Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    I agree. I'd also like to bring up Nadia Comaneci, who was often criticized for not displaying any emotion during her gymnastics routines. Instead, she expressed her determination and drive through her technical perfection on the balance beam and uneven bars.

Yuna is the same -- not necessarily much facial expression, but her movements say it all.
    This is a very apt comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by torren View Post
    Some people can think that it is cheeky.
    Right you are. "Some people" think that.

Tripping on the Podium
    Can we simply ban Yuna Kim's topics from now on? It's becoming very repetitive and tiring.

Wait two or three years, someone among Gold, Osmond, Russian babies, or Li would be the tiring theme on these boards too.

Quote Originally Posted by McIce View Post
    Wait two or three years, someone among Gold, Osmond, Russian babies, or Li would be the tiring theme on these boards too.
    But what will we do in the meantimes?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Talk about the weather or inquire about the others' health until the season starts.

She rested for a few seasons, suddenly come back, took gold medal with attitude like "it's nothing"

I do not know her real mind. but that attitude really annoyed me
    So basically what you're saying is you hate Yuna b/c she won.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Unfortunate that this thread went from insightful and objective comments to straight trollery in some instances. :(

From reading through the posts my guess is some people don't like the fact that Yu-Na is a very good competitor who rarely makes a mistake big enough to knock her off the top. I get that. Oftentimes dislike is bred from success: you want your favorite, Skater A, to win yet Skater B always seems to come out on top. Chances are at some point you'll get annoyed with Skater B which is understandable.

Yu-Na comes out on top 9 times out of 10. I can admit sometimes I disagree with the scores she receives (at times they seem too high) but never once have I disagreed with the outcome of her winning. I think it's very fair to say that Yu-Na has earned everything she's accomplished. I can't think of one instance where the validity of one of her wins can be called into question.

So people may be annoyed with her winning all of the time, which as I said is understandable especially if you are rooting for someone else to win...but no one can (legitimately) dispute the fact that she deserved to win. To me that means you may not like her, but you have to respect her.
    Great post kwanatic! I can't help but get the impression that some people are just envious. Some of the sentiments expressed on this thread are basically:

She's too lucky--she only goes clean at Olympics and Worlds!
    She's wins too easily--she takes a long break, then comes back and wins by landslide!
    She's so arrogant--she wins then acts like it's nothing!

OK. Whatever. Such sentiments are lot more revealing about the individual poster than Yuna, though.

She rested for a few seasons, suddenly come back, took gold medal with attitude like "it's nothing"

I do not know her real mind. but that attitude really annoyed me
    uh oh. you're pissed because yuna destroyed your favorite skater/s at this year's worlds. it must be painful to expect yuna for not failing eh. let me guess you're one of those who wished she would have a miserable comeback. thank god yuna delivered and i can't stop laughing at you for now.. being the one who is miserable instead.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McIce View Post
    Can we simply ban Yuna Kim's topics from now on? It's becoming very repetitive and tiring.

I don't know. In my many years of skating fandom, I've never seen anything quite like the Mao vs. Yuna fan wars. There are massive cultural and historical forces at work. As much as I hate how it muddles up my Youtube searches (among other pesky effects), I actually kind of enjoy the thought that figure skating can be this important to such huge groups of people. Once Yuna and Mao retire, likely after Sochi, skating's popularity will take a hit in their countries, cutting off considerable revenue and opportunity for all the skaters we like. It's the rivalry that draws attention. This repetitive tiredness is putting food into the mouths of skating babies all over the world. Show some respect for it!

The Yuna worship in this board gets annoying sometimes. I found this board is dangerous for a Mao fan. After some comments here you might question her greatness. Thankfully, I can be reminded by youtube videos. Some people use their fandom to put other skaters down. The way some Yuna fans talk about Mao is discusting. Sometimes I want to say: Where is their": two time world gold medal, 3 GPF gold medals, and olympic silver medals no those people who sit there an put Mao down dont have any of those.

Furthermore, can you attempt a triple axel, have you re work your jumping technique from schratch. So spare me your unobjective criticisim of other skaters and the unreasonable Yuna worship without aknonwlegment of any weaknessess she might have

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    The Yuna worship in this board gets annoying sometimes. I found this board is dangerous for a Mao fan. After some comments here you might question her greatness. Thankfully, I can be reminded by youtube videos. Some people use their fandom to put other skaters down. The way some Yuna fans talk about Mao is discusting. Sometimes I want to say: Where is their": two time world gold medal, 3 GPF gold medals, and olympic silver medals no those people who sit there an put Mao down dont have any of those.

Furthermore, can you attempt a triple axel, have you re work your jumping technique from schratch. So spare me your unobjective criticisim of other skaters and the unreasonable Yuna worship without aknonwlegment of any weaknessess she might have
    When I look at Mao's achievements, not just in terms of medal counts but in terms of what she has been able to put out on ice over the entire arc of her career, there is no question in my mind that she is one of the greats; in many other cycles she would have dominated, IMO. I think you are right that there are some who refuse to give Mao her full due, which is an injustice.

Taking this thought a little further, though, I often feel that this is part of a vicious cycle that was, and still is, mutually created by the enthusiastic but less judicious fans of both skaters.

Fans of Yuna may feel that that Mao fans are always trying to bring Yuna down, attempting to downplay the magnitude of her achievements, always whining that she is overscored, even when she skates just about perfectly, or endlessly nitpicking about things such as toe-point, etc. This creates a backlash in which some Yuna fans return the favor in equal measure, and in kind.

One can hardly say at this point who or what started it, who or what was originally to blame. All that can be known at this point is that it has become a cycle of attack unfailingly followed by reprisal, without end.

We also see specimens such as let's talk, who has trollishly succeeded in riling up some of Yuna's fans with her odd, voices-in-her-head mutterings, which go back at least to the Vancouver Olympics, about a Yuna conspiracy that has corrupted the skating world. I personally do not think that he/she is primarily motivated by allegiance to Mao, but rather by some strange, Iago-like hatred of Yuna's success.

But some of Yuna's fans, I think, have mistaken let's talk for a Mao fan, and in their anger have retaliated accordingly. This situation is compounded by the fact that no acknowledged Mao fan (I am not talking about those "who like both" or "love skating") has voiced any objections to that poster's outrageous ramblings, which may lead some of Yuna's more emotional fans to take to mean that either Mao fans recognize let's talk as one of their own number, or that her comments are a reflection of the unspoken sentiments of the wider group of Mao fans.

After doing my best to ignore his/her unattractive rants, I feel obliged to call let's talk out because the ugliness that (s)he quite deliberately stirred up was, unhappily, not transient or localized, but has metastasized. One can see it in several poisoned and ruined threads, in the renewal of the overwrought sniping between Mao and Yuna fans, in the noticeably elevated mean-spiritedness of atmosphere.

So, Minze2001, I'll echo Lenin's famous question: what is to be done? As there are no organized World Committees of the Fans of Mao/Yuna, a grand summit is obviously not possible. I believe that all we can do is to try to individually practice what we preach. In other words, it is not enough to merely complain that other fans are not giving one's favorite her due. We must give others (those skaters who are not our favorite) their due in our turn.

What else can we do? Try to deal only with those who practice the above, and ignore/condemn the haters, the baiters, and the trolls. This doesn't mean that we need to act like we have all been lobotomized, mindlessly grinning and liking everything equally. It merely means that we seek at least some minimum threshold of reason and fairness in those we choose to engage in discussion, and that we start things off by displaying those qualities first, if necessary . I will certainly try to do better as a fan of Yuna .

Those are some of my attempts at suggesting constructive recourse. What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    When I look at Mao's achievements, not just in terms of medal counts but in terms of what she has been able to put out on ice over the entire arc of her career, there is no question in my mind that she is one of the greats; in many other cycles she would have dominated, IMO. I think you are right that there are some who refuse to give Mao her full due, which is an injustice.

Taking this thought a little further, though, I often feel that this is part of vicious cycle that was, and still is, mutually created by the enthusiastic but less judicious fans of both skaters.

Fans of Yuna may feel that that Mao fans are always trying to bring Yuna down, attempting to downplay the magnitude of her achievements, always whining that she is overscored, even when she skates just about perfectly, or endlessly nitpicking about things such as toe-point, etc. This creates a backlash in which some Yuna fans return the favor in equal measure, and in kind.

One can hardly say at this point who or what started it, who or what was originally to blame. All that can be known at this point is that it has become a cycle of attack unfailingly followed by reprisal, without end.

We also see specimens such as let's talk, who has trollishly succeeded in riling up some of Yuna's fans with her odd, voices-in-her-head mutterings, which go back at least to the Vancouver Olympics, about a Yuna conspiracy that has corrupted the skating world. I personally do not think that he/she is primarily motivated by allegiance to Mao, but rather by some strange, Iago-like hatred of Yuna's success.

But some of Yuna's fans, I think, have mistaken let's talk for a Mao fan, and in their anger have retaliated accordingly. This situation is compounded by the fact that no acknowledged Mao fan (I am not talking about those "who like both" or "love skating") has voiced any objections to that poster's outrageous ramblings, which may lead some of Yuna's more emotional fans to take to mean that either Mao fans recognize let's talk as one of their own number, or that her comments are a reflection of the unspoken sentiments of the wider group of Mao fans.

After doing my best to ignore his/her unattractive rants, I feel obliged to call let's talk out because the ugliness that (s)he quite deliberately stirred up was, unhappily, not transient or localized, but has metastasized. One can see it in several poisoned and ruined threads, in the renewal of the overwrought sniping between Mao and Yuna fans, in the noticeably elevated mean-spiritedness of atmosphere.

So, Minze2001, I'll echo Lenin's famous question: what is to be done? As there are no organized World Committees of the Fans of Mao/Yuna, a grand summit is obviously not possible. I believe that all we can do is to try to individually practice what we preach. In other words, it is not enough to merely complain that other fans are not giving one's favorite her due. We must give others (those skaters who are not our favorite) their due in our turn.

What else can we do? Try to deal only with those who practice the above, and ignore/condemn the haters, the baiters, and the trolls. This doesn't mean that we need to act like we have all been lobotomized, mindlessly grinning and liking everything equally. It merely means that we seek at least some minimum threshold of reason and fairness in those we choose to engage in discussion, and that we start things off by displaying those qualities first, if necessary . I will certainly try to do better as a fan of Yuna .

Those are some of my attempts at suggesting constructive recourse. What are your thoughts?

Beautiful Response. Only suggestion: Respect eachother, skaters, and fandoms. Ignore trolls on both side and engage posters with constructive, objective and fair analysis.

Custom Title
    I very much respect your comment, Robeye. It's been hard to weed through the vitriol to get to the sincere examination of both skaters' qualities. I persevere because it's been both enjoyable and enlightening to hear well-informed fans talk about what makes each of these superior skaters so extraordinary. Fortunately, a lot of fans have hung in there even in the noisiest threads to offer their expertise and to speculate on the upcoming season for two of the best skaters who have ever taken to the ice.

I know what you mean about threads' being poisoned. Several times lately, I've thought, "Who needs this stress?" I almost shut the door on those spats and moved on. But then I reconsidered. Why should any of us be chased away from talking about two of our favorite current ladies' skaters? We have just as much right to be here as anyone.

So...let's continue.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    She never falls.

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast