Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater?

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Eh, a lot of the +GOE is undeserved. Kim's 3Sal is only a +1 GOE jump. Her spins are +1. She got a lot more points for those elements than she should have. The second half of her choreographic step sequence was underwhelming as well and got overscored.
    Doesn't mean a thing. OK, so take 0.65 off the triple Sal combination, 0.5 off each of the two spins, and 0.8 off the choreo spiral sequence. Recompute.

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Eh? Why isn't the fountain of youth or her tears sufficient for eternal life?
    Because life is hard that way.

Also because it's from a movie.

~high art~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Doesn't mean a thing. OK, so take 0.65 off the triple Sal combination, 0.5 off each of the two spins, and 0.8 off the choreo spiral sequence. Recompute.
    Also if her "competition" had been marked under the same scrutiny the margin would have been even bigger than it already was. Her detractors can't win either way.

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Because life is hard that way.

Also because it's from a movie.
    OK. Just Googled it. You forgot to mention it has to be a mermaid's tears.

OK. Just Googled it. You forgot to mention it has to be a mermaid's tears.
    I'm trying to jokingly imply that Yuna is an ethereal creature.

... It's not working.

I'm trying to jokingly imply that Yuna is an ethereal creature.

... It's not working.
    Oh I see! Yuna doesn't point her toes or extend her legs because in her previous life she was a mermaid, and mermaids don't have legs or toes! That explains everything, and I guess that means her tears will work with water from the Fountain of Youth, too.

Oh I see! Yuna doesn't point her toes or extend her legs because in her previous life she was a mermaid, and mermaids don't have legs or toes! That explains everything, and I guess that means her tears will work with water from the Fountain of Youth, too.
    Well, you kind of need a special chalice too.

Also: http://i.imgur.com/SEI2Sfn.jpg

Just sayin'.

Well, you kind of need a special chalice too.

Also: http://i.imgur.com/SEI2Sfn.jpg

Just sayin'.
    Nice pic! She's diving into the [frozen] water.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Well, it's more than this. All three of the spins were overscored by .5 or more, the +3's on the second Triple Lutz were out of place, the first triple Sal got all +2's. I think she was overscored by 4 points technically. I feel the PCS were also "objectively" overscored, but they were appropriate as compared to what the other contenders for a medal received (except Murakami - she is always held down). Still, those extra 4 points from GOE and also overly-buffered PCS are pretty unfair to the rest of the field, as it means she's nearly impossible to beat even though she doesn't actually have the technical content or choreographic difficultly/brilliance to really deserve it if someone else comes out and does better than her.

Although, there weren't actually any such "choreographically brilliant" Long Programs among the women for the 2012-2013 season that would have deserved to go much higher than Yu-Na in PCS. So it's sort of a fruitless gripe. But, at the same time, I think objectively accurate scoring is important. That's the whole point of CoP - quantifiableness.

Custom Title
    Well, it's more than this. All three of the spins were overscored by .5 or more, the +3's on the second Triple Lutz were out of place, the first triple Sal got all +2's. I think she was overscored by 4 points technically. I feel the PCS were also "objectively" overscored, but they were appropriate as compared to what the other contenders for a medal received (except Murakami - she is always held down). Still, those extra 4 points from GOE and also overly-buffered PCS are pretty unfair to the rest of the field, as it means she's nearly impossible to beat even though she doesn't actually have the technical content or choreographic difficultly/brilliance to really deserve it if someone else comes out and does better than her.

Although, there weren't actually any such "choreographically brilliant" Long Programs among the women for the 2012-2013 season that would have deserved to go much higher than Yu-Na in PCS. So it's sort of a fruitless gripe. But, at the same time, I think objectively accurate scoring is important. That's the whole point of CoP - quantifiableness.
    GOE and PCS are subjective part of CoP. That is why there are several judges. If score can be given objectively accurate, only one judge is enough. There is no way GOE and PCS can be given objectively accurate. That is the whole point of CoP. The objectively accurate scores you claim YuNa deserved are simply the subjective opinion of a skating fan.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    The objectively accurate scores you claim YuNa deserved are simply the subjective opinion of a skating fan.
    Anyone can look at Yu-Na's 3S that got all +2's and compare it to this from Kostner - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONViuMXi2nE&t=3m02s - which got less GOE, and you can see Kostner's is clearly better (it's HUGE). So, that's not accurate scoring.

The magnitude of the gap only matters if you can actually interpret it as the extra points needed to beat Yuna.
    The fact is, TES, GOE and PCS are highly correlated and not independent. She only seems unbeatable if you think that 20 point gap means Kostner needs two quads to beat Yuna.

You and I both know that is not the case. Both Mao and Carolina would automatically get a big boost in PCS if they went clean. The same holds with Yuna, who gets a big drop in PCS when she makes mistakes (like 2011Worlds). One popped Flip and suddenly that 73 in PCS is reduced to 69. GOE gets adversely affected too.

Again, the gaps in scores cannot simply be interpreted the way you think it does. A program and performance is a whole in any case, so even in the objective or ideal sense of CoP technical elements and program components and quality cannot be scored independently.

Custom Title
    Anyone can look at Yu-Na's 3S that got all +2's and compare it to this from Kostner - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONViuMXi2nE&t=3m02s - which got less GOE, and you can see Kostner's is clearly better (it's HUGE). So, that's not accurate scoring.
    Are you comparing different competitions under different judges? Nonsense. And, there is no such thing as accurate GOE scoring in CoP, in principle. There must be such thing as accurate decision by Tech panel though.

I don't see Kostner's is clearly better, either.

It's a bit odd to hear people complain that Yuna's inflated scores make her unbeatable when she's been beaten by a less than perfect Miki Ando (of all skaters). A mere triple Flip and a double-toe is the difference between her 128 points in 2011 Worlds and 148 points in 2013 Worlds. That's the real gap we're talking about.

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast