Skaters' commercial endorsements for the Sochi Olympics | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Skaters' commercial endorsements for the Sochi Olympics

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
P&G has snatched up quite a few skaters to do this series... Ashley shot her ad this week. I believe D/W also have one coming up.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Is this ad primarily to be shown in the U.S.? It is dead easy to see why Procter and Gamble beauty products went with Elena. She looks like Miss America -- I mean, Miss Russia. The message: "If you buy Pantene shampoo you can look like this, too, and maybe win an Olympic medal like me." :)

Good question, Mathman.
When I saw the Virtue/Moir P & G video, I assumed that it would be shown only (or at least primarily) in Canada.
And when I saw the posts about P & G vids from the Japanese skaters, I assumed that they would be shown only/primarily in Japan.
But maybe I am wrong.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I am shocked they went with Evan. Evan is not guaranteed of going to the Olympics and men's figure skating is not a huge draw - using Ashley or Gracie makes more cents.

Not surprising at all, considering that in U.S. figure skating Evan is the only reigning Olympic champion. Ashley and Gracie don´t have major titles.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am shocked they went with Evan. Evan is not guaranteed of going to the Olympics and men's figure skating is not a huge draw - using Ashley or Gracie makes more cents.

Wagner's substantial list of endorsements seems to grow by the day. The same is true for Gold, who has yet to win a senior title.
No need whatsoever to shed any tears for them.

ETA, among their ample endorsements, each of the ladies has at least one overlapping with Lysacek's.
(Skater Boy's post refers to Lysacek's sponsorship from Team Citi.)​

Robeye

Final Flight
Wagner's substantial list of endorsements seems to grow by the day. The same is true for Gold, who has yet to win a senior title.
No need whatsoever to shed any tears for them.

ETA, among their ample endorsements, each of the ladies has at least one overlapping with Lysacek's.​
See, this is what I've always been saying. All this lamentation that America no longer has any use for ice queens is like the skating fans' version of hypochondria.

You think Ashley and Gracie are making decent bank now?

I still maintain that if a reasonably photo- and media-genic US ladies skater (and these two are good examples of those qualities) had, say, Yuna's skills and record, she might possibly make Sharapova look like a Welfare Queen.

You better believe that if Ashley or Gracie was demolishing the competition and gunning for her second OGM, that the US media and advertisers would be going utterly, joyously hog-wild. :cool:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Is this ad primarily to be shown in the U.S.? It is dead easy to see why Procter and Gamble beauty products went with Elena. She looks like Miss America -- I mean, Miss Russia. The message: "If you buy Pantene shampoo you can look like this, too, and maybe win an Olympic medal like me." :)

Upon further investigation:

Ilinykh; Lysacek; Leonova; Virtue/Moir; and Bobrova -- as well as other international athletes from other winter sports -- are mentioned in this P & G press release about the global Thank You, Mom campaign.

ETA, the P & G video with Virtue/Moir and their mothers:
Thanks to marikat, who originally posted the link in the V/M thread in Fan Fests.​

Still not clear to me whether ads showing foreign athletes will be shown in the U.S.​

P&G has snatched up quite a few skaters to do this series... Ashley shot her ad this week. I believe D/W also have one coming up.

A different press release focuses on the Team USA athletes involved in the campaign: Lysacek, Wagner, Davis/White, etc.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

its for international commercial ads to be aired, don't know if it includes the US
crazy though how someone with very little to no chance of going to Sochi gets a P&G endorsement, Lysacek ? , Leonova ? really

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The Kellogg's campaign with its Winter Olympians has started. For each "sharing" of links, Kelloggs will feed a child in need.

Here's the youtube link to a too cute for words Meryl & Charlie video. I didn't know that they competed at and won LPIDC in whatever their initial group was the first year they teamed up. There's video of their first day skating.

#GreatStartsMerylandCharlie

Here's Charlie's tweet about it

Hey- Don't forget to use the hashtag #GreatStartsMerylCharlie or watch our Start Story. Helps us feed kids in need! http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/teamusa.html

Here's where you can find the info on the Great Starts program

http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/teamusa.html#athletes

For Meryl and Charlie's stuff, click on them.

Even if you aren't a fan of Meryl & Charlie's, showing support for skaters may convince a few folks at Kelloggs that sponsoring skating programs is good advertising :)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Lysacek and his mother will be on Katie Couric's show tomorrow, Tue Nov 5 -- another appearance in connection with P & G's Thank You, Mom campaign.
(Vonn and Chu also will be guests.)

Not sure whether the following is possible NEWS? (Unrelated to Thank You, Mom, obviously.)

0:51 preview clip including Lysacek is embedded in this Couric show page. (Scroll down.)

Caption:
Did Olympic Figure Skater Evan Lysacek Live with Vera Wang?
Olympic champion figure skater debunks rumors that he was living with designer Vera Wang.

I know the rumor has been around for a long time now. Don't know whether Lysacek has spoken out before to debunk it. I have not watched the clip.​

ETA:

Lysacek and his mother appeared -- along with the other Olympians and moms -- within the first fifteen or twenty minutes of Couric's hour-long show. (She then moved on to an unrelated interview with actress Katey Sagal.)
Not surprisingly, the conversation involving Lysacek was absolutely news-free ... nothing at all about his injuries, recovery status, need for technical minimums, etc.
But it was a nice opportunity to pay tribute to his mother and the other moms.

Sorry, my reference to the online clip above re Vera Wang as a "preview" proved to be inaccurate; in other words, it did not air, AFAIK. Must have been left on the cutting room floor when all the raw studio footage was edited for televsion.​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
‏@DylanMoscovitch
A sneak peak at limited edition @CDNOlympicTeam @OREO cookies! #prideandjoy pic.twitter.com/IKXLy85fFZ
7:54 AM - 18 Nov 13
https://twitter.com/DylanMoscovitch/status/402464927513722880

Olympic marketing in Canada vs. the U.S. is the subject of this post.
Apologies that it is not about skaters' endorsements -- did not seem worth starting a new thread.

- The special Oreos with the @CDNOlympicTeam emblem are a really clever and well-executed idea. :cool: Almost everybody loves Oreos.
Does anyone know whether Nabisco will be selling American counterparts? (I'm pretty sure that the National Biscuit Co. originated in the U.S.)
Don't remember them from previous Olympic cycles. :think:

- Also ... as an American, I am mortified every time I see the "Go USA" mittens. Ripping off Canada's idea would be slightly more excusable if the American version were even half as attractive as any of the snazzy Canadian editions. But the American ones look so lame to me. Way too little, way too late, IMHO.
What do others think?​