2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic: Sep 11-15 [Salt Lake City, Utah] | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic: Sep 11-15 [Salt Lake City, Utah]

KKonas

Medalist
Bummed that the Shibs, Lysacek and apparently Pechalat/Bourzat won't be in SLC. Also there is no media room at this event, so that may be one reason media access is limited.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Best to the Shibutanis and to Lysacek.

Absolutely. Takes a class act and a lot of perseverance for an uninjured partner to stand by and wait out for the injured one to heal. When Evan Bates was injured, his partner Emily Samuelson sat out the entire season training hard, being supportive and waiting for him to be able to return the next season.

And Samuelson proved yet again that she is the ultimate class act -- after Bates was very quick to skate away from her as soon as he recovered. Samuelson took the high road and refrained from complaining in public that her commitment to their partnership was not reciprocated. Her resilience and character will take her far in life. :bow: :thumbsup:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Absolutely. Takes a class act and a lot of perseverance for an uninjured partner to stand by and wait out for the injured one to heal. When Evan Bates was injured, his partner Emily Samuelson sat out the entire season training hard, being supportive and waiting for him to be able to return the next season.

Sometimes a story like this has a happy ending. Meryl Davis sat out an entire year when Charlie White broke his ankle playing hockey.

Yes, both Emily & Meryl showed great class. I'm still sad that Emily's story did not have the happy ending, though.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Meryl Davis sat out an entire year when Charlie White broke his ankle playing hockey.

I looked it up--it was only for a couple of months. They didn't miss any season.

I would have argued that at that point, D/W were a team for almost a decade, but S/B teamed up in 2000 and "split" in 2011, so ... Emily is a class act.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@USFigureSkating
2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic Viewers’ Guide (includes updated time schedule and notes) http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2013...ational-figure-skating-classic-viewers-guide/
8:24 AM - 10 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/statuses/377452652096790528

The blog entry at the link above a brief overview, plus links to:
- the icenetwork.com event page:
- the combined schedule for Classic and Challenge Skate events:
- competition notes for Team USA entries:

KKonas

Medalist
I looked it up--it was only for a couple of months. They didn't miss any season.

Don't know that D/W missed the entire season, but they did miss the 2005 US Nationals and did not go to Jr. Worlds that year. They were 2nd in US Jrs. in 2004 and won US Jrs. in 2006, went to Jr. Worlds and won bronze.

KKonas

Medalist
I would have argued that at that point, D/W were a team for almost a decade, but S/B teamed up in 2000 and "split" in 2011, so ... Emily is a class act.

I fail to see such a great difference. You state that D/W were a team for almost a decade when White had the injury and they had to sit out the most important part of the 2004-05 season, but S/B were also a team for a decade when they split. Both Meryl and Emily are class acts. I know both of them quite well.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

2000 - 2011 = 11 years... so that's more than a decade. I guess I don't understand what you are trying to say with that.

Unless it's that Meryl wasn't as classy because she wasn't dumped by a partner? I think what Doris was saying that both women show more class than they're given credit for. Meryl for sticking it out when she could've easily gone elsewhere... and Emily for doing the same as Meryl and being rewarded with a door slammed in her face (figuratively speaking). I don't think either one is greater than the other in the supportive partner department.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
How about we keep the conversation on the topic here, the competition and post that on a meryl and charlie thread??
Question about the streaming og icenetwork, does it work in europe anyone knows??

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I fail to see such a great difference. You state that D/W were a team for almost a decade when White had the injury and they had to sit out the most important part of the 2004-05 season, but S/B were also a team for a decade when they split. Both Meryl and Emily are class acts. I know both of them quite well.

2000 - 2011 = 11 years... so that's more than a decade. I guess I don't understand what you are trying to say with that.

Unless it's that Meryl wasn't as classy because she wasn't dumped by a partner? I think what Doris was saying that both women show more class than they're given credit for. Meryl for sticking it out when she could've easily gone elsewhere... and Emily for doing the same as Meryl and being rewarded with a door slammed in her face (figuratively speaking). I don't think either one is greater than the other in the supportive partner department.

That brief post, I admit, was not written very well. Upon re-reading, I can see why it's evoked such a negative response--what I posted doesn't even make sense! :no: In short, all of it was pretty dumb. Complete and utter failure on my part, my sincerest apologies.

I did not mean to imply that Meryl wasn't a class act, Tonichelle, not at all! And that "unless" suggestion/question just doesn't make sense to me, so no, that was absolutely not what I was implying. What I really meant was what the rest of what you said.

And KKonas, I don't doubt they're very nice people--I think it's quite fortunate that you've had the chance to know both Emily and Meryl well.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I did not mean to imply that Meryl wasn't a class act, Tonichelle, not at all!

No worries, ATR. I did not think for one second that you had any intention of stirring up a contest as to "Who is more classy?"
I think that we're all on the same page that no one -- not even our beloved Samuelson or Davis -- has a monopoly on classiness.

This discussion reminds me:
Doesn't the story go that Shen's support for Zhao as he recovered from his injury was the catalyst for their love story? :love:
And now they have a baby. Talk about a happy ending. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Question about the streaming og icenetwork, does it work in europe anyone knows??

No. The streaming for the Senior B will only work in America. Those outside of the US can't access any of IceNetwork's coverage of the Senior B, not even the on-demand video.

It sucks for those of us outside America, if we wanted to watch Max, or Josh, or D/W, or Gracie, or anyone there. And I don't understand it. It's a fricking Senior B, not the bloody Olympics.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I hope someone will upload some videos on YT: last year we had some dance videos, but nothing from Men, Ladies and pairs... At least Gracie, Max and D/W please!! :bow:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I hope someone will upload some videos on YT: last year we had some dance videos, but nothing from Men, Ladies and pairs... At least Gracie, Max and D/W please!! :bow:

I hope there are YT videos as well. I've been dying to see Josh's new programs too, especially the Tango short. And Max's sexy samba! Between Max's samba, Josh's tango, Artur's flamenco and Jason's Prince, there's a bit of a sensual feel among my favourites this year!

freedance

Rinkside
No. The streaming for the Senior B will only work in America. Those outside of the US can't access any of IceNetwork's coverage of the Senior B, not even the on-demand video.

It sucks for those of us outside America, if we wanted to watch Max, or Josh, or D/W, or Gracie, or anyone there. And I don't understand it. It's a fricking Senior B, not the bloody Olympics.

I agree !! Here in EUrope is not possible to buy the pass of IN, it's geoblocked.
So sad !!
I hope for some Kind soul on Yube for ice-dance vids !
TO be honest it's a nice competition, but a B one, so maybe a free streaming wouldn't be so bad ...

freedance

Rinkside

Agree !!! Let's hope !! for some news too from kind users attending !:)

freedance

Rinkside
Guy do you think it will be a icecalc page like for the gps? with results, ,marks and pdf ??
Am I asking too much ??

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Guy do you think it will be a icecalc page like for the gps? with results, ,marks and pdf ??
Am I asking too much ??

Oh, I dearly hope so!

Freedance, my friend, here is a list of the competitions that people outside the US cannot see using IceNetwork:

2013 U.S. International Classic (Sept. 11-15, 2013)
2013 Nebelhorn Trophy (Sept. 25-28, 2013)
2013 Skate America (Oct. 18-20, 2013)
2013 Skate Canada (Oct. 25-27, 2013)
2013 Cup of China (Nov. 1-3, 2013)
2013 NHK Trophy (Nov. 8-10, 2013)
2013 Trophee Eric Bompard (Nov. 15-17, 2013)
2013 Rostelecom Cup (Nov. 22-24, 2013)
2013 Junior/Senior Grand Prix Final (Dec. 5-8, 2013)
2014 Four Continents Championships (Jan. 20-26, 2014)
2014 World Junior Figure Skating Championships (March 10-16, 2014)
2014 World Figure Skating Championships (March 24-30, 2014)
2014 World Synchronized Skating Championships (April 4-5, 2014)

Here are the competitions those who live outside the US CAN see on IceNetwork:

2014 US National Championships (Jan 4-11, 2014)
2014 European Championships (Jan 13-19, 2014)

However, to view those events, you have to be a subscriber. Subscription is $50 for the year, no matter how many events you can access.