What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater? | Page 13 | Golden Skate

What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater?

jatale

On the Ice
All Adam said is that HE never saw a clean run through, he didn't say he was there EVERY single time Yuna practiced. For all we know, he may have witnessed only a small percentage of her practice skates. This whole line of questioning his cred is just ridiculous IMO.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
All Adam said is that HE never saw a clean run through, he didn't say he was there EVERY single time Yuna practiced. For all we know, he may have witnessed only a small percentage of her practice skates. This whole line of questioning his cred is just ridiculous IMO.

I wasn't going to say anything but this is what I was thinking. He made one comment regarding Yu-Na's ability to do a clean run-thru and people are now questioning him. :laugh: I doubt if Adam was glued to Yu-Na's side the whole time she was there so in context of him saying he'd never seen her do a clean practice, I think people should stop reading into the comment and pay attention to what was said. Adam himself never saw her do a clean practice but that doesn't mean she didn't.

Craziness...

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why is it surprising that Adam never saw Yu Na do a clean run-through of her long program in practice when she hardly ever did a clean long program in competition?

Adam wasn't in Vancouver, was he? I doubt if he knew how Yuna's practices were going at the Olympics.

He knew, because Yu Na called him to tell him that she had done a clean run-through in Vancouver.

bebevia

On the Ice
ALTHOUGH, Jenny & Dave seemed quietly happy to hear SOMETHING about Yuna to talk about. They're respectful and all, yet seemed really unhappy to hear every past interviewee saying the same generic good girl descriptions (although they are true) with no specific detail. Adam seemed more relieved than enthusiastic to say something new under their "SAY SOMETHING ELSE" pressure. It's not an ill pursuit; it's natural to seek sensations, and it's part of intention to discover her.

Then again, we're all assuming.

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
Yu-Na is THE BEST EVER and that distinguishes her from other skaters.

Gracie Gold has the potential to become ... THE SKATER AFTER YU-NA.

McIce

Rinkside
Why is it surprising that Adam never saw Yu Na do a clean run-through of her long program in practice when she hardly ever did a clean long program in competition?
This logic sounds so flawed.

Probability wise, clean run-through in practice >> clean LP in competition.

What you said is basically probability wise clean LP in competition > clean run-through in practice.

prettykeys

Medalist
I wasn't going to say anything but this is what I was thinking. He made one comment regarding Yu-Na's ability to do a clean run-thru and people are now questioning him. :laugh: I doubt if Adam was glued to Yu-Na's side the whole time she was there so in context of him saying he'd never seen her do a clean practice, I think people should stop reading into the comment and pay attention to what was said. Adam himself never saw her do a clean practice but that doesn't mean she didn't.

Craziness...
I don't know if you were referring to or including me in the Adam Rippon "doubters"...but I wanted to clarify that I wasn't "doubting him." To explain my surprise, I guess I just imagined that YuNa would have done clean run-throughs more frequently/routinely such that at least at ONE point where they shared the practices together, he would have seen her do it. I guess not.

His intonation and words are interesting, too. It's like he held her mental strength in such high esteem that it didn't surprise him that her practices in Vancouver, and finally her performances, came together clean despite him never witnessing it before.

Very kind words from Adam. :yes:

mskater93

Record Breaker
I guess I just imagined that YuNa would have done clean run-throughs more frequently/routinely such that at least at ONE point where they shared the practices together, he would have seen her do it. I guess not.

Just because she would be doing a run through doesn't mean that Adam was paying absolute attention to the program she was skating. He DID have to train for his own skating, so it's possible he may have missed any clean run throughs she did in Toronto.

bara1968

On the Ice
IMO the most fascinating about Yuna is that she has champion's heart. When she determines to win, she wins big.

+ Her jumps are just top notch one can dream of. Height, flow, intricated enterance (no problem!), speed into jump, effortlessness, consistency... and her special ability to make jump look as if it is merely one component of entire program /or more likely she jumps only to complete the whole program is phenomenal.

The latter made me huge fan of Yuna along with her beautiful presentation skills. I love her 2007-2008 season programs a lot in that she moves so lively within beautiful music! I hope that she can continue to maintain her current physical condition and win Olympic medal(for me, not necessarily gold) to be remembered as legend for a long time. :)

Sara

On the Ice
I didn't quite know to which thread I should post this following link, but as we know David Wilson has had a great impact on Yuna's skating so I'll add the link here. I found a really good old interview of David Wilson, definitely worth watching! I really like him, he is so talented, sweet and sincere!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Z-1oNCSJU

RABID

Final Flight
As a Yuna fan, I always refrain from commenting on her rivals. I never discuss a particular lady skater unless she is 'safely' distanced from Yuna in terms of age and/or skating skills. I'm not saying everyone should follow my example, but I believe my attitude saved me from a lot of unnecessary bickering.

As a Yu-Na fan I love anything and everything that accents her magnificence. And for that reason I don't get the hate for Mao by some misguided fans, almost solely on Youtube. In my view I like the idea that Mao is one of the greatest skaters ever. To say something like Mao sucks only diminishes the quality of my skater. I am so glad that Yu-Na has skated in this era basically because of the strength of the Japanese ladies and because the competitions with her and them have been memorable. That last group in the Olympic free skate was brilliant and one of the best and most memorable competitions ever and my girl came out on top of THAT group and by a large margin.... What is to hate? I think a lot of Yu-Na fans feel as I do although I acknowledge it is easier to be charitable when on top. On the other hand I see a lot more mean spirited comments directed at her and her fans here and everywhere.

Robeye

Final Flight
As a Yu-Na fan I love anything and everything that accents her magnificence. And for that reason I don't get the hate for Mao by some misguided fans, almost solely on Youtube. In my view I like the idea that Mao is one of the greatest skaters ever. To say something like Mao sucks only diminishes the quality of my skater. I am so glad that Yu-Na has skated in this era basically because of the strength of the Japanese ladies and because the competitions with her and them have been memorable. That last group in the Olympic free skate was brilliant and one of the best and most memorable competitions ever and my girl came out on top of THAT group and by a large margin.... What is to hate? I think a lot of Yu-Na fans feel as I do although I acknowledge it is easier to be charitable when on top. On the other hand I see a lot more mean spirited comments directed at her and her fans here and everywhere.
Exactly, RABID. What would Achilles be without Hector? Just a wrathful schmoe in a skirt with a spear. Affirmed without Alydar? Nicklaus without Palmer? Captain America without Red Skull? (um, strike that last :laugh:)

Just as much as one's performance, it is the quality of the competition that gives stature and gravitas to a career. Athletes, Homer, and screenwriters of blockbuster movies (who are in some ways Homer's spiritual successors) all know this.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
The length of Yuna's jump is out of this world, I knew Yuna has big jump. But recently, I re-watched Yuna's olympic LP fan cam. And that 3Lz-3T really surprised me, The length of the first Lz of the combo (from where she leave the ice to landing) is almost 3 times her body length. And most of her other jump scales are around 2 times her body length as well. Then, I watched some other lady skaters and even men skaters. Nobody seems trumps her in this. EXCEPT FOR Patrick's early years 3A (3-4 times his body length Gosh). I am really amazed.

Exactly!

This is in its way like the great tennis rivalries, such as Federer/Nadal, Borg/McEnroe, and Sampras/Agassi. Maybe I'm just greedy but my philosophy is, why wish for one champion alone when I can have two?