Skaters' commercial endorsements for the Sochi Olympics | Golden Skate

Skaters' commercial endorsements for the Sochi Olympics

Crystallize

On the Ice
Yeesh, couldn't they have signed on at least one skater who's actually going to compete in Sochi? :eek:hwell:

I agree. I was wondering why Kellogg's signed on Kristi Yamaguchi a few months ago. No offense to any of these skaters though. I just think it would be an excellent marketing opportunity to use current competitive skaters. The only reason I can think of is that they benefit from using more familiar faces, but figure skating in the U.S. could really use the boost right now. I think Gracie Gold would be marketable if they gave her the chance!

SkateFan66

On the Ice
I agree. I was wondering why Kellogg's signed on Kristi Yamaguchi a few months ago. No offense to any of these skaters though. I just think it would be an excellent marketing opportunity to use current competitive skaters. The only reason I can think of is that they benefit from using more familiar faces, but figure skating in the U.S. could really use the boost right now. I think Gracie Gold would be marketable if they gave her the chance!

In a statement released by Coke-Cola, this was the first time they decided to use a 'legend' athlete for the Olympic promotion. They stated that they would have more opportunity to have Kwan appear at some of the promotional events prior to the Olympics and at the games. They stated that the use of the other athletes would be limited at times because their focus was going to be making the Olympic team.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

In a statement released by Coke-Cola, this was the first time they decided to use a 'legend' athlete for the Olympic promotion. They stated that they would have more opportunity to have Kwan appear at some of the promotional events prior to the Olympics and at the games. They stated that the use of the other athletes would be limited at times because their focus was going to be making the Olympic team.

I also think they don't want the same thing that happened with McLaughlin/Brubaker to happen again. The were the two-National champions in 2008 and 2009, so Coca-Cola decided it was safe to endorse them for the Olympic year and made advertisements featuring them. However, when 2010 Nationals came around, they didn't even podium, so Coca-Cola couldn't really feature athletes that hadn't made the Olympic team.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I am glad for Evan cause I don't think he had any endorsements really after Vancouver, and not many pro opportunities outside a few Asian shows. I too wish it were a current female who needs the money like Wagner or Gold to pay their huge expenses. No offense to MK's marketability but she is a millionaire many times over and it is just rotten the marketers won't promote the eligible who need it bad. Even WC Chan says pretty much all that comes in goes right out. MK had so many gigs as an eligible. The rich get richer. If she were still skating as a pro it might make more sense. We the ubers remaining on the boards will never forget her, but the general public likely has. Agree with Serious Business. Sheesh, let some current skaters catch a break!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The rich get richer.

In this case it is actually deserved.

None of the new-age competitors have captured the hearts of the public. They don't create the magic Michelle did.

It's unfortunate that most competitors are so unaware of what choreography and interpretation really are. They are too busy chasing the points.

jaylee

Medalist
Coca Cola has been a longtime sponsor of Michelle. They're also a sponsor for the Special Olympics, which Michelle is an international board member of and a strong supporter of (she was recently there in South Korea at the 2013 Special Olympics). So, I don't see their inclusion of her in their promotion for the Sochi Olympics as unmerited or unusual.

Evan, though--he's done pretty much nothing this quad, and I didn't think his 2010 Olympic achievements were as noteworthy as other ones by other Americans. His chances of making the Olympic team are quite debatable. For the active, competing skaters, I wish Davis/White had gotten it.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
Coca Cola has been a longtime sponsor of Michelle. They're also a sponsor for the Special Olympics, which Michelle is an international board member of and a strong supporter of (she was recently there in South Korea at the 2013 Special Olympics). So, I don't see their inclusion of her in their promotion for the Sochi Olympics as unmerited or unusual.

Evan, though--he's done pretty much nothing this quad, and I didn't think his 2010 Olympic achievements were as noteworthy as other ones by other Americans. His chances of making the Olympic team are quite debatable. For the active, competing skaters, I wish Davis/White had gotten it.

Lysacek was one of the six athletes that Coca-Cola partnered with for the 2010 Olympics. Therefore, it is not surprising that they would partner with the reigning Olympic gold medalist for the 2014 Olympics. If Lysacek does not make the 2014 Olympic team, he will still have marketing appeal as an Olympic gold medalist (ex. Nastia L.)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yeesh, couldn't they have signed on at least one skater who's actually going to compete in Sochi? :eek:hwell:

That was my thinking too. Also, is it occurring to some people that fs is now likely to be having a lot of new fans who don't know who Michelle Kwan even was, let alone liked her, let alone adored her? They can't trade on her forever. This is part of FS's problem - dwelling far too much in the past.

Also, Lysacek?! REALLY? He's done absolutely nothing since Vancouver. They're going to look quite daft when the comeback doesn't even happen. Why not someone like Aaron - young and bright and bubbly and good-looking - or perhaps, D/W, with all their reams of success?

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Also, it should be noted that Coca-Cola normally sponsors at least six athletes for the Olympics, thus a six-pack. For the London games, they sponsored eight! This time, though, only 4. What, did they blow their budget in London? What gives, Coca-Cola? Do you not believe in America any more? Are our athletes no longer good enough to hawk your corrosive sugar drinks? #boycott #cokehatesamerica #americahatescoke

I wish Davis/White had gotten an endorsement too, but maybe they'll add other skaters in some way between now and Sochi. Michelle can be great publicity. Her presence says, "Hi, America, you remember how much you enjoyed skating when I was competing. Well, we still have skating! Why not tune in?"

As for whether Coca Cola is willing to risk using someone glamorous like Gold or Davis/White in ads, I think they should make the gamble. After all, Anna Kournikova was a glamor girl in many ads, and she never won a Grand Slam. I don't think any of her sponsors felt shortchanged.

heyang

Record Breaker
Realistically, the US's best shot at a figure skating medal in Sochi is in Ice Dance. So, I'm actually surprised that Davis/White weren't chosen as they are the silver medalists from 2010, as well as having been in tight competition with Virtue/Moir since before 2010.

I think it's too early to pick Gracie Gold. She hasn't won a senior national title nor medaled at World's. If she does well in Sochi and beyond, I could see her getting their sponsorship at that time.

3 of the 4 claim to want to try to compete in Sochi. So, they will need to train and compete while fulfilling their sponsorship responsibilities.

Vancouver 6 pack - included five-time Olympic medalist Apolo Anton Ohno (short track speed skating), Olympic silver medalist Gretchen Bleiler (snowboard), three-time Olympic medalist Angela Ruggiero (ice hockey), World Champion Evan Lysacek (figure skating) and two-time U.S. figure skating champions Keauna McLaughlin and Rockne Brubaker.

So, this is actually Evan's 2nd time.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
It's possible that Davis/White's deal with Kellogg's prevents them from making one with Coca-Cola. Otherwise, they're the surest medal bet the US has in not just figure skating, but all the sports that will compete in Sochi.

But then, why do the sponsored athletes have to be sure bets? Or ones who have already captured America's heart? Let's look at the 8 athletes Coke picked for London: Shawn Johnson, John Isner, Henry Cejudo, Jessica Long, David Boudia, Marlan Esparaza, Alex Morgan and David Oliver. Out of those, only Johnson could be considered a household name. Alex Morgan has an outside shot of looking sort of familiar to the average American. The rest of them are nobodies. Of the rest of them, the only one I know is John Isner, and that's because I follow tennis. And so I, or anyone who knows anything about tennis, could've told you that Isner was never getting his lanky self anywhere near a podium (and he didn't).

Part of how this works is that it doesn't matter what athletes are on the cans. It's about showing patriotism and support for some hardworking people taking part in one of the fairer contests you'll find in life. In fact, for most of the sponsored athletes, it is the sponsorship that helps get their life story out there, to get the American audience vested in them. For Coke, it is about getting the American audience to associate the company with patriotism and sportsmanship and not tooth decay. Sure, Coke gets its end of the bargain by going with Michelle Kwan (I'm a lot more skeptical of them going with Lysacek, who couldn't even beat a Pussycat Doll on Dancing with the Stars the year after he won the Olympics), it's the currently competing skaters (and athletes in other sports, too) who are missing out.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Also, I just noticed: Michelle Kwan's Coke promotion is in violent conflict with her membership in the President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition. :p

ForeverFish

Medalist
I am glad for Evan cause I don't think he had any endorsements really after Vancouver, and not many pro opportunities outside a few Asian shows. I too wish it were a current female who needs the money like Wagner or Gold to pay their huge expenses. No offense to MK's marketability but she is a millionaire many times over and it is just rotten the marketers won't promote the eligible who need it bad. Even WC Chan says pretty much all that comes in goes right out. MK had so many gigs as an eligible. The rich get richer. If she were still skating as a pro it might make more sense. We the ubers remaining on the boards will never forget her, but the general public likely has. Agree with Serious Business. Sheesh, let some current skaters catch a break!

Wagner and Gold both got sponsorships with Nike this season, which should help cover some of their costs. I expect more companies to jump on the bandwagon as the Olympics get closer.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wagner and Gold both got sponsorships with Nike this season, which should help cover some of their costs. I expect more companies to jump on the bandwagon as the Olympics get closer.

The ladies will never have a problem because the American attitude is that ONLY ladies can be superstars, thus, they attract most of the sponsorships.

But the men never seem to get anything. Why wouldn't Coke go for a young, bubbly, handsome, smiley young man like Max Aaron? Reigning National Champion? Hello? Anybody? Nope.