2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic: Sep 11-15 [Salt Lake City, Utah] | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic: Sep 11-15 [Salt Lake City, Utah]

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Dance is only a couple or two shy of an Olympic Competition. This will be fun.

Got a copy of any email today with some of the official practice schedule.

Wednesday, Sept. 11
1:15-2:25 Novice Ladies
2:40-3:50 Novice Pairs
4:05-5:15 Novice Men
5:30-6:40 Senior Men
6:55-8:05 Senior Pairs

Thursday, Sept. 12
2:36-4:51 Senior Ladies
1:35-3:50 Senior Dance

Friday, Sept. 13
2:10-3:20 Novice Dance
3:35-4:10 Junior Pairs
4:25-5:45 Junior Ladies

Also, here is the official flyer https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=140c056c327474c4&mt=application/pdf&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui%3D2%26ik%3Da54360d1e9%26view%3Datt%26th%3D140c056c327474c4%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dsafe%26zw&sig=AHIEtbQu6RarEGCxZ2bMHd9f4VDn5kxnSg Has some of the times on it.

Still no word on the Challenge Skate competitors.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Well, there will be a lot of interesting skaters to watch in all the disciplines! Ice Dance will be of course the most exciting because of Meryl and Charlie, but the American Ladies are all quite strong, and there are a lot of interesting Pairs, too (M-T/M most of all)... :popcorn:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Interesting that Dance will have 15 couples -- 50% more than the previously stated maximum of 10. :)

But only 16 Ladies, 13 Men, and 8 Pairs.

Ice Dance rules!

Sorry, in my post above, I hope that I did not sound disrespectful to other disciplines. I will be cheering for other skaters in addition to the dancers.

Just was giving a nod to the dancers because they alone exceed the original limit for their discipline. (And in comparison, only nine dance couples competed last year, IIRC. Would have been ten, but one couple had to withdraw b/c of injury.)

fairly4

Medalist
good group for dance, will be interesting to see who medals, pairs same thing see if u.s. pair can unseat moore/towers moscovitch.

for men/ladies i see a u.s. sweep unless something happens.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Alright, why not?

Ladies' Predictions: Gold, Zawadzki, Hicks
Men's Predictions: Aaron, Lysacek, Farris
Dance Predictions: D/W, W/P, P/B
Pairs: M-T/M, D/C, C/S

sarahjane

Rinkside
We went last year and had a blast! Yes, the programs were rough in some spots, but half the fun is watching how they improve over the season. (For example -- watching Max advance all the way to National Champion was extra special because of Salt Lake experience.) Can't wait to go again -- hope to see some of the same spectators there from last year. We were very few, but we had fun getting to know each other. The U of U homecoming stuff was not a big intrusion, but kind of fun. (We even watched the homecoming game on TV that night! Turned me into a Ute fan.) The organizers had the parking lot next to the rink reserved for skating ticket holders, which was very thoughtful. The venue is very close to the University, the Botanical Garden, and the Museum of Natural History.

We are delighted to be going again this year --be assured we will cheer for every competitor in every event all year long, but especially those where we can say, "Remember when he/she did such-and-such in Salt Lake?" (And Go Utes!)

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
How do they pick the rosters for the Novice and Junior events? Do the federations pay for their registration and travel as well like the seniors?

A.H.Black

Final Flight
This may give some insight

U.S. Figure Skating’s Athlete Development Committee and Athlete Development Department are the oversights for the U.S. Novice and Junior Challenge Skate event. This event is a domestic developmental competition; it is not part of the U.S. Figure Skating High Performance department, Team USA, or the International Committee.

Goals of the U.S. Novice and Junior Challenge Skate:

To provide an opportunity for athletes that have competed at the national level in intermediate, novice and junior, but have not yet competed internationally, to experience what it would be like to compete at an international competition, through following the same event format as an international competition, observing the senior competition, and being part of a team.

To provide these athletes with an opportunity to compete at a high-level challenging competition with similarly talented athletes from across the country. For the competition and program to be a fun and inspirational learning experience for both athletes and parents.

The website also indicates that skaters had to send in entry forms. I'm not sure how the skaters were chosen after that.

freedance

Rinkside
hello guys !!! I m new here !!

I hope, Us from outside USA will have some news of this competition !
Pity IN is geoblocked :(

Have fun to all who will attend !!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
freedance, welcome to Golden Skate, post long & often!

News, we will definitely have.

IN's news and photographs are not geoblocked; only video for seniors. Video for Juniors & Novices is not geoblocked.

And ice-dance.com will definitely have many photographs.

The dance competition will be FIERCE! I'm sure many GS members will have lots to say.

I hope videos will appear somewhere (of which there is no guarantee), but you must move fast to see them because IN will have them taken down entirely, not just geoblocked inside the US, if their past behavior is anything to go by.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
will there be a tream of the competition somewhere or do i just have to rely on audiences posting youtube videos? im in europe..

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
TSL hinted yesterday on facebook that someone is injured and will not compete in the men's field... they wouldn't release the name. But I'm thinking we may all know who it is...

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
TSL hinted yesterday on facebook that someone is injured and will not compete in the men's field... they wouldn't release the name. But I'm thinking we may all know who it is...

They did reveeal that its not max so that leaves farris and evan... no suprise just dont see evans big comeback happening

silverlake22

Record Breaker
They did reveeal that its not max so that leaves farris and evan... no suprise just dont see evans big comeback happening

Don't think anyone is really expecting much from Farris at this point so my guess is it's Lysacek...surprise, surprise.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If Evan's out the GP season should be very telling and give us an updated idea of who the frontrunners vs. contenders vs. darkhorses are for the Olympic spots. Assuming Brown gets the SA spot, we'd see Brown vs. Rippon, whoever comes out on top gets contender status, the other stays put as a darkhorse. Then at SC you have Abbott, Miner, and Farris. If the results are Abbott-Farris-Miner, Abbott is a frontrunner, Farris a contender, and Miner stays a darkhorse. If it's Abbott-Miner-Farris, Abbott is a frontrunner, Miner a contender, and Farris stays a darkhorse. If Farris or Miner beats Abbott, then Abbott stays a contender but whoever beats him will make a big jump up to being a frontrunner. If Abbott loses to a fellow American at SC and then again to Aaron at TEB (or possibly even Rippon though I think that would be unlikely), Jeremy is in a bad situation heading into Nationals. At TEB, Miner vs. Brown and if Miner is the 2nd or 3rd placed American at SC and then loses to Brown there that would put him in a bit of a hole, while Brown beating Miner would help boost his status quite a bit given the Nationals gap last season, especially if he beats Rippon at SA. Then finally Farris and Dornbush go head-to-head at COR, the winner there gets an edge on the other. Dornbush is lucky in that he's the only American guy at CoC.

Can't wait to see how this unfolds! Evan being in the mix honestly throws a big wrench into the whole situation and makes it much more confusing as well as likely to be predictable...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Can't wait to see how this unfolds! Evan being in the mix honestly throws a big wrench into the whole situation and makes it much more confusing as well as likely to be predictable...

IF he's still in the mix. Thinking he's done.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

It could be Farris, Carrierre or Lysacek...I'm picking Lysacek, because after all, NO-ONE EVER has EVER come back from such a HORRIBLE injury like EVAN LYSACEK!

I would be so disappointed for Carrierre if it was him since he doesn't get big-stage opportunities like this often, and come on, Farris has had enough injury woes to last his entire career. (Yo, Lysacek, when was the last time YOU came back from a broken leg?)

EDIT:

If Lysacek also uses this moment to pull out of SkAm then I can't imagine anyone other than Brown getting it. He's number one on the substitute list, and it would be his home Grand Prix.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
It could be Farris, Carrierre or Lysacek...I'm picking Lysacek, because after all, NO-ONE EVER has EVER come back from such a HORRIBLE injury like EVAN LYSACEK!

I would be so disappointed for Carrierre if it was him since he doesn't get big-stage opportunities like this often, and come on, Farris has had enough injury woes to last his entire career. (Yo, Lysacek, when was the last time YOU came back from a broken leg?)

Groin injuries have ended many skating careers because the injury never really heals without complete rest; and the jumping, twisting, and spinning, that are part of competitive skating, can stress the already injured groin. Evan also had a torn abdominal muscle that was repaired with carbon fiber mesh. Some people have prolonged pain and complications because of the carbon mesh fiber. Only time will tell if Evan has residuals from the carbon fiber mesh. I don't know if Evan ever had a broken leg. However, if a broken leg heals properly, the bone is actually stronger when it heals. (At least that is what my doctor told me when I broke my leg ... and I went on to complete 3 marathons, and 7 half marathons with no residual pain or functional deficits)