2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic: Sep 11-15 [Salt Lake City, Utah] | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic: Sep 11-15 [Salt Lake City, Utah]

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I think it means he landed a quad (4T or 4S) AND a quad combo (4S+2T), not that he landed a 4+4 combo. :biggrin:
I thought about it to, because I read "quad-quad" and :jaw::biggrin: I think that there was a video of Menshov (?) attempting it on YT... And, I don't remember: has Max ever landed a 4T in competition?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I thought about it to, because I read "quad-quad" and :jaw::biggrin: I think that there was a video of Menshov (?) attempting it on YT... And, I don't remember: has Max ever landed a 4T in competition?

No, Max has never done 4T in competition.

Surely it wasn't actually a quad-quad...? Even Max is not that crazy! :jaw:

freedance

Rinkside
These are pretty random.

Men

- Andrei Rogozine worked on his quad without success. In my opinion it's too slow and he won't get it till it has more speed.

- Martinez skated to Romeo or Juliet in a Spanish bullfighter costume - weird juxtaposition. No idea why.

- Farris Skated to a tango. Fell on quad attempt. Good 3axel. He was holding his stomach for a while after he skated - don't know why.

- Hochstein was working on his 3axel. Never did quite get it - usually had a hand down.

- Aaron The good news - He looks championship fit and committed. Landed a quad/quad combination in warm-up. Landed a 4sal/2toe in the program. The not-so-good news. NOT a championship choice of music. This is hackneyed music that I usually see 14th place skaters use. Spins are slow - hope he's working on them. Didn't see much of the choreography so I will reserve judgement. Spent the entire practice on jumps. Finally did a spin with about 2 minutes left in the session.

Pairs

- Moore-Towers/Moscovitch - did double twist lift, rather than triple. Someone thought the program was the same as last year. Someone here will know, I'm sure.

Castelli/Shnapir - Nice lifts. This program seems long. I will reserve judgement until competition. I like her leg extension in spirals and lifts.

Denney/Coughlin - Good run through. Good elements. Artistic impression seems sort of pasted on rather than real. I'm not sure I like this arrangement of Phantom.

Kayne/O'Shea - She was off on the jumps (sals) in the run through but hit them later. Lovely, accurate, choreography to Don Quixote. She has great posture.

Zhang/Bartholomay - Carousel waltz suits them. Still at the beginning stages and needs sharpening. It should be a good vehicle for them by Nationals.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Would you go today too ???

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I do mean a quad/quad. I said to the people around me - Was that a quad/quad? Those who were looking saw it the same way. Later he did a quad/triple, but I'm pretty sure the first one was a quad/quad.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I do mean a quad/quad. I said to the people around me - Was that a quad/quad? Those who were looking saw it the same way. Later he did a quad/triple, but I'm pretty sure the first one was a quad/quad.
:eek: Was it a 4S+4T or a 4T+4T?

KKonas

Medalist
Arrived yesterday went to senior men/pairs practice. Lynn Rutherford already tweeted, so will only add some addl info. Farris did say that his stomach felt a little queasy. He also said that he and his coach choreographed his Libertango SP as well as his FP, which was skated earlier in the day. Liked his Libertango program but not sure he will do quad in short program. Aaron was doing lots of quads, quite easily. He is taking ballroom dance lessons and even competed at some small dance competition in Colorado. Says he loves dance. He and several others training in Colorado say they have been working with Chris Dean, who is spending several months there, most likely to spend time with his two sons but do a little choreo as well.

KKonas

Medalist
Dance and ladies practice this afternoon. Saw several of Zoueva's teams at the SLC airport including D/W. Almost didn't recognize Jackie White, Charlie's mom, who was a former brunette, is now a blonde. Didn't have a chance to chat, but hopefully will get a chance today after practice. Tom Z. said Aaron has only 2% body fat. Peter Oppegaard is here with Grant Hockstein who said that Evan had called them in advance of his announced withdrawal as a courtesy so that Grant could have a few extra days notice to prepare. Didn't get a chance to talk to pairs but they skate tonight.

Dramahkween

On the Ice
Absolutely. Takes a class act and a lot of perseverance for an uninjured partner to stand by and wait out for the injured one to heal. When Evan Bates was injured, his partner Emily Samuelson sat out the entire season training hard, being supportive and waiting for him to be able to return the next season.

From what I hear, DANIELLE is certainly a class act....I wish Danielle a fabulous skate, and cannot wait to watch her skate singles!!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

:jaw: :eek:

:eek: Was it a 4S+4T or a 4T+4T?

I imagine it likely would have been a 4S-4T, since Max's S is better.

Farris did say that his stomach felt a little queasy.

Blech, I hope that's nerves.

He also said that he and his coach choreographed his Libertango SP as well as his FP, which was skated earlier in the day. Liked his Libertango program but not sure he will do quad in short program.

The more I hear about his Libertango program the more I like the sound of it! Can't wait to see it!

Aaron was doing lots of quads, quite easily. He is taking ballroom dance lessons and even competed at some small dance competition in Colorado. Says he loves dance.

He won, too. ;)

Tom Z. said Aaron has only 2% body fat.

That much is very obvious just by looking :love: The guy is pure muscle!

freedance

Rinkside
Dance and ladies practice this afternoon. Saw several of Zoueva's teams at the SLC airport including D/W. Almost didn't recognize Jackie White, Charlie's mom, who was a former brunette, is now a blonde. Didn't have a chance to chat, but hopefully will get a chance today after practice. Tom Z. said Aaron has only 2% body fat. Peter Oppegaard is here with Grant Hockstein who said that Evan had called them in advance of his announced withdrawal as a courtesy so that Grant could have a few extra days notice to prepare. Didn't get a chance to talk to pairs but they skate tonight.

oh please an eye on WP too ????
thank you !!!!
:bow:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
any live results to follow for non american viewers ?
hows the practice run throughs for Gracie ? :)

looking forward to Aarons 3 quad attempts

lmarie086

Medalist
Thank you for all the practice reports, can't wait to hear about dance practice!

Am also :jaw: over Aaron's possible 4-4 combo.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max Aaron update from today :):

Jennifer Comeaux ‏@LadyWave4
#slc2013 men's warmup 2: Max hitting multiple quad-triples
12:10 PM - 12 Sep 13
https://twitter.com/LadyWave4/status/378234246680150016

ETA:

Thanks to KKonas for your reports.

And thanks again to A.H. Black.
LOL, like others, I did a double-take yesterday when I first saw the words "quad/quad combination" in your original report re Max's practice yesterday. But I immediately rationalized to myself that you did not mean two quads in combination. Thank you for confirming that in fact you really did mean exactly that. Lucky you to witness it. :yay:​

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks for all the reports and tweets!! Good luck to Grant and all the competitors. SKATING....wow! I won't be able to watch anything this evening because of a schedule conflict, but hope to see some tomorrow.

To all the fans attending: have fun!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Jackie Wong is doing a live play-by-play on his Examiner website. This is what he has so far:
http://www.examiner.com/article/2013-u-s-int-l-classic-play-by-play-and-results-pairs-short-program

(As of 9:20 PM, Eastern Time)
Pairs' short (standings so far)
1. Caydee Denney/John Coughlin USA - 61.66
2. Felicia Zhang/Nathan Bartholomay USA - 49.73

Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir USA - triple twist (just a bit tight on the catch but big), side-by-side triple salchow (Shnapir fall), throw triple salchow

Caydee Denney/John Coughlin USA - triple twist (big as always), side-by-side triple toe (a bit off-sync, Denney possibly underrotated, hand down), throw triple lutz (hand down) - nice return, not perfect but definitely feeling even more power and flow than before - TES 34.04, PCS 27.62, SP SCORE 61.66

Felicia Zhang/Nathan Bartholomay USA - triple twist, side-by-side triple toe (Bartholomay fall), throw triple lutz (fall) - definite improvements as a pair, too bad about the falls, great solid lift late in the short - TES 29.93, PCS 21.80, FALLS -2.00, SP SCORE 49.73

TSL are also doing a brief live play-by-play on their Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson

(As of 9:21 PM, Eastern Time)
The Skating Lesson ‏@SkatingLesson 6m
Good throw and twist from Castelli and Shnapir. He falls on 3 toe. Music cut unnecessary and uncalled for. #SLC2013
Expand

The Skating Lesson ‏@SkatingLesson 12m
Caydee Denney is fighting. Hand down on 3 toe and throw. Music starts on crescendo and blares. Very Evan Lysacek. #SLC2013
Expand

The Skating Lesson ‏@SkatingLesson 19m
Felicia and Nate. He falls on 3 toe. She falls on Throw 3lutz. Program not Olympic worthy. Very sectional champion. #SLC2013
Expand

The Skating Lesson ‏@SkatingLesson 24m
Pairs warming up. All 3 looking solid. #SLC2013
Expand

The Skating Lesson ‏@SkatingLesson 42m
Pairs event about to start! pic.twitter.com/QMBhNQFnRi