Cheryl Peake (1986-1992 British Pairs Champion with Andrew Naylor) has died | Golden Skate

Cheryl Peake (1986-1992 British Pairs Champion with Andrew Naylor) has died

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Cheryl Peake (1986-1992 British Pairs Champion with Andrew Naylor) has died

Cheryl Peake: 30th March 1966 - 12th June 2013

Just saw on Lorna Brown's Facebook profile that English Pairs skater Cheryl Peake died yesterday!

http://www.facebook.com/lornaskater/posts/10151479053773947

To make sure this was right, I hunted down the profile of Andrew Naylor (Cheryl's skating partner), and unfortunately, it was on there too:

http://www.facebook.com/andrew.naylor.1481/posts/10151983515803975

Cheryl Peake and Andrew Naylor were the dominant force in British Pairs Skating for most of the late 80's/early 90's. In that time they won the British Senior Pairs Championships 7 years in succession, from 1986 to 1992.

This earned them regular appearances at the European Championships from 1986 to 1992, and every year they finished in the top 10. Their best results were 5th place in 1987 and 1989 (the champions both those years being Larisa Selezneva and Oleg Makarov).

They also competed at the World Championships from 1986 to 1991 and, with the exception of 1990 (when Catherine Barker and Michael Aldred represented Britain instead), every year they finished between 9th and 12th. Their best result was 9th place in 1987 (the champions that year being Ekaterina Gordeeva and the much-missed Sergei Grinkov).

In 1988, they competed in the Winter Olympics in Calgary, finishing 12th in both programmes, and 12th overall! I just had a look on YouTube, and here is a video of their Short Programme from Calgary.

Other videos I found are their Free Skate from the 1986 Skate America, and their Free Skate from the 1988 Skate America. There is also a video of them doing an exhibition in St. Ivel in 1987, but I should warn you that the quality of this particular video is not great.

Cheryl and Andrew retired from competitive skating in 1992. I am afraid I do not know what has been happening with either of them in the intervening years until now.

My thoughts go out to Cheryl's family and friends.

CaroLiza_fan

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I remember them. They represented Britain quite well. I'm sorry to learn of her demise. Too young.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I remember them. They represented Britain quite well. I'm sorry to learn of her demise. Too young.

Unfortunately, I am too young to remember them (I was only a few months old when they won their first British Championship!) But, having watched the videos, they were really good!

The late 80's must have been a great time for British Figure skating, what with Peake and Naylor, Joanne Conway, and Torvill and Dean all doing well on the international stage!

How sad, she was so young. Was she sick? (I'm not on Facebook, so I can't read the article).

It is. As you and the other members who have replied have been commenting on, 47 is too young.

Well, that's the thing - I can't seem to find out what happened to Cheryl. I have been keeping an eye on the "National Ice Skating Association Of Great Britain And Nothern Ireland" website, to see if they say what happened. But they seem to be pre-occupied with preparing for the British Solo Dance Championships, so there has been no notification about her death on there yet.

One person who replied to Lorna's comment (Leslie Talisman) said Cheryl "passed away from Sceptic Shock." But, that is the only place where a reason has been given, so I am waiting for somebody more official to back it up.

And, while looking for what happened there now, I found that Richard Lambert has copied my original post about Cheryl's death WORD-FOR-WORD onto his website!!! :eek: (Well, OK, so he edited out a few bits. But, apart from that, it is identical)

With the amount of time it took me searching for results and videos (along with verification of the sad news), it would have been nice to have got a bit of credit! :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

wvmcgehee

Spectator
Cheryl Peake -

All,

I am a family member of Cheryl's and I can confirm Cheryl passed away on June 12th in Hollywood Florida. Her passing was sudden and unexpected and myself and her family are deeply saddened over her loss. She is survived by two young sons, at this time there will not be a public memorial.

Cheryl loved ice skating from a very young age and always worked to be the best she could be, once she retired from competing she spent several years in various ice shows in the US including the Ice Capades. Her love of skating extended to coaching where she spent 12 years working with students across the US sharing her love of the ice.

I can try to post more here as the final arrangements are made.

Thank you

Bill

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bill,

Please accept my sincere condolences for your tragic and unexpected loss.

How sad for your entire family, but especially her children. Prayers for you all.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Firstly, I just wanted to let you know that NISA has now posted an announcement about Cheryl’s death:

http://www.iceskating.org.uk/node/6194

Also, I would like to thank Bill for letting us know a bit more about Cheryl's life post-competition. I realise this must have been very difficult for you to do so soon after your loss, but we really do appreciate it.

Please take some comfort in the fact that we figure skating fans thought a lot of Cheryl, and our thoughts are now with you and all your family at this difficult time.

CaroLiza_fan

skatesindreams

Rinkside
All,

I am a family member of Cheryl's and I can confirm Cheryl passed away on June 12th in Hollywood Florida. Her passing was sudden and unexpected and myself and her family are deeply saddened over her loss. She is survived by two young sons, at this time there will not be a public memorial.

Cheryl loved ice skating from a very young age and always worked to be the best she could be, once she retired from competing she spent several years in various ice shows in the US including the Ice Capades. Her love of skating extended to coaching where she spent 12 years working with students across the US sharing her love of the ice.

I can try to post more here as the final arrangements are made.

Thank you

Bill

My sympathy to you; and to her family.
May she rest in peace.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bill, thank you for your post. My sincere condolences to you & all of your family. May Cheryl rest in peace.

russell30

Final Flight
I remember Cheryl, her and Andrew skated with such poise, synchronisation and both had musicality with their joy of skating. Was my era along with Steven Cousins, Joanne Conway, Charlene Von Saher.

Was so sad and totally shocked of the news and thank you all for giving your time and thoughts to Cheryl and her Family.

It has been a black period for British Skating the past couple of months with Katie Scarborough too!