Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 394

Thread: What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater?

  1. #196
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,224
    Without her triple-triple and her lutz, both of which are truly outstanding, Yu Na would be viewed on a par with the top skaters, not superior. While I agree that she is probably the second best ladies jumper of all time, after Midori Ito, it's worth noting that she does not do the triple loop.

  2. #197
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Without her triple-triple and her lutz, both of which are truly outstanding, Yu Na would be viewed on a par with the top skaters, not superior. While I agree that she is probably the second best ladies jumper of all time, after Midori Ito, it's worth noting that she does not do the triple loop.
    This kind of claim can be applied to anyone.

    Without the outstanding skating skill, Carolina would be viewed on a par with the top skaters (There are a lot of skaters with good to great musicality anyway.)

    Without the 3A and maybe the flexible but somewhat slow spins/sprials, Mao would be viewed on a par with the top skaters (You can't claim gentle, beautiful balletic style is undoubtedly superior to all the other styles).

    I don't understand why someone insists taking out certain skater's best skills then comparing him/her to the rest of the field? Is that fair assessment?

    No one is perfect. In the entire history of figure skating's single discipline, we haven't had an all-round perfect skater and probably will never be. That's why there's competition, otherwise we could send that skater's all the gold medals then go home.

  3. #198
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,224
    The question is why do some find Yu Na superior--presumably to skaters like Carolina, Mao, Akiko, etc. If Yu Na didn't have her consistent, strong jumps, she would not be superior to those skaters. Mao and Caro currently are among the top skaters. Take away their best skills--artistry and an occasional completed 3A for Mao and speed, artistry and skating skills for Caro-- and they would fall to the rank of, say, Ashley Wagner or Kanako Murakami. It's all relative.

  4. #199
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    It is wishful thinking to believe Kim without her best jumps would be seen as on par with second tier skaters like Suzuki, Wagner, and Murakami. She easily outscores such skaters in every single department of skating and crushes them on PCS.

  5. #200
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    If Yu Na didn't have her consistent, strong jumps, she would not be superior to those skaters.
    Basically this is still what I find flawed. Without skaters' best skills, of course he/she wouldn't be superior.

    In my opinion, Kim is definitely superior of being competitive skater under current judging system, because her strong skills are what matters the most in COP (big jumps, adequate spins/spirals, nature sense of musicality, good skating skills, fluid/smooth style). Other skaters are more or less not that good/consistent at the most deciding factors of COP scoring. Scores don't lie.

    However, IMO, judging by pure skating (from their qualities and EX), she's not superior. Carolina and Mao are more adventurous and pleasant to watch.

  6. #201
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    8
    She has the best quality triple lutz, triple lutz-triple toe, triple flip, triple flip-triple toe, triple salchow, double axel, double axel-double toe, and triple toe in skating today. The only jump she isnt best in is triple loop but if she chose to do it would still be one of the best. She is probably the best spinner of the top ladies today, although Czisny and maybe Nagasu are better spinners they arent top 12 skaters in the World anymore. She is the best in footwork. She has the best presentation in almost all aspects. So combine that together and you have by far the dominant skater today.

  7. #202
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,966
    She is FAR from being the best spinner. Her Salchow is definitely not the best. Her footwork has never been the best technically, although choreographically it is often at the top.

  8. #203
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by yunabestever View Post
    She has the best quality triple lutz, triple lutz-triple toe, triple flip, triple flip-triple toe, triple salchow, double axel, double axel-double toe, and triple toe in skating today. The only jump she isnt best in is triple loop but if she chose to do it would still be one of the best. She is probably the best spinner of the top ladies today, although Czisny and maybe Nagasu are better spinners they arent top 12 skaters in the World anymore. She is the best in footwork. She has the best presentation in almost all aspects. So combine that together and you have by far the dominant skater today.

  9. #204
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    143
    I give Yuna Kim credit. She is a great all-around skater. Fantastic. But best spinner? And she hasn't done the triple loop in years. So why automatically give her credit as being the best for that? Just because she's Yuna Kim?

  10. #205
    ~high art~
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    636
    Yuna may not be the single best spinner in the field, but she has enough strengths to qualify as one of the best. The same with footwork, actually more so than her spins.

    + superior edge quality
    + excellent execution of each turn and other skating movements
    + superior flow (high speed) and control of flow over the ice (effortless acceleration and deceleration)
    + superior control of upper body
    + excellent musicality

    The only other skater who meets all these qualities is probably Carolina Kostner.

  11. #206
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystallize View Post
    I give Yuna Kim credit. She is a great all-around skater. Fantastic. But best spinner? And she hasn't done the triple loop in years. So why automatically give her credit as being the best for that? Just because she's Yuna Kim?
    I give her credit for being a best jumper(out of alll the skaters who're skating as a competitive skater right now) because:
    1.She has most consistent jumps.
    2.She doesn't flutz or lip.
    3.She has best 3+3-which looks effortless.

    It is true that she hasn't landed 3Lo in years, but many others weren't able to do 3Lz or 3F(meaning that they get edge calls on 3Lz or 3F), so I think there's no use in pointing out that she doesn't have 3Lo.

    Is there any skater who's still competing that has better jumps than Yuna, in your opinion?

  12. #207
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by vera01 View Post
    I give her credit for being a best jumper(out of alll the skaters who're skating as a competitive skater right now) because:
    1.She has most consistent jumps.
    2.She doesn't flutz or lip.
    3.She has best 3+3-which looks effortless.

    It is true that she hasn't landed 3Lo in years, but many others weren't able to do 3Lz or 3F(meaning that they get edge calls on 3Lz or 3F), so I think there's no use in pointing out that she doesn't have 3Lo.

    Is there any skater who's still competing that has better jumps than Yuna, in your opinion?
    Wow. You didn't see who I was responding to did you? I didn't even say that she wasn't the best jumper right now. I was responding to yunabestever's remarks that she would have the best loop. "why automatically give her credit as being the best for that?" I meant "that" as in the triple loop. I'm pointing it out because that person stated that her loop would be good just because. Mad because I don't think Yuna is the best at everything? Bye.

  13. #208
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    143
    I'll go ahead and say this. I LOVE Carolina's jumps. And Gracie's, too. and here's another thing. I sometimes think they're better quality than Yuna's. *gasp* how dare I? I mean really. How do I live with myself?

  14. #209
    Custom Title yuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by yunabestever View Post
    She is the best in footwork.
    Both Mao and Carolina have better steps than Yu-na.

  15. #210
    ~high art~
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    636
    Quote Originally Posted by yuki View Post
    Both Mao and Carolina have better steps than Yu-na.
    Mao doesn't. Her difficult footwork is marred by mediocre edges, unclear execution, mediocre speed and flow, mediocre upper body control.

    Other than the top two skaters, Akiko and Kiira has vastly superior edging and flow over their step sequences to Mao Asada.

Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •