Lysacek likely to enter U.S. Int'l in Salt Lake City, per Hersh (Jun 12) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Lysacek likely to enter U.S. Int'l in Salt Lake City, per Hersh (Jun 12)

ForeverFish

Medalist
It is a new World now. Most everyone agrees Evan even at his best does not have the skill set to compete with the current top men, let alone after years off and nearing 30. Thus it surprises no one that if his comeback is more a PR stunt than anything else, and a way to keep his name in the news. Who can blame him really, what former Olympic Champion wants to come back just to finish 2nd to 5th at Nationals or 9th to 12th at Worlds or Olympics (if he somehow makes it). Yet if he doesnt do something to keep his name in the news he would be forgotten before now. This is the best compromise to squeeze a few more years out of earning potential, before fading into obscurity. I dont fault him, he is being smart. I first thought he wasnt as he was sacrificing time on SOI, but that show blows and is almost dead now anyway so who cares.

Evan might have some injuries, frankly I dont really care either way, what active skater even a show level doesnt have some kind of injury. However most of us believe he was never going to compete regardless. That is what the "pull out with injury" joke came from the previous poster, not laughing at someone having an injury, but that whether he does or doesnt that is what is likely to occur.

Okay, maybe I misunderstood the meaning of the original post. That still doesn't mean it's reasonable to accuse an athlete of faking/exaggerating an injury simply because he/she doesn't want to compete (and WE DON'T KNOW Evan's true intentions at this point, so any speculation is just that -- speculation, and usually heavily biased at that).

Still, skaters have in part brought this suspicion upon themselves. It's called the Four Continents flu. ;) The ISU rules say you have to compete if tapped, so if a skater doesn't want to do it he comes up with a muscle sprain or something.

noskates

Record Breaker
For those who are interested in facts rather than someone's daydreams, Evan Lysacek is one DAY older than Jeremy Abbott.

Not sure that that fact is significant given that Jeremy hasn't taken 3 years off from competing.

I don't care how good a skater was in the past, what they DID in the past, or comparisons with other skaters IN THE PAST. It is extremely difficult for any skater to compete even on a national level that hasn't been competing all along. Whether it's injuries, fake or otherwise, or a vacation from determination and hard work, it's almost impossible to get back - particularly under the current judging system. I will be very surprised if Evan even competes at Nationals. If I'm wrong - more power to him!!!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Not sure that that fact is significant given that Jeremy hasn't taken 3 years off from competing.

I don't care how good a skater was in the past, what they DID in the past, or comparisons with other skaters IN THE PAST. It is extremely difficult for any skater to compete even on a national level that hasn't been competing all along. Whether it's injuries, fake or otherwise, or a vacation from determination and hard work, it's almost impossible to get back - particularly under the current judging system. I will be very surprised if Evan even competes at Nationals. If I'm wrong - more power to him!!!

It's significant due to the fact that a previous poster claimed Evan was 30 years old. My point being that he is 28 the same as Jeremy Abbott. And I agree that Evan has taken 3 years off & it won't be easy for him to come back. I am not comparing anything about his career to Jeremy's, only saying they are the same age. Todd Eldredge came back after a few years off to win the 2002 National championships, went to the Olympics & placed 6th at the games & I think he was 30 so that is a better comparison but its a moot point. We just have to wait & see what transpires for Evan between now & next January. He deserves as much consideration and respect as any other competitor IMO.