Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 394

Thread: What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater?

  1. #211
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystallize View Post
    Wow. You didn't see who I was responding to did you? I didn't even say that she wasn't the best jumper right now. I was responding to yunabestever's remarks that she would have the best loop. "why automatically give her credit as being the best for that?" I meant "that" as in the triple loop. I'm pointing it out because that person stated that her loop would be good just because. Mad because I don't think Yuna is the best at everything? Bye.
    And yunabestever never said that she would have best loop, but one of the best, if she tried. And prior to making that statement, yunabestever actually admitted that her 3Lo is not the best today. Plus, your reply to yunabestever wasn't clear enough, thus the reason

    Also, how would you know that I'm mad that you don't think Yuna is best at everything? I never stated the same thing in my previous post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crystallize View Post
    I'll go ahead and say this. I LOVE Carolina's jumps. And Gracie's, too. and here's another thing. I sometimes think they're better quality than Yuna's. *gasp* how dare I? I mean really. How do I live with myself?
    Surprised that you didn't put Liza there, since I myself, even as a Yuna fan, think Liza's toe jumps' quality are on par with Yuna's, better than Caro's and much better than Gracie's. Anyway, not all Yuna fans think Yuna is best on everything(and additionally, bash on whoever that disagrees), and only one poster here has stated the similar thing. Many Yuna fans actually admit that some skaters are better than Yuna when it comes to steps/spins/etc.

  2. #212
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystallize View Post
    I'll go ahead and say this. I LOVE Carolina's jumps. And Gracie's, too. and here's another thing. I sometimes think they're better quality than Yuna's. *gasp* how dare I? I mean really. How do I live with myself?
    Please. In relation to the scale of the question, in the larger scheme of things, what with wars and recessions and famines and all, don't you think you're getting a little carried away with your sense of your own rhetorical daring?

    Anyone can say that they like or dislike anything. I personally think we fans tend to get worked up a bit too much with the hair-splitting.

    My own view is that Yuna is the best in history in some things, the best currently skating in others, among the best in still others, excellent or very good in many aspects, depending on how you slice and dice the skill set, and "just" competent in a few areas. And that's enough for me to think she is one of the very best jumpers in history, and one of the select few best ladies skaters in history.

    This does not mean that other skaters, such as Caro or Gracie, have not been, or cannot be, better than Yuna in some aspect or aspects at certain times.

    But I'll put forward a general question for the readers of this thread: if, some months hence, someone had a gun to your head, and you had to choose a skater to win the jump portion of TES at, say, the Sochi Olympics to save your life, who would you choose? And what if there were, oh, a dozen or so fellow hostages, each with the same predicament, and everyone had to choose a different skater, first come first served?

    I don't know about anyone else, but it would take me less than a tenth of a second to get my answer out, and I wouldn't think twice. Even then, I think my chances of getting my first choice would be exceedingly slim.

  3. #213
    Custom Title yuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    Mao doesn't. Her difficult footwork is marred by mediocre edges, unclear execution, mediocre speed and flow, mediocre upper body control.

    Other than the top two skaters, Akiko and Kiira has vastly superior edging and flow over their step sequences to Mao Asada.
    The judges clearly don't think so, since slow, mediocre Mao beat Yu-na in step sequence GOE in both phases of 2013 Worlds (and Carolina beat them both).

  4. #214
    ~high art~
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    636
    Quote Originally Posted by yuki View Post
    The judges clearly don't think so, since slow, mediocre Mao beat Yu-na in step sequence GOE in both phases of 2013 Worlds (and Carolina beat them both).
    And? Where is your own reasoning?

  5. #215
    Custom Title yuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    And? Where is your own reasoning?
    I'm keeping it to myself, since I'm not a big fan of uber wars. I was just pointing out to you that the way they were scored on this element is pretty different from how you perceive them.

  6. #216
    Custom Title mary01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    Mao doesn't. Her difficult footwork is marred by mediocre edges, unclear execution, mediocre speed and flow, mediocre upper body control.

    Other than the top two skaters, Akiko and Kiira has vastly superior edging and flow over their step sequences to Mao Asada.
    haha that's why Mao on regular basis get's level 4 on her steps, and has been one of the very few skaters who has had it for many years, the record doesn't lie.

    Hands down, Mao is the skater who has the most exquisite steps, and in every single program of hers whether competitive or exhibition she has showcased that.....

  7. #217
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by vera01 View Post
    And yunabestever never said that she would have best loop, but one of the best, if she tried. And prior to making that statement, yunabestever actually admitted that her 3Lo is not the best today. Plus, your reply to yunabestever wasn't clear enough, thus the reason

    Also, how would you know that I'm mad that you don't think Yuna is best at everything? I never stated the same thing in my previous post.



    Surprised that you didn't put Liza there, since I myself, even as a Yuna fan, think Liza's toe jumps' quality are on par with Yuna's, better than Caro's and much better than Gracie's. Anyway, not all Yuna fans think Yuna is best on everything(and additionally, bash on whoever that disagrees), and only one poster here has stated the similar thing. Many Yuna fans actually admit that some skaters are better than Yuna when it comes to steps/spins/etc.
    They said it was not the best today because she wasn't doing it. "The only jump she isnt best in is triple loop but if she chose to do it would still be one of the best." I'm not saying anything further to you.

  8. #218
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    Please. In relation to the scale of the question, in the larger scheme of things, what with wars and recessions and famines and all, don't you think you're getting a little carried away with your sense of your own rhetorical daring?

    Anyone can say that they like or dislike anything. I personally think we fans tend to get worked up a bit too much with the hair-splitting.

    My own view is that Yuna is the best in history in some things, the best currently skating in others, among the best in still others, excellent or very good in many aspects, depending on how you slice and dice the skill set, and "just" competent in a few areas. And that's enough for me to think she is one of the very best jumpers in history, and one of the select few best ladies skaters in history.

    This does not mean that other skaters, such as Caro or Gracie, have not been, or cannot be, better than Yuna in some aspect or aspects at certain times.

    But I'll put forward a general question for the readers of this thread: if, some months hence, someone had a gun to your head, and you had to choose a skater to win the jump portion of TES at, say, the Sochi Olympics to save your life, who would you choose? And what if there were, oh, a dozen or so fellow hostages, each with the same predicament, and everyone had to choose a different skater, first come first served?

    I don't know about anyone else, but it would take me less than a tenth of a second to get my answer out, and I wouldn't think twice. Even then, I think my chances of getting my first choice would be exceedingly slim.
    Seriously? You've only just further proven what I've thought from this forum. People are gonna have their owns opinions. I get that. I made a post asking someone why they thought Yuna Kim would easily have one of the best triple loops. That is all I asked. And then I make a sarcastic statement and I get all of this? Think about it. Plus, it's very, very obvious how much you like Yuna. Not everybody else does. Move on.

  9. #219
    Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment
    Mao doesn't. Her difficult footwork is marred by mediocre edges, unclear execution, mediocre speed and flow, mediocre upper body control.
    I'm not too sure what I just read.

    Anyway, I'm not seeing how that is so much of a reasoning. I can just go ahead and say Maos footwork is not just difficult, she has very good flow throughout, nice edges, great posture and control of her whole body that really works like one part instead of a lower/upper body split that you see with many other skaters, and she can match her movements throughout well to the music.
    So what? Just because you threw those "reasings" out doesn't mean they're true - I'd think someone pointing out the judges scores has more reasoning than you do. If you see things this way, than fine, but others can disagree with that (unless you want to prove them somehow).
    Mao's speed is certainly not up to Yuna's/Caro's level, but I think I've never heard someone say Mao had mediocre flow over the ice.

  10. #220
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystallize View Post
    Seriously? You've only just further proven what I've thought from this forum. People are gonna have their owns opinions. I get that. I made a post asking someone why they thought Yuna Kim would easily have one of the best triple loops. That is all I asked. And then I make a sarcastic statement and I get all of this? Think about it. Plus, it's very, very obvious how much you like Yuna. Not everybody else does. Move on.
    Sarcasm cuts both ways. If you can't stand the heat, then don't live by the sword, and all that (or is it the other way round?...)

    I happen to agree that it's impossible to know with precision what Yuna's loop would be like if re-introduced into competition at this juncture. But, then, the fact that something is hypothetical hasn't stopped just about every other forum member from opining on a vast array of other questions, as far as I can see. Have you protested the myriad other such instances of counterfactual reasoning in this forum in recent weeks? I haven't seen it.

    Which leads to the reason for my responding to you in the spirit in which your own post was written: you seemed very intent on using your dissatisfaction with the comments of one particular poster, on a question that is obviously hypothetical, to divide the world into pro- and anti- Yuna, and demonstrating your own intellectual/moral superiority to the former. That did not sit well with me, as a Yuna fan.

    And what do you mean, exactly, by "it's very, very obvious how much you like Yuna. Not everybody else does. Move on"? Am I to take that to mean that you have every right to buttonhole and challenge Yuna fans about their preferences and opinions, but those who like Yuna are not allowed to question yours? I would suggest to you that just about everyone on this forum has strong and decided preferences. I would even venture to say that you do, too. When those preferences become more clear, I assume that, when you write about your preferences, you will not object to my saying "it is very, very clear how much you like [insert name here]. Not everyone does. Move on"?

    In other words, I do not object to the substance of your original question regarding the hypothetical Yuna loop; it's a fair one, in my view. If not for your latest post, I might even have agreed with you. I do object, however, to how you have used the issue to satisfy what looks like a very large chip on your shoulder.

    Perhaps it is because of all the ugly stuff that has been flying around recently, but the tone of your post pushed my buttons. I trust that thinking about it is not just something you recommend to others, but are willing to undergo yourself.

  11. #221
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    Mao doesn't. Her difficult footwork is marred by mediocre edges, unclear execution, mediocre speed and flow, mediocre upper body control.

    Other than the top two skaters, Akiko and Kiira has vastly superior edging and flow over their step sequences to Mao Asada.
    I have to say, I've always seen Mao's footwork as among the best of the ladies today. When Yuna is fully committed to training and in top gear, though, she's pretty good too , as the scores will attest.

  12. #222
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    But, then, the fact that something is hypothetical hasn't stopped just about every other forum member from opining on a vast array of other questions...
    Indeed. If Cecelia College had been born 70 years later and had been coached by Tatiana Tarasova she would have scored 203.86 points at the 2010 Olympics (I can list her elements, with GOEs, if you don't believe me) and edged Joannie Rochette for the bronze.

    On the other hand, there are some things that we can all agree on. If Tonya Harding had been Shizuka Arakawa she would have had a great Ina Bauer.

  13. #223
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Indeed. If Cecelia College had been born 70 years later and had been coached by Tatiana Tarasova she would have scored 203.86 points at the 2010 Olympics (I can list her elements, with GOEs, if you don't believe me) and edged Joannie Rochette for the bronze.

    On the other hand, there are some things that we can all agree on. If Tonya Harding had been Shizuka Arakawa she would have had a great Ina Bauer.
    Indeed.

  14. #224
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    Sarcasm cuts both ways. If you can't stand the heat, then don't live by the sword, and all that (or is it the other way round?...)

    I happen to agree that it's impossible to know with precision what Yuna's loop would be like if re-introduced into competition at this juncture. But, then, the fact that something is hypothetical hasn't stopped just about every other forum member from opining on a vast array of other questions, as far as I can see. Have you protested the myriad other such instances of counterfactual reasoning in this forum in recent weeks? I haven't seen it.

    Which leads to the reason for my responding to you in the spirit in which your own post was written: you seemed very intent on using your dissatisfaction with the comments of one particular poster, on a question that is obviously hypothetical, to divide the world into pro- and anti- Yuna, and demonstrating your own intellectual/moral superiority to the former. That did not sit well with me, as a Yuna fan.

    And what do you mean, exactly, by "it's very, very obvious how much you like Yuna. Not everybody else does. Move on"? Am I to take that to mean that you have every right to buttonhole and challenge Yuna fans about their preferences and opinions, but those who like Yuna are not allowed to question yours? I would suggest to you that just about everyone on this forum has strong and decided preferences. I would even venture to say that you do, too. When those preferences become more clear, I assume that, when you write about your preferences, you will not object to my saying "it is very, very clear how much you like [insert name here]. Not everyone does. Move on"?

    In other words, I do not object to the substance of your original question regarding the hypothetical Yuna loop; it's a fair one, in my view. If not for your latest post, I might even have agreed with you. I do object, however, to how you have used the issue to satisfy what looks like a very large chip on your shoulder.

    Perhaps it is because of all the ugly stuff that has been flying around recently, but the tone of your post pushed my buttons. I trust that thinking about it is not just something you recommend to others, but are willing to undergo yourself.
    If you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the kitchen. okay. You came at me first. I'm trying not to be hostile, but you were offended by my sarcasm, so oh well. Chip on my shoulder? Nope. And you're questioning what I've posted in the past few weeks? Are you kidding? I admit that I don't post often, okay? Geez. I'm not an unfair person like you assume. From what I've seen, you challenge anyone who gives criticism to Yuna. What gives? I stated what I thought, but I was misunderstood clearly. I stated things the way I did because you questioned me first just because I pointed out something about a specific user's post. And I was responding to that one person! I was NOT lumping all of Yuna's fans together. You jumped on me first. It's obvious you were offended, but I don't care. The tone of your post has pushed my buttons as well. And I'm not delving into anything. But I'm honestly done. Do you assume that I'm an Anti-Yuna fan or something or that I hate all her fans? LOL. alright. I should add that figure skating is only a casual interest for me. I'm pretty neutral right now.

  15. #225
    Adiós Melon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystallize View Post
    If you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the kitchen. okay.
    This phrase reminds me of someone....especially someone who's recently been banned

    Anyways, I think this year, Yuna's step sequence was not her best, but her choreography sequence(i think thats what its called) was really well put.

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •