What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater? | Page 11 | Golden Skate

What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater?

yunabestever

Spectator
She has the best quality triple lutz, triple lutz-triple toe, triple flip, triple flip-triple toe, triple salchow, double axel, double axel-double toe, and triple toe in skating today. The only jump she isnt best in is triple loop but if she chose to do it would still be one of the best. She is probably the best spinner of the top ladies today, although Czisny and maybe Nagasu are better spinners they arent top 12 skaters in the World anymore. She is the best in footwork. She has the best presentation in almost all aspects. So combine that together and you have by far the dominant skater today.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
She is FAR from being the best spinner. Her Salchow is definitely not the best. Her footwork has never been the best technically, although choreographically it is often at the top.

Crystallize

On the Ice
She has the best quality triple lutz, triple lutz-triple toe, triple flip, triple flip-triple toe, triple salchow, double axel, double axel-double toe, and triple toe in skating today. The only jump she isnt best in is triple loop but if she chose to do it would still be one of the best. She is probably the best spinner of the top ladies today, although Czisny and maybe Nagasu are better spinners they arent top 12 skaters in the World anymore. She is the best in footwork. She has the best presentation in almost all aspects. So combine that together and you have by far the dominant skater today.

:rofl:

Crystallize

On the Ice
I give Yuna Kim credit. She is a great all-around skater. Fantastic. But best spinner? And she hasn't done the triple loop in years. So why automatically give her credit as being the best for that? Just because she's Yuna Kim?

Moment

Final Flight
Yuna may not be the single best spinner in the field, but she has enough strengths to qualify as one of the best. The same with footwork, actually more so than her spins.

+ superior edge quality
+ excellent execution of each turn and other skating movements
+ superior flow (high speed) and control of flow over the ice (effortless acceleration and deceleration)
+ superior control of upper body
+ excellent musicality

The only other skater who meets all these qualities is probably Carolina Kostner.

vera01

Final Flight
I give Yuna Kim credit. She is a great all-around skater. Fantastic. But best spinner? And she hasn't done the triple loop in years. So why automatically give her credit as being the best for that? Just because she's Yuna Kim?

I give her credit for being a best jumper(out of alll the skaters who're skating as a competitive skater right now) because:
1.She has most consistent jumps.
2.She doesn't flutz or lip.
3.She has best 3+3-which looks effortless.

It is true that she hasn't landed 3Lo in years, but many others weren't able to do 3Lz or 3F(meaning that they get edge calls on 3Lz or 3F), so I think there's no use in pointing out that she doesn't have 3Lo.

Is there any skater who's still competing that has better jumps than Yuna, in your opinion?

Crystallize

On the Ice
I give her credit for being a best jumper(out of alll the skaters who're skating as a competitive skater right now) because:
1.She has most consistent jumps.
2.She doesn't flutz or lip.
3.She has best 3+3-which looks effortless.

It is true that she hasn't landed 3Lo in years, but many others weren't able to do 3Lz or 3F(meaning that they get edge calls on 3Lz or 3F), so I think there's no use in pointing out that she doesn't have 3Lo.

Is there any skater who's still competing that has better jumps than Yuna, in your opinion?

Wow. You didn't see who I was responding to did you? :mad: I didn't even say that she wasn't the best jumper right now. I was responding to yunabestever's remarks that she would have the best loop. "why automatically give her credit as being the best for that?" I meant "that" as in the triple loop. I'm pointing it out because that person stated that her loop would be good just because. Mad because I don't think Yuna is the best at everything? Bye.

Crystallize

On the Ice
I'll go ahead and say this. I LOVE Carolina's jumps. And Gracie's, too. and here's another thing. I sometimes think they're better quality than Yuna's. *gasp* how dare I? I mean really. How do I live with myself?

Moment

Final Flight
Both Mao and Carolina have better steps than Yu-na.

Mao doesn't. Her difficult footwork is marred by mediocre edges, unclear execution, mediocre speed and flow, mediocre upper body control.

Other than the top two skaters, Akiko and Kiira has vastly superior edging and flow over their step sequences to Mao Asada.

vera01

Final Flight
Wow. You didn't see who I was responding to did you? :mad: I didn't even say that she wasn't the best jumper right now. I was responding to yunabestever's remarks that she would have the best loop. "why automatically give her credit as being the best for that?" I meant "that" as in the triple loop. I'm pointing it out because that person stated that her loop would be good just because. Mad because I don't think Yuna is the best at everything? Bye.

And yunabestever never said that she would have best loop, but one of the best, if she tried. And prior to making that statement, yunabestever actually admitted that her 3Lo is not the best today. Plus, your reply to yunabestever wasn't clear enough, thus the reason

Also, how would you know that I'm mad that you don't think Yuna is best at everything? I never stated the same thing in my previous post.

I'll go ahead and say this. I LOVE Carolina's jumps. And Gracie's, too. and here's another thing. I sometimes think they're better quality than Yuna's. *gasp* how dare I? I mean really. How do I live with myself?

Surprised that you didn't put Liza there, since I myself, even as a Yuna fan, think Liza's toe jumps' quality are on par with Yuna's, better than Caro's and much better than Gracie's. Anyway, not all Yuna fans think Yuna is best on everything(and additionally, bash on whoever that disagrees), and only one poster here has stated the similar thing. Many Yuna fans actually admit that some skaters are better than Yuna when it comes to steps/spins/etc.

Robeye

Final Flight
Please. In relation to the scale of the question, in the larger scheme of things, what with wars and recessions and famines and all, don't you think you're getting a little carried away with your sense of your own rhetorical daring? ;)

Anyone can say that they like or dislike anything. I personally think we fans tend to get worked up a bit too much with the hair-splitting.

My own view is that Yuna is the best in history in some things, the best currently skating in others, among the best in still others, excellent or very good in many aspects, depending on how you slice and dice the skill set, and "just" competent in a few areas. And that's enough for me to think she is one of the very best jumpers in history, and one of the select few best ladies skaters in history.

This does not mean that other skaters, such as Caro or Gracie, have not been, or cannot be, better than Yuna in some aspect or aspects at certain times.

But I'll put forward a general question for the readers of this thread: if, some months hence, someone had a gun to your head, and you had to choose a skater to win the jump portion of TES at, say, the Sochi Olympics to save your life, who would you choose? And what if there were, oh, a dozen or so fellow hostages, each with the same predicament, and everyone had to choose a different skater, first come first served?

I don't know about anyone else, but it would take me less than a tenth of a second to get my answer out, and I wouldn't think twice. Even then, I think my chances of getting my first choice would be exceedingly slim.

yuki

Final Flight
Mao doesn't. Her difficult footwork is marred by mediocre edges, unclear execution, mediocre speed and flow, mediocre upper body control.

Other than the top two skaters, Akiko and Kiira has vastly superior edging and flow over their step sequences to Mao Asada.

The judges clearly don't think so, since slow, mediocre Mao beat Yu-na in step sequence GOE in both phases of 2013 Worlds (and Carolina beat them both).

yuki

Final Flight
And? Where is your own reasoning?

I'm keeping it to myself, since I'm not a big fan of uber wars. I was just pointing out to you that the way they were scored on this element is pretty different from how you perceive them.

mary01

Final Flight

haha that's why Mao on regular basis get's level 4 on her steps, and has been one of the very few skaters who has had it for many years, the record doesn't lie.

Hands down, Mao is the skater who has the most exquisite steps, and in every single program of hers whether competitive or exhibition she has showcased that.....

Crystallize

On the Ice
And yunabestever never said that she would have best loop, but one of the best, if she tried. And prior to making that statement, yunabestever actually admitted that her 3Lo is not the best today. Plus, your reply to yunabestever wasn't clear enough, thus the reason

Also, how would you know that I'm mad that you don't think Yuna is best at everything? I never stated the same thing in my previous post.

Surprised that you didn't put Liza there, since I myself, even as a Yuna fan, think Liza's toe jumps' quality are on par with Yuna's, better than Caro's and much better than Gracie's. Anyway, not all Yuna fans think Yuna is best on everything(and additionally, bash on whoever that disagrees), and only one poster here has stated the similar thing. Many Yuna fans actually admit that some skaters are better than Yuna when it comes to steps/spins/etc.

They said it was not the best today because she wasn't doing it. "The only jump she isnt best in is triple loop but if she chose to do it would still be one of the best." I'm not saying anything further to you.

Crystallize

On the Ice
Please. In relation to the scale of the question, in the larger scheme of things, what with wars and recessions and famines and all, don't you think you're getting a little carried away with your sense of your own rhetorical daring? ;)

Anyone can say that they like or dislike anything. I personally think we fans tend to get worked up a bit too much with the hair-splitting.

My own view is that Yuna is the best in history in some things, the best currently skating in others, among the best in still others, excellent or very good in many aspects, depending on how you slice and dice the skill set, and "just" competent in a few areas. And that's enough for me to think she is one of the very best jumpers in history, and one of the select few best ladies skaters in history.

This does not mean that other skaters, such as Caro or Gracie, have not been, or cannot be, better than Yuna in some aspect or aspects at certain times.

But I'll put forward a general question for the readers of this thread: if, some months hence, someone had a gun to your head, and you had to choose a skater to win the jump portion of TES at, say, the Sochi Olympics to save your life, who would you choose? And what if there were, oh, a dozen or so fellow hostages, each with the same predicament, and everyone had to choose a different skater, first come first served?

I don't know about anyone else, but it would take me less than a tenth of a second to get my answer out, and I wouldn't think twice. Even then, I think my chances of getting my first choice would be exceedingly slim.

Seriously? You've only just further proven what I've thought from this forum. People are gonna have their owns opinions. I get that. I made a post asking someone why they thought Yuna Kim would easily have one of the best triple loops. That is all I asked. And then I make a sarcastic statement and I get all of this? Think about it. Plus, it's very, very obvious how much you like Yuna. Not everybody else does. Move on.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Moment said:

I'm not too sure what I just read.

Anyway, I'm not seeing how that is so much of a reasoning. I can just go ahead and say Maos footwork is not just difficult, she has very good flow throughout, nice edges, great posture and control of her whole body that really works like one part instead of a lower/upper body split that you see with many other skaters, and she can match her movements throughout well to the music.
So what? Just because you threw those "reasings" out doesn't mean they're true - I'd think someone pointing out the judges scores has more reasoning than you do. If you see things this way, than fine, but others can disagree with that (unless you want to prove them somehow).
Mao's speed is certainly not up to Yuna's/Caro's level, but I think I've never heard someone say Mao had mediocre flow over the ice.

Robeye

Final Flight
Seriously? You've only just further proven what I've thought from this forum. People are gonna have their owns opinions. I get that. I made a post asking someone why they thought Yuna Kim would easily have one of the best triple loops. That is all I asked. And then I make a sarcastic statement and I get all of this? Think about it. Plus, it's very, very obvious how much you like Yuna. Not everybody else does. Move on.
Sarcasm cuts both ways. If you can't stand the heat, then don't live by the sword, and all that (or is it the other way round?...)

I happen to agree that it's impossible to know with precision what Yuna's loop would be like if re-introduced into competition at this juncture. But, then, the fact that something is hypothetical hasn't stopped just about every other forum member from opining on a vast array of other questions, as far as I can see. Have you protested the myriad other such instances of counterfactual reasoning in this forum in recent weeks? I haven't seen it.

Which leads to the reason for my responding to you in the spirit in which your own post was written: you seemed very intent on using your dissatisfaction with the comments of one particular poster, on a question that is obviously hypothetical, to divide the world into pro- and anti- Yuna, and demonstrating your own intellectual/moral superiority to the former. That did not sit well with me, as a Yuna fan.

And what do you mean, exactly, by "it's very, very obvious how much you like Yuna. Not everybody else does. Move on"? Am I to take that to mean that you have every right to buttonhole and challenge Yuna fans about their preferences and opinions, but those who like Yuna are not allowed to question yours? I would suggest to you that just about everyone on this forum has strong and decided preferences. I would even venture to say that you do, too. When those preferences become more clear, I assume that, when you write about your preferences, you will not object to my saying "it is very, very clear how much you like [insert name here]. Not everyone does. Move on"?

In other words, I do not object to the substance of your original question regarding the hypothetical Yuna loop; it's a fair one, in my view. If not for your latest post, I might even have agreed with you. I do object, however, to how you have used the issue to satisfy what looks like a very large chip on your shoulder.

Perhaps it is because of all the ugly stuff that has been flying around recently, but the tone of your post pushed my buttons. I trust that thinking about it is not just something you recommend to others, but are willing to undergo yourself.