2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic: Sep 11-15 [Salt Lake City, Utah] | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic: Sep 11-15 [Salt Lake City, Utah]

freedance

Rinkside
Oh, I dearly hope so!

Freedance, my friend, here is a list of the competitions that people outside the US cannot see using IceNetwork:

2013 U.S. International Classic (Sept. 11-15, 2013)
2013 Nebelhorn Trophy (Sept. 25-28, 2013)
2013 Skate America (Oct. 18-20, 2013)
2013 Skate Canada (Oct. 25-27, 2013)
2013 Cup of China (Nov. 1-3, 2013)
2013 NHK Trophy (Nov. 8-10, 2013)
2013 Trophee Eric Bompard (Nov. 15-17, 2013)
2013 Rostelecom Cup (Nov. 22-24, 2013)
2013 Junior/Senior Grand Prix Final (Dec. 5-8, 2013)
2014 Four Continents Championships (Jan. 20-26, 2014)
2014 World Junior Figure Skating Championships (March 10-16, 2014)
2014 World Figure Skating Championships (March 24-30, 2014)
2014 World Synchronized Skating Championships (April 4-5, 2014)

Here are the competitions those who live outside the US CAN see on IceNetwork:

2014 US National Championships (Jan 4-11, 2014)
2014 European Championships (Jan 13-19, 2014)

However, to view those events, you have to be a subscriber. Subscription is $50 for the year, no matter how many events you can access.

yes, thank you !
which are basically ALL ! ;)

SkateFan66

On the Ice
Oh, I dearly hope so!

Freedance, my friend, here is a list of the competitions that people outside the US cannot see using IceNetwork:

2013 U.S. International Classic (Sept. 11-15, 2013)
2013 Nebelhorn Trophy (Sept. 25-28, 2013)
2013 Skate America (Oct. 18-20, 2013)
2013 Skate Canada (Oct. 25-27, 2013)
2013 Cup of China (Nov. 1-3, 2013)
2013 NHK Trophy (Nov. 8-10, 2013)
2013 Trophee Eric Bompard (Nov. 15-17, 2013)
2013 Rostelecom Cup (Nov. 22-24, 2013)
2013 Junior/Senior Grand Prix Final (Dec. 5-8, 2013)
2014 Four Continents Championships (Jan. 20-26, 2014)
2014 World Junior Figure Skating Championships (March 10-16, 2014)
2014 World Figure Skating Championships (March 24-30, 2014)
2014 World Synchronized Skating Championships (April 4-5, 2014)

Here are the competitions those who live outside the US CAN see on IceNetwork:

2014 US National Championships (Jan 4-11, 2014)
2014 European Championships (Jan 13-19, 2014)

However, to view those events, you have to be a subscriber. Subscription is $50 for the year, no matter how many events you can access.

If you can only view 2 events on IceNetwork, that averages $25 per event. Much cheaper than actually traveling to an event.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Guy do you think it will be a icecalc page like for the gps? with results, ,marks and pdf ??
Am I asking too much ??

Last year, Salt Lake City results were available to all (at no cost) via this page:

Although I am not 100% sure, my hunch is that a comparable page will be available for 2013. Hope so.

ETA:

Official practices start today at 1:00 pm local time, according to this tweet. :)

And the tweet above has a link to a local article from yesterday (about the event as a whole, with some emphasis on EL's withdrawal). No new information AFAIK, but I would hope that more coverage and photos will be forthcoming this week.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If you can only view 2 events on IceNetwork, that averages $25 per event. Much cheaper than actually traveling to an event.

And I would not normally complain, if it wasn't for the fact that for $50, someone living inside the US can see all of that. If I pay for a full subscription to something, I expect to be able to access a full subscription.

I live in a skating minority country. None of the events on that list will make it to Australian free-to-air television, and it would be considered very lucky if maybe a one-hour highlights package of Four Continents or Worlds was shown at 4am on a pay TV channel. The internet is my only means to watch skating, and the website with the best and most comprehensive coverage is one I can't access completely. I'm sorry but I really think IceNetwork/USFSA/ISU is missing a trick here. There has to be a way to make the content available to those of us in skating minority countries. It would be great for the sport.

And I mean, for goodness' sake, SLC and Nebelhorn are SENIOR B'S. They won't even be on US TV anyway!

It really makes me cross that I am effectively being punished for being from a country where skating is barely considered a sport.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not mad at anyone in this thread, just frustrated.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
And I would not normally complain, if it wasn't for the fact that for $50, someone living inside the US can see all of that. If I pay for a full subscription to something, I expect to be able to access a full subscription.

I live in a skating minority country. None of the events on that list will make it to Australian free-to-air television, and it would be considered very lucky if maybe a one-hour highlights package of Four Continents or Worlds was shown at 4am on a pay TV channel. The internet is my only means to watch skating, and the website with the best and most comprehensive coverage is one I can't access completely. I'm sorry but I really think IceNetwork/USFSA/ISU is missing a trick here. There has to be a way to make the content available to those of us in skating minority countries. It would be great for the sport.

And I mean, for goodness' sake, SLC and Nebelhorn are SENIOR B'S. They won't even be on US TV anyway!

It really makes me cross that I am effectively being punished for being from a country where skating is barely considered a sport.

Could not agree more karne!! Im from norway skating a minot minor sport here no one realy cares about it, i would gladely pay for a IN subscribtion if they would let me watch! There is no other way i could see us classic or nebelhorn unless i go to the events witch
H I cant... so please someone upload videos on YT....

freedance

Rinkside

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not mad at anyone in this thread, just frustrated.

I understand the frustration !
I live in Italy were figure skating is a minor sport BUT we are lucky to have a tv that shows GPS EC and WC ...
for NOW, I'm not sure after Koster retirement they will keep showing all...
not all is LIVE so often I'm glued to the pc screen looking at streaming .
but really I can't understand why they don't open the possibility to buy the access to everyone.

Plus, to be honest this US CLassic ... this year has big names... so ...
At NEPELA Trophy Streaming is FREE ... and had big names too ...
Finland has tv coverage ...
so ...

Let's be positive and hope for vids on Yutbe !
And pics !!!!

blue eyed birds

Spectator
I definitely understand the frustration over missing things, but as for YouTube -- the dance videos had to be taken down last year because of a claim by U.S. Figure Skating. I wouldn't expect the same not to happen this year; Icenetwork and USFS are very aware when their content is posted out there. So if videos don't appear, it's not because people don't know that other fans would dearly love to see events so much as because to post such content would be to risk their own YouTube accounts for a copyright infringement claim.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I definitely understand the frustration over missing things, but as for YouTube -- the dance videos had to be taken down last year because of a claim by U.S. Figure Skating. I wouldn't expect the same not to happen this year; Icenetwork and USFS are very aware when their content is posted out there. So if videos don't appear, it's not because people don't know that other fans would dearly love to see events so much as because to post such content would be to risk their own YouTube accounts for a copyright infringement claim.
That's true. And that's sad.
One thing I don't understandis this: do IN and USFS practically want to prohibit people who live outside North America from watching this event? Because there isn't really any way for us to watch it, unless we actually go there and watch it live :slink: But, if someone films his/her computer's screen while they're watching the streaming, is it a copyright infringement?

Kutien

Final Flight
Just don`t use YouTube for this, when so much other videohostings.
http://vimeo.com
http://dailymotion.com
etc

gkelly

Record Breaker
One thing I don't understandis this: do IN and USFS practically want to prohibit people who live outside North America from watching this event? Because there isn't really any way for us to watch it, unless we actually go there and watch it live :slink:

I would guess that they would need to pay more for the rights to stream international events outside the US, and they'd also have to pay more to market their service abroad, they don't believe there are enough potential subscribers worldwide to justify the expenditures.

That would make sense with US Nationals (to which USFS would own the rights) being available outside the US, but not so much with Europeans. Maybe they felt it was worthwhile paying for international rights to that one, or US rights were part of international rights anyway.

Sucks for those few who would like to subscribe.

But, if someone films his/her computer's screen while they're watching the streaming, is it a copyright infringement?

As I understand, not if they film it and then watch it themselves, but yes if they share it in certain ways.

Most videos on youtube posted by anyone other than the creators are probably copyright infringements. The question is whether it's worth the rights holders' time and money to enforce their rights there.

freedance

Rinkside
I would guess that they would need to pay more for the rights to stream international events outside the US, and they'd also have to pay more to market their service abroad, they don't believe there are enough potential subscribers worldwide to justify the expenditures.

That would make sense with US Nationals (to which USFS would own the rights) being available outside the US, but not so much with Europeans. Maybe they felt it was worthwhile paying for international rights to that one, or US rights were part of international rights anyway.

Sucks for those few who would like to subscribe.

As I understand, not if they film it and then watch it themselves, but yes if they share it in certain ways.

Most videos on youtube posted by anyone other than the creators are probably copyright infringements. The question is whether it's worth the rights holders' time and money to enforce their rights there.

Well MAYBE they could have stream free the US Classic like they did for short track a couple of weeks ago, which I could see.

For Ytube
there are others way to share a video as said

FSGMT

Record Breaker

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So if videos don't appear, it's not because people don't know that other fans would dearly love to see events so much as because to post such content would be to risk their own YouTube accounts for a copyright infringement claim.

Oh, I absolutely understand this, especially as someone who has taken a sit on the naughty chair before for a skating-related copyright infringement. I just don't understand the USFSA's attitude!

One thing I don't understandis this: do IN and USFS practically want to prohibit people who live outside North America from watching this event? Because there isn't really any way for us to watch it, unless we actually go there and watch it live

Exactly! Why all the exclusivity? They seem to think that only Americans are interested in the American skaters - well, I can assure them that there are others interested, too!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Exactly! Why all the exclusivity? They seem to think that only Americans are interested in the American skaters - well, I can assure them that there are others interested, too!

Apparently, we're very elitist. We're like Miss Piggy had she never met Kermit.

In other news:
Lynn Rutherford (@LynnRutherford)
Aaron run-thru: 4S2T; 3A perfect to music; fast steps to samba and mambo. Work with ballroom teacher seems to be paying off. #SLC2013​

SLC pairs practice: Moore-Towers Moscovitch excellent run-thru SP, solid 3toes, throw, twist, lift. #SLC2013​

Notes from SLC: Stephen Carriere's Scheherazade short was choreographed by Tanith Belbin. #SLC2013​

Farris Libertango run-thru: fall 4toe; good 3A; really nice sit combo spin. Stops for a while, picks up with good steps incl leaps. #SLC2013

@icenetwork preview: Gold puts power on display; Cesario debuts Carmen; Zawadzki stays in moment http://tinyurl.com/pceaonc #SLC2013​

Aaron's coach Tom Zakrajsek confirmed Max will do 3 quads (2 Sals, 1 toe) in FS w/ 4Sal in latter half. If done well, TES over 100.#SLC2013​

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Notes on Wednesday Night Practice

These are pretty random.

Men

- Andrei Rogozine worked on his quad without success. In my opinion it's too slow and he won't get it till it has more speed.

- Martinez skated to Romeo or Juliet in a Spanish bullfighter costume - weird juxtaposition. No idea why.

- Farris Skated to a tango. Fell on quad attempt. Good 3axel. He was holding his stomach for a while after he skated - don't know why.

- Hochstein was working on his 3axel. Never did quite get it - usually had a hand down.

- Aaron The good news - He looks championship fit and committed. Landed a quad/quad combination in warm-up. Landed a 4sal/2toe in the program. The not-so-good news. NOT a championship choice of music. This is hackneyed music that I usually see 14th place skaters use. Spins are slow - hope he's working on them. Didn't see much of the choreography so I will reserve judgement. Spent the entire practice on jumps. Finally did a spin with about 2 minutes left in the session.

Pairs

- Moore-Towers/Moscovitch - did double twist lift, rather than triple. Someone thought the program was the same as last year. Someone here will know, I'm sure.

Castelli/Shnapir - Nice lifts. This program seems long. I will reserve judgement until competition. I like her leg extension in spirals and lifts.

Denney/Coughlin - Good run through. Good elements. Artistic impression seems sort of pasted on rather than real. I'm not sure I like this arrangement of Phantom.

Kayne/O'Shea - She was off on the jumps (sals) in the run through but hit them later. Lovely, accurate, choreography to Don Quixote. She has great posture.

Zhang/Bartholomay - Carousel waltz suits them. Still at the beginning stages and needs sharpening. It should be a good vehicle for them by Nationals.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
- Farris Skated to a tango. Fell on quad attempt. Good 3axel. He was holding his stomach for a while after he skated - don't know why.

He may have just been puffed, he does have asthma. But I hope that's all it is, not that he's eaten anything amiss again...

- Aaron The good news - He looks championship fit and committed. Landed a quad/quad combination in warm-up. Landed a 4sal/2toe in the program.

He did WHAT?! :eek:

- The not-so-good news. NOT a championship choice of music. This is hackneyed music that I usually see 14th place skaters use. Spins are slow - hope he's working on them. Didn't see much of the choreography so I will reserve judgement. Spent the entire practice on jumps. Finally did a spin with about 2 minutes left in the session.

That doesn't sound end-of-the-world devastating. Just because a champion doesn't normally use it doesn't make it a non-championship piece. His spins have always been not quite as good as his jumps, too. Not worried ;)

Thanks for your notes! :love: