Olympics. Thx.
    This was purely a guess on my part.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Small new (Jun 27) -- but news-free -- item re Tuktamysheva and Samsung.
    [INDENT][url]http://www.olympic.org/news/russian-winter-yog-champion-elizaveta-tuktamisheva-selected-as-a-global-athlete-ambassador-for-sochi-2014/201907[/url][/INDENT]

Not surprisingly, it is written as if Tuktamysheva definitely will qualify for Sochi.
    [INDENT]"Elizaveta has a promising career ahead, and is certainly one to watch as she makes her Olympic Games debut in Sochi in February."[/INDENT]

[INDENT]ETA:
    [INDENT]I did not mean that Samsung has control over selection of Team Russia's Olympic competitors. I meant only that the item on the Olympic website (understandably) referred to Tuktamysheva in the most optimistic way -- making the assumption that she will compete in Sochi.[/INDENT][/INDENT]

~~~~~~~~

Also:
    Belated thanks to Serious Business and Mathman for their replies about Yamaguchi.

Volosozhar and Trankov have been added to the Samsung Galaxy Team, along with some Russian athletes from other winter sports.
    [INDENT][url]http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/10987.html[/url] (Aug 1)[/INDENT]

Banned
    Small new (Jun 27) -- but news-free -- item re Tuktamysheva and Samsung.
    [INDENT][url]http://www.olympic.org/news/russian-winter-yog-champion-elizaveta-tuktamisheva-selected-as-a-global-athlete-ambassador-for-sochi-2014/201907[/url][/INDENT]

Not surprisingly, it is written as if Tuktamysheva definitely will qualify for Sochi.
    [INDENT]"Elizaveta has a promising career ahead, and is certainly one to watch as she makes her Olympic Games debut in Sochi in February."[/INDENT]

~~~~~~~~

Also:
    Belated thanks to Serious Business and Mathman for their replies about Yamaguchi.
    this is kind of unfair, she makes the Olympic team because of a Samsung sponsorship ?
    what if Tuk has a horrible season ?, if Julia and Adelina does better than her then she should be left out

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    this is kind of unfair, she makes the Olympic team because of a Samsung sponsorship ?
    what if Tuk has a horrible season ?, if Julia and Adelina does better than her then she should be left out
    Sorry, I will go back and edit my post above.
    I did not mean to suggest that Tuktamysheva will automatically qualify for Sochi because of her Samsung sponsorship.
    What I meant only is that the item on the Olympic website (understandably) referred to her in the most optimistic way -- making the assumption that she will compete in Sochi. I made note of that because IMHO it will be a little bit awkward for the Samsung marketers if she ends up not qualifying for Sochi. Although Samsung has no control over selection of Team Russia's Olympic competitors, it must have felt reasonably confident that she will be a member.
    aftertherain mentioned much earlier in this thread (post #5) that Coca-Cola lost a similar "gamble" that was part of its marketing campaign tied to Vancouver 2010. Among the Olympic hopefuls that Coke had chosen to showcase were the American pair McLaughlin/Brubaker ... who, to everyone's surprise, did not qualify for Vancouver.
    [INDENT][url]http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?41119-Kwan-Lysacek-get-Coca-Cola-endorsement-Tukt-is-tapped-for-Samsung&p=745540&viewfull=1#post745540[/url][/INDENT]

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Why wouldn't Coke go for a young, bubbly, handsome, smiley young man like Max Aaron? Reigning National Champion? Hello? Anybody? ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    I don't care for Max Aaron's skating style one bit... but I agree he'd be a good bet for Coke to sponsor. From my research, he's not getting sponsored by anybody else. ... Internationally, he's the highest ranked US male. He's had respectable results outside the US, and of course he is the reigning US champ. If they have to bet on someone to make the Olympic team, it'd be him. He has a pretty good chance of medaling in Sochi, too... in the team competition. Yeah, sure, individually, he's not even going to sniff that podium. But if they can give John "Floppy Giraffe" Isner a sponsorship, why not Aaron?
    Quote Originally Posted by w_darling View Post
    .... In the case that Meryl and Charlie's previous endorsement contracts preclude them from signing with Coke, I still think it would have been smarter in the long run to have chosen one of the younger, up-and-coming skaters such as Max Aaron. Even if the U.S. men's field doesn't have many sure bets this coming year, it's unlikely that Evan's competitive career will go much further whereas the younger skaters will still be around for the next Olympic cycle (besides, I get the feeling that Max is probably going to be on the team for 2014 anyway, particularly in this quad-emphasized era). Just for an example, if Coke played up Max Aaron's Nationals-winning Tron/Daft Punk program (which apparently already has a small tumblr fandom and tumblr already skews young demographically, something of interest to all corporations), I feel like Max would be just as marketable as Evan, if not more so.
    Wishful thinking that the marketing team for Dr. Pepper will see this photo of Max Aaron, which would be pretty difficult to resist, IMHO.

[INDENT]Michael Buckley ‏@buckhollywood
    [INDENT]Hey drpepper - here is your next #OneOfAKindSkater - US Champ @maxtaaron! [URL="http://instagram.com/p/cZSwvXuKET/"]http://instagram.com/p/cZSwvXuKET/ [/URL]
    8:31 AM - 30 Jul 13
    [url]https://twitter.com/buckhollywood/status/362234095436181505[/url][/INDENT][/INDENT]

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Congratulations to Liza! What a great way to start the Olympic season. Even though I don't live in Russia, I'm sure someone here will post pictures/videos of her Samsung endorsement. I agree wholeheartedly with karne -- who better to promote cutting-edge technology than a young, fresh-faced, talented athlete? ...
    liza ‏@Tyktamisheva
    [INDENT]Это Samsung GALAXY Team. Со мной в команде еще 9 спортcменов, вместе мы расскажем болельщикам о подготовке к Играм. [URL="pic.twitter.com/4od3GQIp0A"]pic.twitter.com/4od3GQIp0A[/URL]
    12:26 AM - 7 Aug 13
    [url]https://twitter.com/Tyktamisheva/statuses/365011144055865344[/url][/INDENT]

Nice photo showcasing both the phone and LT.
    Rough translation (I think??) of her tweet: This is the Samsung Galaxy Team. Nine more athletes are on the team with me. Together we are telling fans about preparation for The Games.

BTW, Volosozhar/Trankov recently tweeted their regrets that they could not attend the official announcement of the new group of Samsung athletes (to which they belong). Trankov tweeted "class photos" of the new group anyway, LOL.

Hmmmm .... @AshWagner2010 has a new sponsor: BP -- as in British Petroleum.
    [INDENT]So proud to be a part of @BPTeamUSA! Working with other talented Olympic athletes is such an honor!
    9:10 AM - 9 Sep 13
    [url]https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/statuses/377101707526029312[/url][/INDENT]

Hmmmm .... @AshWagner2010 has a new sponsor: BP -- as in British Petroleum.
    [INDENT]So proud to be a part of @BPTeamUSA! Working with other talented Olympic athletes is such an honor!
    9:10 AM - 9 Sep 13
    [url]https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/statuses/377101707526029312[/url][/INDENT]
    I think it's only unusual because the B stands for British. But other than that, it's not so unusual. Many athletes are sponsored by multinational corporations. Tuktamysheva is sponsered by Samsung, which is a Korean company. Yuna was once sponsored by Nike, an American company. Mao is sponsored by Nestlé, a Swiss company and was once sponsored by Coca-Cola, an American company.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    I think it's only unusual because the B stands for British. But other than that, it's not so unusual. Many athletes are sponsored by multinational corporations. Tuktamysheva is sponsered by Samsung, which is a Korean company. Yuna was once sponsored by Nike, an American company. Mao is sponsored by Nestlé, a Swiss company and was once sponsored by Coca-Cola, an American company.
    The issue is not the nationality; it's the BP, the one responsible for the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil leak in Gulf of Mexico - the largest environmental single damage in the century next to the Fukushima nuclear plant failure.

I'm glad she's got some sponsorship, but kinda sad to be glad over this one, too. :(

Quote Originally Posted by bebevia View Post
    The issue is not the nationality; it's the BP, the one responsible for the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil leak in Gulf of Mexico - the largest environmental single damage in the century next to the Fukushima nuclear plant failure.

I'm glad she's got some sponsorship, but kinda sad to be glad over this one, too. :(
    RIGHT. I can't believe I forgot about that.

Custom Title
    It is looking like a very few will get the spoils of the sponsorships. Corporates seem to be more and more skittish about committing ahead of the Games on anyone other than what they perceive to be a "sure thing." That said, I don't see the corporates having that much sway once the music plays and the skating starts. The "chosen" ones will still need to deliver. Evidence of the dilemma the corporates face was perhaps most explicit with Coca Cola during the last Olympics. Their "6-pack" marketing plan didn't even get to kick off when all 6 athletes chosen did not make the team.

Quote Originally Posted by bebevia View Post

Given how expensive FS is and since it's not like American companies are clamoring to sponsor her, I don't think she can afford to be choosy/picky. I'm glad that she got sponsors to help defray the cost of preparing for Sochi. I'm sure not having to worry about money is a big relief to her (and to any athletes.)

@EvanLysacek
    [INDENT]I am thrilled to be a part of Team Citi, and I look forward to sharing more information about my involvement in the ESOTW program soon.
    4:20 PM - 21 Sep 13
    [url]https://twitter.com/EvanLysacek/statuses/381558675493490688[/url][/INDENT]

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast