Skaters' commercial endorsements for the Sochi Olympics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skaters' commercial endorsements for the Sochi Olympics

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Here is the news release mentioned by SkateFan66 where Coca-Cola discusses its rationale for its choices. of athletes.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/06/12/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Coke-Sochi.aspx

Thanks for the link, Mathman. :)
(As an aside: It is not a news release from Coke. The author is a staff writer for Sports Business Daily. No reason to believe that the writer quoted the Coke executive inaccurately, but the article is not an official release directly from the horse's mouth. The MarketWatch link in your OP reprinted the official release, which also is on Coke's site: http://www.coca-colacompany.com/pre...ic-winter-games-with-coca-cola-on-iceand-snow )

Let's look at the 8 athletes Coke picked for London: Shawn Johnson, John Isner, Henry Cejudo, Jessica Long, David Boudia, Marlan Esparaza, Alex Morgan and David Oliver. Out of those, only Johnson could be considered a household name. ... The rest of them are nobodies. Of the rest of them, the only one I know is John Isner, and that's because I follow tennis. ...

(I'm a lot more skeptical of them going with Lysacek, who couldn't even beat a Pussycat Doll on Dancing with the Stars the year after he won the Olympics)

"Nobodies" is very much a case of YMMV. I do not consider myself a serious fan of tennis or diving, and I knew (long before the London Olympics) who Isner and Boudia are.
If they are "nobodies," then the unfortunate truth is that Davis/White are big ol' "nobodies" too -- outside of the worldwide skating community, for whom they obviously are deservedly popular.
(FWIW, I do not follow skiing, but I knew who Ligety is.)

As for Lysacek: I rarely watch DWTS, but I do not see any inherent shame in getting surpassed by a professional musical performer with a well-established fan base.

The ladies will never have a problem because the American attitude is that ONLY ladies can be superstars, thus, they attract most of the sponsorships.

But the men never seem to get anything. Why wouldn't Coke go for a young, bubbly, handsome, smiley young man like Max Aaron? Reigning National Champion? Hello? Anybody? Nope.

An American man, Lysacek, just got something very big: the Coke recognition.

That said, I agree that Aaron has all the qualities [esp. that great smile :)] that should be as attractive to a major sponsor as what an American lady can offer.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I am glad for Evan cause I don't think he had any endorsements really after Vancouver, and not many pro opportunities outside a few Asian shows. I too wish it were a current female who needs the money like Wagner or Gold to pay their huge expenses. No offense to MK's marketability but she is a millionaire many times over and it is just rotten the marketers won't promote the eligible who need it bad. Even WC Chan says pretty much all that comes in goes right out. MK had so many gigs as an eligible. The rich get richer. If she were still skating as a pro it might make more sense. We the ubers remaining on the boards will never forget her, but the general public likely has. Agree with Serious Business. Sheesh, let some current skaters catch a break!

In this case it is actually deserved.

None of the new-age competitors have captured the hearts of the public. They don't create the magic Michelle did.

It's unfortunate that most competitors are so unaware of what choreography and interpretation really are. They are too busy chasing the points.

What BoP said.

Sorry, it's not Coke's fault that no current US ladies can measure up. Just because Michelle is a "millionaire many times over" doesn't mean she's unworthy of the Coke sponsorship/endorsement.

It is not marketers' job to promote Ashley and Gracie. When A and G become a big star, Coke and others will follow.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
What BoP said.

Sorry, it's not Coke's fault that no current US ladies can measure up. Just because Michelle is a "millionaire many times over" doesn't mean she's unworthy of the Coke sponsorship/endorsement.

It is not marketers' job to promote Ashley and Gracie. When A and G become a big star, Coke and others will follow.

Agreed. Sponsors want somebody marketable and recognizable. Even though Michelle has been gone from skating since 2005 her name is still recognizable in the US. Unfortunately skating is nowhere near as popular in mainstream media as it was back during Michelle's time and the majority of that has to do with the US' inability to produce a world medalist (speaking in terms of the ladies). In truth, Davis and White would have been excellent choices; however, ice dance isn't nearly as popular as singles. I doubt if the average American can name any ice dance pair (past or present) off the top of their head. It's sad but it's true. And as for this current crop of ladies, I doubt if your average person on the street has any idea who Ashley Wagner or Gracie Gold is...but if you mention Michelle Kwan they probably don't know her medal count or statistics but (at the very least) most have heard of her. Throw in Michelle's long-standing relationship with Coke and it's no wonder they picked her. That's not to say Coke won't endorse Ashley, Gracie or another skater, but right now none of them have proven themselves enough...by Coke's standards anyway.

Using Evan is a bit of a no brainer as well. He's the current Olympic champ and gained additional public exposure on DWTS. No other US man has stood on the podium since he did back in 2009. Again, there's a lack of marketable/reliable skaters for such an endorsement. It makes sense to use Evan even if he doesn't happen to compete in Sochi.

Now is the time sponsors start scoping athletes. Nike has already tapped Ashley and Gracie. If they want more sponsors to jump on board they need to have a good season leading up to Sochi. Big companies won't give an endorsement to a skater who happens to be at the top of the mediocrity heap...they want a reliable, bankable and marketable star.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Evan is the reigning Olympic champion and will always carry the title of Olympic champion, he was a good choice. If they had to pick a "legend", why not a female skater who at least won the Olympic gold medal (Yamaguchi, Hamill, Fleming or Lipinski)?

venlac

On the Ice
If they had to pick a "legend", why not a female skater who at least won the Olympic gold medal (Yamaguchi, Hamill, Fleming or Lipinski)?

since her great reputation... in figure skating, Unlike other sports, you can be a one of the legends without Olympic Gold medal

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Evan is the reigning Olympic champion and will always carry the title of Olympic champion, he was a good choice. If they had to pick a "legend", why not a female skater who at least won the Olympic gold medal (Yamaguchi, Hamill, Fleming or Lipinski)?

All of those ladies are Olympic champions but Michelle's status as most decorated US skater in history is what makes her a legend. Winning Olympic gold doesn't necessarily make you a legend in this sport. The sum of Michelle's career and the lasting impact she had on the sport was far greater than one medal. She's probably the most marketable non-Olympic champion in the history of figure skating.

Coca-Cola is one of the top companies in the world so you can bet they don't hand out endorsements to just anyone. Michelle has been partnered with Coke for years now. They know her very well, love her, and know that even though she's been gone from the sport for nearly a decade she is still a highly marketable commodity. The same cannot be said of the Olympic champions you named. If they were as marketable as or more marketable than Michelle Coke would have endorsed one of them. Simple as that. :)

MaureenKB

Rinkside
My feeling is that they picked Michelle for her legend status and also because of her post skating achievements. She is an amazing role model.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Well regarding some of your suggestions 60ish year old women dont exactly sell somewhat sexy products (Coke has always used younger and attractive people). Plus I hugely doubt Fleming or Hamil would have even an ounce of interest.

Lipinski was never really that popular, and is even more forgotten today. Yamaguchi is doing well already in endorsements for someone who is in her 40s, and doesnt even show skate anymore.

Matilda

Medalist
I really wish they had picked Meryl and Charlie instead. They already have Olympic silver, they are the reigning World Champions, and the most likely to medal--and very possibly win--in Sochi. The don't have the legendary status of Michelle, but from what I've talked to people outside the skating circles, Evan isn't any better known than Meryl and Charlie. However, Meryl and Charlie have a lot more charisma than Evan, who always seems--to me--quite wooden and expressionless in front of the media. If M & C's Kellog's deal prevents them from the Coke deal, then choose at least young, vibrant skaters who need the money more--Max, Gracie (or both--they are a couple after all), Jason... I think audiences would relate to their chase of an Olympic dream. Evan should be financially ok, what with the OGM, DWTS money, deal with a private jet line--and free costuming from Vera :p

Having said all that, I detest Coca Cola, and wish the Olympics had a sponsor one can actually associate with the idea of a healthy lifestyle :scowl:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I hear that, Matilda. Ashly Wagner and Gracie Gold, by the way, are already sponsored by Nike. That contract may preclude them from signing a deal with Coke. Not to mention, since they're actually competing, Ashley and Gracie may not want to drink any Coke. :p And Nike at least makes things for people to get healthy and active in. And kids get a great workout lifting the heavy boxes and operating the machinery in their factories! :biggrin:

Matilda

Medalist
And Nike at least makes things for people to get healthy and active in. And kids get a great workout lifting the heavy boxes and operating the machinery in their factories! :biggrin:

I know! How ironical is that? And sad. It's hard to avoid being complicit in unethical business practices--but at least Nike is linked with sports, soo...

So, if Ashley and Gracie are out as well, how about Max and Jason? Those two are quite adorable together anyway! ;)
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/992889_10152356999576953_1880793450_n.jpg

SkateFan66

On the Ice
From personal experience, I trained for three marathons, and numerous half-marathons, using a Coca-Cola product....Powerade. Not all Coca-Cola products are carbonated sugary beverages.;)

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Having said all that, I detest Coca Cola, and wish the Olympics had a sponsor one can actually associate with the idea of a healthy lifestyle :scowl:

Coca-Cola makes a lot of products, not just Coke and Diet Coke. They do make products for people who live a healthy lifestyle like Dansani, Minute Maid, Powerade and Vitamin Water...just to name a few.

That's not to say healthy lifestyle people don't drink soda...they just don't drink a 2-liter or 6-pack of soda a day. Everything in moderation children ;)

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I don't care for Max Aaron's skating style one bit... but I agree he'd be a good bet for Coke to sponsor. From my research, he's not getting sponsored by anybody else. *sadtrombone* Internationally, he's the highest ranked US male. He's had respectable results outside the US, and of course he is the reigning US champ. If they have to bet on someone to make the Olympic team, it'd be him. He has a pretty good chance of medaling in Sochi, too... in the team competition. :biggrin: Yeah, sure, individually, he's not even going to sniff that podium. But if they can give John "Floppy Giraffe" Isner a sponsorship, why not Aaron?

This sponsorship is specifically for Coke, the drink made from liquefied cigarette butts. The sponsored athletes will appear on cans and promote them. As for bottled tap water and salted sugar water they market like so much homeopathic nonsense, those sponsorships will go to some other schmucks.

Michelle is also known for showing up and taking part in things. I remember reading back in 1998 that she and her parents were very dutiful and responsible about that sort of thing. So she probably has a reputation for being dependable as well as for being legendary. Yamaguchi, Fleming, and Hamill are good choices, but Lipinski has been kind of out of the spotlight and largely uninvolved with skating almost from the day she won the OGM, and most people don't know her at all. The same goes for Hughes. Kwan has lived a life that is just public enough, but thankfully not notorious in any way.

This thread has detailed most of the reasons Kwan is ideal for the job, but that doesn't preclude Coca Cola's spotlighting other skating stars as well, of the past and of the present. I wish they'd take a chance on Meryl and Charlie, who have both hardware (from a long career, including an Olympic silver medal) and glamor. Using a pair is a tougher sell because lately we've had a constant stream of interchangeable pairs come and go, and none of them have much in the way of camera sparkle. Au contraire for Meryl and Charlie, who are photogenic, telegenic, and rather charismatic for skaters.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Wagner and Gold both got sponsorships with Nike this season, which should help cover some of their costs. I expect more companies to jump on the bandwagon as the Olympics get closer.

No more Lululemon wear for Gracie! LOL!:laugh: