Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lysacek likely to enter U.S. Int'l in Salt Lake City, per Hersh (Jun 12)

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Still, there are 7 billion people on this planet who cannot do a quad. That is no reason to wish Evan bad luck and be gleeful if he fails.
    I absolutely agree, Mathman! He may not be everyone's cup of tea (he's certainly not always mine), but he played the game and delivered the types of performances necessary to garner the points he needed to win his titles. I think that deserves some kind of respect. And, if one can't bring themselves to respect him for it, at least withhold the unnecessary ill will. If you don't like him, don't root for him!

Having said that, I think it will be interesting to have him in the mix. What can it hurt? I will be happy to see how everything unfolds as long as the placements reflect the actual performances. I wish him the best of luck!

Banned
    This will probably end up being Evan's only competition of the season. It is his way of saying he was serious about his comeback and competed despite WDing from Skate America and U.S Nationals with yet another "injury".

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver1998 View Post
    I absolutely agree, Mathman! He may not be everyone's cup of tea (he's certainly not always mine), but he played the game and delivered the types of performances necessary to garner the points he needed to win his titles. I think that deserves some kind of respect. And, if one can't bring themselves to respect him for it, at least withhold the unnecessary ill will. If you don't like him, don't root for him!

Having said that, I think it will be interesting to have him in the mix. What can it hurt? I will be happy to see how everything unfolds as long as the placements reflect the actual performances. I wish him the best of luck!
    Surely there is criticism in between respect and reserve of ill will? There is respect and admiration of his win, criticism that he was extremely conservative and didn't do all that he could do and thus ending jump progress, and just ill will which I guess is "Go away! You stink! You're the worst ever! BOO!!!!" LOL!

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    People don't hate Evan because of the quad. There are plenty of other reasons. For instance:

A) They think that he robbed legendary skating grandpa Plushenko of another Olympic gold medal.
    B) They don't like the mild disses Evan aimed at skating's pixie-troll Johnny Weir.
    C) They don't like his hilariously un-self-conscious statements about bringing masculinity b(l)ack to skating.
    D) They don't enjoy his calculated skating.
    E) They know him personally... or so I hear.

That said, I, for one, welcome back Mr. Lysacek. The current sorry bunch of US men's skaters ain't cutting it. We need somebody, anybody, to keep the USA from being embarrassed and shamed in enemy territory. If Evan is good enough now, and he well might be, I wish him great success in his comeback.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    BTW, the official website for the 2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic is now live online:

The official announcement (7-page PDF):
    http://www.usfsa.org/content/2013%20...nouncement.pdf

And I copied and pasted highlights of the announcement in a new GS competition thread:

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    ... ill will which I guess is "Go away! You stink! You're the worst ever! BOO!!!!" LOL!
    Actually, I personally have no problem if people think that a particular skater stinks, is the worst ever, booo go away. Ill will is hoping that the skater will fall and break his leg. And being ready to gloat and celebrate when he does.

Maybe it's a case of "heavy is the head thar wears the crown" just like Chan now who wins (some feel undeservedly) by wringing points out of everything.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Evan has done the quad before, hasn't he? I'm not a big Evan fan, but he has consistency and the ability to do two clean programs. He also knows how to squeeze maximum points out of every element he does. I think injury is more likely to hold Evan back than his inability to do multiple quads.
    Evan did a very good 4t/3t at nationals 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8zJXcviX0I

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    I saw a huge improvement in Evan's style of skating after he'd appeared on "Dancing with the Stars." He learned a lot about artistry & presentation from the professional dancers on that show. If he competes I think many of his doubters will be surprised.
    I'd believe that. We saw a big difference in gymnastics when Shawn Johnson came back after Dancing With The Stars. We only saw a dance-through because of her knee injury, but still, there was a big difference.

In case anyone is interested:
    Before:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AONcTKuMPHU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOnOZgiepJU

After: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC4ugpan5gc

Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    I am just curious, why does everyone hate Lysacek so much? I get that he doesn't have a solid consistent quad. But neither does Takahashi, Kozuka, Abbott, Amodio, Brown, or Miner, all of whom seem to get more appreciation here. I don't understand the level of hatred Evan seems to inspire.
    I was wondering this myself. He is an exciting performer. A 6.0 skater who transformed enough to win a CoP battle. He's very impressive in many ways. I think he deserves far more respect for his achievements and incredible work ethic. JMHO.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Shawn Johnson moves with all the grace of a dump truck on a deadline. Before, during and after Dancing with the Has-Beens.

Actually, I personally have no problem if people think that a particular skater stinks, is the worst ever, booo go away. Ill will is hoping that the skater will fall and break his leg. And being ready to gloat and celebrate when he does.
    Really? Have there been such posts? Why, that's... I'd not wish that for anyone! But since I'm not particularly interested in him, I often don't read Lysacek threads, so I don't follow closely what people say about him. (I think it was mostly idle curiosity brought me into this thread - and there isn't much going on now. )

Custom Title
    Wow that would be some level of ill will!! That's really nasty!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Evan did a very good 4t/3t at nationals 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8zJXcviX0I
    It was quite exciting watching Evan throw down that performance on the live broadcast. I was actually a fan of that performance.

Too bad that he never had a performance after that came close to that one.

It's nice to hear that Evan is going to enter this minor competition, because he definitely needs it. He needs to do well, in order to prove his doubters wrong. And obviously, he has a lot of them after two aborted comeback attempts in the past two seasons.

Custom Title
    Go, Evan!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast