Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lysacek likely to enter U.S. Int'l in Salt Lake City, per Hersh (Jun 12)

Banned
    zzzzz again ?
    but in the last minute would pull out because of another groin injury, lol

Custom Title
    Even will need all the competitions he can get if he hopes to make the Olympic team. Even Yuna needed a couple minor events last season to get ready for Worlds and she had been away from competing for a much shorter time then Lysacek has been plus she is much younger. Even is almost 28 with no competitions in almost 4 years. That is asking a lot for someone of his age to suddenly get the quad.

Custom Title
    I have never understood fans who think athletes, in any sport, routinely fake injuries. Elite training and competition in any sport takes a hard toll on the body.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    C'mon Evan!

I'm rooting for you. I want to see you and Plushenko have a rematch in Sochi.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Surely there is criticism in between respect and reserve of ill will? There is respect and admiration of his win, criticism that he was extremely conservative and didn't do all that he could do and thus ending jump progress, and just ill will which I guess is "Go away! You stink! You're the worst ever! BOO!!!!" LOL!
    Certainly, there is a level of criticism that fits somewhere between respect and ill will. I never said there was not. You can respectfully and constructively criticize, but sarcastic criticism that borders on ill will, while humorous at times, serves no real purpose but to bolster personal vanity. I feel everyone is entitled to their opinion and to express that opinion however they wish, but I was merely pointing out (perhaps not clearly enough) that there are ways of expressing criticisms in a more positive way as opposed to a negative approach. But again, that is just my opinion!
    At any rate, I enjoy seeing all skaters perform at their highest level regardless of how I feel about them (Evan included). I was never a big Sasha fan, but I really felt for her during her attempted comeback at the 2010 Nationals. It was a tough moment for her! I hope Evan will come back more prepared and will have a better result. It seems like a smart move, as others have said, to get started earlier with this event.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    I am just curious, why does everyone hate Lysacek so much? I get that he doesn't have a solid consistent quad. But neither does Takahashi, Kozuka, Abbott, Amodio, Brown, or Miner, all of whom seem to get more appreciation here. I don't understand the level of hatred Evan seems to inspire.
    For me personally, I don't like how his previous comeback was thwarted by money, and I think he is just in this solely to stay relevant for endorsements. He probably got the short end of the stick compared to other OGMs but that's because FS is just less popular now.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    For me personally, I don't like how his previous comeback was thwarted by money, and I think he is just in this solely to stay relevant for endorsements. He probably got the short end of the stick compared to other OGMs but that's because FS is just less popular now.
    Agree.

I think a lot of people liked Lysacek, and were happy for him in 2010, because we could see the steady, consistent improvement year after year. Even if you weren't a fan of his style (in the U.S. alone, I would put him far behind the likes of Savoie, Abbott, and, yes, Weir) it was genuinely impressive to watch his progress. And had the scoring system favored the quad more in 2010, I bet he'd have kept his (which was fairly consistent) in his arsenal.

But a lot of this comeback talk has had the whiff of a publicity campaign, less of a genuine effort. He couldn't have competed once in the past few years, just to prove he had something left in the tank? Give credit to Plushenko for at least making periodic appearances to stay fresh and relevant. I think it's very hard for the figure skating fan to square the fact that he's been absent for three years with this endless publicity machine suggesting that he's secretly doing world-beating performances in private. Pretty tough to buy.

That said: Hope he proves everybody wrong.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fadeevfan View Post

Agree.

I think a lot of people liked Lysacek, and were happy for him in 2010, because we could see the steady, consistent improvement year after year. Even if you weren't a fan of his style (in the U.S. alone, I would put him far behind the likes of Savoie, Abbott, and, yes, Weir) it was genuinely impressive to watch his progress. And had the scoring system favored the quad more in 2010, I bet he'd have kept his (which was fairly consistent) in his arsenal.

But a lot of this comeback talk has had the whiff of a publicity campaign, less of a genuine effort. He couldn't have competed once in the past few years, just to prove he had something left in the tank? Give credit to Plushenko for at least making periodic appearances to stay fresh and relevant. I think it's very hard for the figure skating fan to square the fact that he's been absent for three years with this endless publicity machine suggesting that he's secretly doing world-beating performances in private. Pretty tough to buy.

Less than genuine effort? How quickly people forget that Lysacek did not compete last season because of an injury which required surgery. Prior to the surgery, Evan was skating at a very high level. Hopefully he can fully recover from the surgery and return to skating at that level.

As far as comments regarding Evan's skating, during the USFSA Hall of Fame induction ceremony in January, Lori Nichol spoke about Evan during her acceptance speech. One thing that she mentioned was watching Evan perform his free skate last May. She said that Evan's performance left her breathless. She stated that her wish was that Evan fully recovered from his injury so that the rest of the world could see that performance.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fadeevfan View Post
    Agree.

Excuse me but didn't Plushenko not come back until the Olympic season when he made his comeback? So he can take 3 years off and it was perfectly allright but with Evan it's not?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Excuse me but didn't Plushenko not come back until the Olympic season when he made his comeback? So he can take 3 years off and it was perfectly allright but with Evan it's not?
    This is true! And Plushenko I think - because he has been in it the mix most of the in between Vancouver and Sochi - that not being in the mix from Turin to Vancouver was a mistake! Like after 2007 worlds and 2008 worlds he was all "I'm returning!!" And he didn't!! Then he was put into a video about judging saying his scores were wrong and should be lower! So he learned best to not dawdle. And he was banned for a while too! Did more while actually banned then Lysacek has done not banned. Not even a Japan Open for Lysacek.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    I am just curious, why does everyone hate Lysacek so much? I get that he doesn't have a solid consistent quad. But neither does Takahashi, Kozuka, Abbott, Amodio, Brown, or Miner, all of whom seem to get more appreciation here. I don't understand the level of hatred Evan seems to inspire.
    I don't understand it either. I think he held it together in a high-pressure situation in Vancouver. He's got the best record of any American man in the last decade or so, and if he wants to try to come back, he has every right to give it the effort. If there's someone who can do better, by all means let's give it to that guy, but so far no one has shown up with that level of excellence.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    People don't hate Evan because of the quad. There are plenty of other reasons. For instance:

A) They think that he robbed legendary skating grandpa Plushenko of another Olympic gold medal.
    B) They don't like the mild disses Evan aimed at skating's pixie-troll Johnny Weir.
    C) They don't like his hilariously un-self-conscious statements about bringing masculinity b(l)ack to skating.
    D) They don't enjoy his calculated skating.
    E) They know him personally... or so I hear.

That said, I, for one, welcome back Mr. Lysacek. The current sorry bunch of US men's skaters ain't cutting it. We need somebody, anybody, to keep the USA from being embarrassed and shamed in enemy territory. If Evan is good enough now, and he well might be, I wish him great success in his comeback.
    Aaron is quite capable of a top 5. I highly doubt Evan is even capable of that at this point. Evan does not improve U.S mens situation. If one wishes for a U.S man on the podium, grandpa Evan certainly isnt going to achieve that. They need to focus on developing new stars to get back there someday. Plushenko was 1 year younger than Evan will be in Sochi, is about twice as talented a skater, and still didnt win gold against a way less talented field than the Sochi field will be.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    C'mon Evan!

I'm rooting for you. I want to see you and Plushenko have a rematch in Sochi.
    A rematch for what? 7th place.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Really? Weren't people quite sceptical about Plushy's return as well? I recall the Swedish commenators discussing it, in early 2009 or something, and the expert commentator stating categorically, when asked what she thought of the rumours that he meant to return: "No. It's been far too long." I especially remember because I was particularly miffed at her trying to squash my hopes - not succeeding, though. Hope is hard to kill in the skating fan - I'm sure it's the same with many of Evan's fans - and why not?

ETA - I think for some people the proof of the pudding is in the eating. With those people I think that, if Evan makes a successful comeback, then his absence will become - in hindsight - "allright" as well.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    zzzzz again ?
    but in the last minute would pull out because of another groin injury, lol
    Why is it funny when an athlete is prevented from competing because of an injury? Just wondering.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast