Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: What are Yuna Kim's strongest points as a skater?

I think oh Yuna as one great flavor. Then I also can't wait to see my other "top" ladies...Ashley, Gracie, Caro, Mao, Akiko, and several more. We don't want clones which sadly CoP encourages.

Custom Title
    This thread belongs in The Trash Can. Oops, wrong board!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    Hopefully rotating her triple flip would be a good start for Mao.

to matesup1: Carolina Kostner has a Salchow-like technique on her flip, which is not ideal.

Can explain me, please, what is salchow-like technique? I do not know what this means. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by mateusp1 View Post
    Can explain me, please, what is salchow-like technique? I do not know what this means. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Yes, I'm quite confused about this as well. Does it mean that Carolina bends her knees a lot before the flip or something?

Custom Title
    I thought I was the only one who didn't know what it meant. I'm glad someone asked!

Custom Title
    Please, correct me if I am wrong... I saw in a figure skating forum that a flip can also be called "toe-salchow", since they are kinda similar.

Custom Title
    She is fast and her jumps are spectacular, and she is good enough at everything else. I don't find that her programs move me, but that is true of every program under COP. I much preferred the ladies event when they did spirals, flew across the ice on their footwork sequences, and were expected to show all 5 triples. I wish Carolina and Mao were more consistent so there was a real rivalry at the top.

Custom Title
    Also, I have already seen that salchow can have different take off's(like the flip). Bending the knees is one type of take off.

Custom Title
    Does this question need to be asked again ?? we all know why she is the best

Please, correct me if I am wrong... I saw in a figure skating forum that a flip can also be called "toe-salchow", since they are kinda similar.
    I am far from an expert, but just from watching -- even though they both take off from the same edge, the toe-pick assist in the flip makes the mechanics of the jump completely different because the picking foot gets in the way of the body's natural rotation. You have to cross it over somehow, whereas a Salchow the rotation from an open position is completely natural. Something like that (?)

~high art~
    Sorry, I'm on mobile. I'll try to explain later.

Because no other skater went through hard training like she did. She borrowed an ice rink which was meant for "amusement park" after the closing hours because there were no skating rinks dedicated to figure skaters( still none ) She then left to train in Canada, leaving her friends (if any since she was so focused on her goals), entering to a whole different world. Language problems. Her rival does 3A, but Yuna couldn't, so she then trained to land 3A when only thing in return was back injury. Her problems with IB and Brian Orser, pressure from her country even though Olympic was her main goal. Korean Professor mocking Kim because she does too much endorsements( funny because at least she has earned so many titles, unlike SomeONe in IB Sports who hasn't won any international titles, but this professor decides to only attack Kim) Deciding to come back only because she wants to give newbie skaters a chance to skate at the Olympics ( which she successfully did). South Korea rejecting Skating Rink ONCE AGAIN. New anti fans (hired anti-fans from SOME COMPANY) constantly comparing with SomeONe.

To me, whenever Kim skates, I don't only see her skating skills, I also see her hardships that she went through in her entire life. Maybe that's why she's not nervous, or skates clean under immense pressure. She's gone through much worse that getting nervous on competition is the 2nd thing she worries.

Which other skater had similar situation like hers? let me know if there's any.

Custom Title
    Yuna has certainly gone through a lot of hardship, but I would say that is the case for all elite figure skaters, and they have all gone through hard training to succeed. Being from a smaller country can have disadvantages that you mentioned such as all the pressure, etc. but the flip side of that is that there are so many endorsement opportunities. Those same opportunities are not available in the US even to very successful figure skaters such as Michelle Kwan because the US simply has too many other famous athletes competing for attention and people don't really care about figure skating here. Leaving to train in another country is something quite a few skaters have done, like Arakawa and Yagudin. Dealing with injuries and adversity is something almost all athletes have had to do as well. Elena Bereznhaya had an almost fatal skull fracture and an abusive partner. Irina Slutskaya had a sick mother, she herself had heart problems and vasculitis for three years. Mao Asada had to deal with her mom dying. Joannie Rochette had to deal with that too, right before her Olympics competition. And of course no skater is immune from haters.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy
    I much preferred the ladies event when they did spirals, flew across the ice on their footwork sequences, and were expected to show all 5 triples
    Yes!! You took the words right out of my mouth. I miss all of that. I remember in Kwan's old programs like East of Eden, her footwork was so light, fast, and flowing. It wasn't start, stop, start, stop like the footwork of the CoP era. It was fast and blended seamlessly with the rest of the program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cheerio2 View Post
    Yuna has certainly gone through a lot of hardship, but I would say that is the case for all elite figure skaters, and they have all gone through hard training to succeed. Being from a smaller country can have disadvantages that you mentioned such as all the pressure, etc. but the flip side of that is that there are so many endorsement opportunities. Those same opportunities are not available in the US even to very successful figure skaters such as Michelle Kwan because the US simply has too many other famous athletes competing for attention and people don't really care about figure skating here. Leaving to train in another country is something quite a few skaters have done, like Arakawa and Yagudin. Dealing with injuries and adversity is something almost all athletes have had to do as well. Elena Bereznhaya had an almost fatal skull fracture and an abusive partner. Irina Slutskaya had a sick mother, she herself had heart problems and vasculitis for three years. Mao Asada had to deal with her mom dying. Joannie Rochette had to deal with that too, right before her Olympics competition. And of course no skater is immune from haters.
    Very well said! I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that Yuna went through some tough times; however, as Cheerio2 said, so have numerous other skaters. It's really not necessary to make this a competition on who has the biggest sob story.

~high art~
    I'm still on my phone but whatever.

The similarities between two jumps are they both take off on an backwards inside edge. However before the toe pick hits the ice Carolina "pushes" the edge and it goes to a pretty deep inside, making a deep curve. By that she gains some rotational force just like a Salchow jump. In short, her flip not completely toe-assisted.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NqYLMnyl8VA (starts at 7:40)

Yuna Kim moves her body's center of mass to her free leg. The toe pick of her right foot hits almost right behind the skating leg, after an almost straight line trace after a 3-turn. That is a perfect flip jump.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast