Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater?

Custom Title
    The length of Yuna's jump is out of this world, I knew Yuna has big jump. But recently, I re-watched Yuna's olympic LP fan cam. And that 3Lz-3T really surprised me, The length of the first Lz of the combo (from where she leave the ice to landing) is almost 3 times her body length. And most of her other jump scales are around 2 times her body length as well. Then, I watched some other lady skaters and even men skaters. Nobody seems trumps her in this. EXCEPT FOR Patrick's early years 3A (3-4 times his body length Gosh). I am really amazed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    As a Yu-Na fan I love anything and everything that accents her magnificence. And for that reason I don't get the hate for Mao by some misguided fans, almost solely on Youtube. In my view I like the idea that Mao is one of the greatest skaters ever. To say something like Mao sucks only diminishes the quality of my skater. I am so glad that Yu-Na has skated in this era basically because of the strength of the Japanese ladies and because the competitions with her and them have been memorable. That last group in the Olympic free skate was brilliant and one of the best and most memorable competitions ever and my girl came out on top of THAT group and by a large margin.... What is to hate? I think a lot of Yu-Na fans feel as I do although I acknowledge it is easier to be charitable when on top. On the other hand I see a lot more mean spirited comments directed at her and her fans here and everywhere.
    Exactly!

This is in its way like the great tennis rivalries, such as Federer/Nadal, Borg/McEnroe, and Sampras/Agassi. Maybe I'm just greedy but my philosophy is, why wish for one champion alone when I can have two?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Brian Orser = Chiron?
    LOL! Taking the analogy a bit too far. Besides, unless either of Hanyu or Fernandez wins the OGM, I wouldn't equate Orser with Chiron just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by yyyskate View Post
    And most of her other jump scales are around 2 times her body length as well. Then, I watched some other lady skaters and even men skaters. Nobody seems trumps her in this. EXCEPT FOR Patrick's early years 3A (3-4 times his body length Gosh). I am really amazed.
    I respectfully and highly disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6okZP60talY&t=3m20s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e9g_5e52mk

^

Medalist
    To answer the original question:
    Nerves of steel and concentration in her competitions.

Kim is a really good skater. She has good jumps and solid technique although her jumps aren't the best EVER as some may say.
    She does have the best Lutz and 3Lutz-3T out of all the ladies in this quad.
    Her programs are choreographed well, though not always interesting.
    Much like Witt, she has nerves of steel and which makes her one of the great competitors in figure skating history, by being able to perform well when
    it matters most-be it Olympics or Worlds.
    Her huge lead is somewhat undeserved in my opinion, but that's for a different thread.

Actually, it is pretty easy to see where Kim's huge leads over her rivals come from. Her jumps are solid. Every element, and especially her jumps, get positive GOE. This will automatically blow away skaters who make mistakes.

At the 2013 world championships Kim got a total of 10.23 GOE on her seven jump elements. Why? She didn't fall down, She didn't under-rotate, she had good speed going in, good height and distance, good form in the air, good flow on the landing. Asada had negative GOE on the first three jumps and a total of minus 0.84 overall. Kostner got 5.64 GOE total on her first six jumps, but gave almost all of it back with a downgrade and fall on the last one. So Kim starts with a ten point advantage right out of the box, just by landing her jumps.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Actually, it is pretty easy to see where Kim's huge leads over her rivals come from. Her jumps are solid. Every element, and especially her jumps, get positive GOE. This will automatically blow away skaters who make mistakes.

At the 2013 world championships Kim got a total of 10.23 GOE on her seven jump elements. Why? She didn't fall down, She didn't under-rotate, she had good speed going in, good height and distance, good form in the air, good flow on the landing. Asada had negative GOE on the first three jumps and a total of minus 0.84 overall. Kostner got 5.64 GOE total on her first six jumps, but gave almost all of it back with a downgrade and fall on the last one. So Kim starts with a ten point advantage right out of the box, just by landing her jumps.
    Exactly. Kostner also popped her loop which cost her ~1 GOE point.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Eh, a lot of the +GOE is undeserved. Kim's 3Sal is only a +1 GOE jump. Her spins are +1. She got a lot more points for those elements than she should have. The second half of her choreographic step sequence was underwhelming as well and got overscored.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    LOL! Taking the analogy a bit too far. Besides, unless either of Hanyu or Fernandez wins the OGM, I wouldn't equate Orser with Chiron just yet.
    Well, presumably Chiron educated lots of young heroes.

Yuna Kim's strongest points (per the thread's topic):

She's SO overscored.
    Her layback is so ugly.
    Her spiral is butt-ugly.
    She doesn't point her toes.
    She's so robotic and expressionless on the ice.
    She looks like she's bored and doing a job.
    Her programs are so boring.
    Her 3Salchow is weak, she can't do a 3Loop and she Lips!

Did I miss anything? Oh, yes:

She's sooo cocky and arrogant, boasting about her charitable works! A real selfless person would be anonymous.

There, I think I got all her strong points. Anything else?

She's SO overscored.
    Her layback is so ugly.
    Her spiral is butt-ugly.

She's sooo cocky and arrogant, boasting about her charitable works! A real selfless person would be anonymous.

Water from the Fountain of Youth combined with a vial of her tears will grant you eternal life.

~high art~
    Aww these girls can cry all day long and Yuna will still take her +2 GOE for her finished elements and 14 million dollars a year

She's SO overscored.
    Her layback is so ugly.
    Her spiral is butt-ugly.

Krislite, something to make you feel better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLj8Nf7ezVQ

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Water from the Fountain of Youth combined with a vial of her tears will grant you eternal life.
    Eh? Why isn't the fountain of youth or her tears sufficient for eternal life?

Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    Krislite, something to make you feel better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLj8Nf7ezVQ

You're welcome.
    Thank you!

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast