Skaters' commercial endorsements for the Sochi Olympics | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Skaters' commercial endorsements for the Sochi Olympics

bebevia

On the Ice
I think it's only unusual because the B stands for British. But other than that, it's not so unusual. Many athletes are sponsored by multinational corporations. Tuktamysheva is sponsered by Samsung, which is a Korean company. Yuna was once sponsored by Nike, an American company. Mao is sponsored by Nestlé, a Swiss company and was once sponsored by Coca-Cola, an American company.
The issue is not the nationality; it's the BP, the one responsible for the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil leak in Gulf of Mexico - the largest environmental single damage in the century next to the Fukushima nuclear plant failure.

I'm glad she's got some sponsorship, but kinda sad to be glad over this one, too. :(

aftertherain

Record Breaker
The issue is not the nationality; it's the BP, the one responsible for the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil leak in Gulf of Mexico - the largest environmental single damage in the century next to the Fukushima nuclear plant failure.

I'm glad she's got some sponsorship, but kinda sad to be glad over this one, too. :(

RIGHT. I can't believe I forgot about that. :bang:

lcd

Match Penalty
It is looking like a very few will get the spoils of the sponsorships. Corporates seem to be more and more skittish about committing ahead of the Games on anyone other than what they perceive to be a "sure thing." That said, I don't see the corporates having that much sway once the music plays and the skating starts. The "chosen" ones will still need to deliver. Evidence of the dilemma the corporates face was perhaps most explicit with Coca Cola during the last Olympics. Their "6-pack" marketing plan didn't even get to kick off when all 6 athletes chosen did not make the team.

Nadia01

Final Flight

Given how expensive FS is and since it's not like American companies are clamoring to sponsor her, I don't think she can afford to be choosy/picky. I'm glad that she got sponsors to help defray the cost of preparing for Sochi. I'm sure not having to worry about money is a big relief to her (and to any athletes.)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max Aaron's new sponsor = Liberty Mutual Insurance

Congratulations to MaxTAstic!

He is the only figure skater among the thirteen newly-announced Team Liberty Mutual athletes whom the company will support for the 2014 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.
Team Liberty Mutual will assist the insurer in their new marketing campaign, which celebrates human persistence, highlights what is possible with the support of others, and showcases the determination in all who face a setback to come back and “Rise.”

ETA:
@MaxTAaron
It’s official – on the #roadtosochi with #TeamLM. Thanks to sponsor @LibertyMutual for helping me #RISE up. pic.twitter.com/xrUkbQUJAc
9:09 AM - 26 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/MaxTAaron/status/383261998273675264

ETA, thanks to the mod (whoever s/he was) for deciding to change the title of this thread to include all skaters. :bow: :thumbsup:​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Lysacek and his mother appeared on the Today show on NBC this morning for a very brief segment regarding P & G's "Thank You, Mom" campaign recognizing mothers of athletes.
In the few words that EL was given a chance to say, he made references both to winning in Vancouver AND to looking forward to Sochi.

They were part of a group that included also Julie Chu, Lindsey Vonn, a male Paralympian (whose name I did not catch, sorry) + their mothers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, tomorrow more Sochi hopefuls will be on the Today show ... marking the celebration in Times Square of the official 100-day Countdown to Sochi. (Matt Lauer gave a general tease for tomorrow, without mentioning athletes by name.)

ETA, I now see that that Davis/White will be on Today tomorrow -- meeting their NYC class from Classroom Champs, per Davis' tweet:

And ... a media conference call today will feature Davis/White (as well as a Sochi skiing hopeful) -- to promote tomorrow's countdown celebration in Times Square,

According to the original announcement, EL also will participate in the Times Square celebration.

lcd

Match Penalty
All the same cluster of relatively few sure thing athletes are getting 95% of the sponsorships. Wonder how Julie Chu's teammates feel about her getting singled out so often and earning the sponsorships as an individual, in a team sport?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
All the same cluster of relatively few sure thing athletes are getting 95% of the sponsorships. Wonder how Julie Chu's teammates feel about her getting singled out so often and earning the sponsorships as an individual, in a team sport?

I hope that Chu's teammates feel fortunate and inspired to have such an accomplished leader with such deep experience among them.

But I take your point about some athletes having multiple sponsorships, while others have none. Figure skating certainly is an example of this pattern.

ranjake

Final Flight
Sorry if this was already posted; today on my facebook Ashley announced she's part of the 'Covergirl' thanks, Mom' team ? There's a team photo with lots of athletes and a pretty, 'easy/breezy' modeling-type photo of Ashley.

eta: This sounds like part of Evan's P&G campaign; mentioned up thread.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Elena Ilinykh's Pantene P&G Commercial: thank you MoM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCEt-ZSxGBE

poor Nikita, he's cut off in the videos, lol
I like their programs this season, lovely lifts , they are inconsistent but if they can clean up their act
they can win the bronze or even silver in the Olympics

Nigel

On the Ice
It is interesting combination of athletes that have been selected by the larger corporate sponsors. It is refreshing to hear stories behind lesser known skaters, especially those perhaps not as well known in North America. What is alittle surprising, esp for the US skaters, is how many are represented by just a few PR or management agencies that seemingly have come up with the more financially lucrative and/or more public promotions....IMG ( Yamaguichi, Davis and White, Gold, Wagner); Goldberg (Lysacek, Kwan)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sorry if this was already posted; today on my facebook Ashley announced she's part of the 'Covergirl' thanks, Mom' team ? There's a team photo with lots of athletes and a pretty, 'easy/breezy' modeling-type photo of Ashley.

eta: This sounds like part of Evan's P&G campaign; mentioned up thread.

Thanks, ranjake. :)

True that the P & G "Thank you, Mom" :bow: recognition includes many athletes -- such as many skaters.
I hope that my post above did not seem as if I were trying to single out Lysacek and his mother as superior in this regard. Only a very small subgroup appeared on the Today show yesterday.

Two of many other examples:
The Virtue/Moir thread in GS Fan Fests has a link to a great P & G video featuring Mrs. Moir and Mrs. Virtue along with V/M.

I believe that the P & G recognition has been ongoing over several Olympic cycles. Seem to recall a Rachael Flatt video for her mother, among others.

Wonderful to see all the tributes to the mothers. Hope that the many dedicated fathers out there -- who also devote their time, energy, money, and LOVE to their athletes -- do not feel left out.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Meryl & Charlie are part of Ralph Lauren's endorsement team (which has a lot of other winter Olympians as well).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Meryl & Charlie are part of Ralph Lauren's endorsement team (which has a lot of other winter Olympians as well).

I don't know if it was by plan or what, but Meryl seems to take the job seriously. On the Today Show she was the only one of Team USA's potential members to actually know about the product they were selling and how people could purchase some swag of their own. She didn't sound scripted, so I assume she actually did her homework/paid attention to the pep talk they were all no doubt given.

The one who DID seem scripted was Sarah Hughes, but that was to be expected as she was supposed to be the figure head for the segment.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't know if it was by plan or what, but Meryl seems to take the job seriously. On the Today Show she was the only one of Team USA's potential members to actually know about the product they were selling and how people could purchase some swag of their own. She didn't sound scripted, so I assume she actually did her homework/paid attention to the pep talk they were all no doubt given.

The one who DID seem scripted was Sarah Hughes, but that was to be expected as she was supposed to be the figure head for the segment.

I would bet money that Davis was designated in advance as the spokesathlete to give the outright plug for the Lauren line -- i.e., in other words, I firmly believe that both the Today show anchors and she knew that she would be speaking. (And that White, for example, would not. His "job" was to look like the wholesome "nice guy" who he really is.)

I also would bet money that the Lauren team gave Davis a script and/or professionally prepared talking points to make her role as foolproof as possible.

If anything, perhaps Davis (to her credit) was chosen for that responsibility because she seemed the most capable of a smooth and seemingly natural delivery.